• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Also, is 'thinsulate' something that you can buckle/button/velcro/zip in later, or is it an additional layer under the lining (i.e. 'built in')?

I believe the thinsulate is built in.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer the premium officers chinos. For me they fall between a classic and a regular fit. The material is heavy and sturdy, and they have a lot nice details.

I also like the classic fit broken-in chinos.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
There are generally two different lines of chinos: 1. Essential chinos (clean, crisp fabric, no distressing) 2. Broken-in chinos (heavier fabric, distressed in various places, less dressy) There are then several fits: 1. Classic fit (formerly called slim fit), come in flat front only 2. Regular fit, come in pleated or flat front 3. Relaxed fit, come in pleated or flat front 4. Giant fit (they may not make this anymore), flat front only EDIT: 5. They now also have something slimmer than classic fit called "urban slim". Likely too tight for a pair of chinos. If you're not overweight, anything bigger than regular fit is too baggy. Classic fit is not tight at all, but rather just a bit more European (it has a slight taper) to it, and I prefer these. I have several pairs of essential classic fit chinos and they are fantastic. Best to order online where you can specify cuff size -- you can only do this on essential chinos, though. Broken in chinos come with finished hems, no cuffs. Bottom line: classic fit or bust.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have one pair of regular fit that I like. The fit is "baggier" but it's a look that works with the right shirt or sweater.

I think the other bottom line to pay attention to is: no pleated front, flat front only!

Meekus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alito
Someone try the Jcrew peacoat?

I'm also interested, looking for a less boxy peacoat this winter and the J CREW price isnt too bad if its somewhat fitted.

Barrylicious

Reaction score
I have one from last year. It's not really fitted, but it's also not huge either. I like the fit, especially for layering over sweaters. Beware, at least on mine, two of the buttons have already fallen off. I don't know if it's a problem with the attachment method or I just got a lemon, but it sucks. I tried exchanging it late in the season last year but there weren't any in my local stores. Been meaning to email J Crew about it.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I prefer the premium officers chinos. For me they fall between a classic and a regular fit. The material is heavy and sturdy, and they have a lot nice details.

I also like the classic fit broken-in chinos.

These are the only ones I wear anymore.

I do have a few pairs of the classic fit in nantucket red and some other summer colors, and they tend to fit normal to slim, but I would not call them a slim fit at all.

Barrylicious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Have you sewn them back on?

No, partly because I'm inept at sewing and partly because they are attached with some odd stitching style because they need to hang about 3/4" off of the jacket to accommodate for the thickness of the wool.

I suppose I could take it to some random tailor and hope for the best, but I don't really feel like I should foot whatever bill that is due to shoddy original construction and/or flawed design. That and I can see some of the other buttons starting to unravel a bit too.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Barrylicious
No, partly because I'm inept at sewing and partly because they are attached with some odd stitching style because they need to hang about 3/4" off of the jacket to accommodate for the thickness of the wool.

I suppose I could take it to some random tailor and hope for the best, but I don't really feel like I should foot whatever bill that is due to shoddy original construction and/or flawed design. That and I can see some of the other buttons starting to unravel a bit too.

Assuming J. Crew CS doesn't work out, you've described a thread shank - if you can follow simple instructions accompanied by photos, try the following link: http://www.savvyseams.com/techniques/threadshank.php

Jpreme87

Reaction score
Does anyone have these in a 31-32w they might wanna sell?
blush.gif

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...~~~~/15377.jsp

kontai69

Reaction score
I just found out about this coupon code...
SHOPFALL {20% off $150+; expires 10.14.09}

I'm sure others like me have been waiting for such a code for a while. I just place a massive order and saved $100.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads