• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

cuponoodles

Reaction score
JCrew pants (and their clothing in general) fits like ****. They're a brand I try so hard to like, but I just can't get past their bloated prices and ****** fits.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they may fit you like **** but that doesn't mean they fit everyone that way. I've seen some great fits posted of J Crew stuff before....it can happen. I do think there stuff is pricey for what it is in many cases, but they provide a good looking palette of basics with a few eye catching pieces at relatively affordable prices for the masses. I've given up on all my J Crew stuff save for two of their chambray shirts i still have....the fabric is a little blah but over all they aren't too bad.....and a fatigue jacket I picked up for about 1/2 price last year.

Philip

Reaction score
For my body I find surprisingly the ludlow jackets to fit really well although the torso is a little long for my liking even buying short jackets. I don't have a problem with sleeve length with the short length jackets. The drape is not good bit that's because It's fused. As for the pants, luflow fit sucks, the ludlow slim version is much better but depending who you are might still want to taper

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
JCrew pants (and their clothing in general) fits like ****. They're a brand I try so hard to like, but I just can't get past their bloated prices and ****** fits.

In contrast, they are just about the only mainstream brand that fits me perfectly and don't seem to be faking their sizes to accommodate people who can't admit that they are actually overweight (not that I am implying that you are one of these people). Their chinos and their small slimfit shirts are almost like they were made for me, so I have got over my instinctive dislike of these kinds of manufacturers and learned to like JCrew. I agree that they are still too expensive for the quality however, and so I ever buy sale goods.

Mr. Bananagrabber

Reaction score
I got a pair of the merlot vintage cords, but ended up having to buy a pair with 2 inches longer inseam than I would have wanted. Do I leave them as they are and rock mad stacks:

Or take them to a tailor, shorten them to somewhere about here, and maybe also get them tapered a little more:

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

I got a pair of the merlot vintage cords, but ended up having to buy a pair with 2 inches longer inseam than I would have wanted. Do I leave them as they are and rock mad stacks:

Or take them to a tailor, shorten them to somewhere about here, and maybe also get them tapered a little more:

What are you wearing them for? If it's just casual, I would just stack it until you wash them (especially if you dry). Then reassess the length (sometimes cords shrink up to 2 inches in length). I would probably just tailor in the end though. Stacking seems to be getting a little overdone to me.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MartinLil

Reaction score
Mr. Bananagrabber, those cords are massive on you! Send them back and size down at least one size. Maybe two.

khoveraki

Reaction score
I agree about J.crew pricing themselves out of their own market. Even at the outlet store here, you fall in love with a piece and then check and it has two things: a three figure price and a made in china tag. Same with the BB stores around here. We have three and it's incredibly hard to find something not made in China, again with a triple digit price. Honestly after perusing the three stores over and over I'm starting to not understand the hype behind Brook's Brothers quality around here.

Matt44

Reaction score
Mr. Bananagrabber -- are those the "straight fit" vintage cords? They can't be either of the slim fits, but maybe the relaxed fit?

Last edited:

Mr. Bananagrabber

Reaction score

What are you wearing them for? If it's just casual, I would just stack it until you wash them (especially if you dry). Then reassess the length (sometimes cords shrink up to 2 inches in length). I would probably just tailor in the end though. Stacking seems to be getting a little overdone to me.

I washed and tried them, they shrunk up a little bit but I'm still going to need to head to the tailor. Wearing them casually, with some boots probably. Maybe to work since I can sort of make up my own dress code.

Mr. Bananagrabber, those cords are massive on you! Send them back and size down at least one size. Maybe two.

I would but I already sized down 1, the waist is pretty tight. Don't think I could do another size smaller there.

Mr. Bananagrabber -- are those the "straight fit" vintage cords? They can't be either of the slim fits, but maybe the relaxed fit?

Nah man, vintage slim fit. I even double checked the style code on the tag. Unless they were tagged wrong. I'd hate to see how the relaxed or bootcut fit. I woulda rather had the 484 slim fit but they didn't make those in merlot.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The thighs look baggy in the first fit pic.

If the second fit pic is how it currently looks (slimmer thigh), I say hem and taper from the knee down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads