• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italy Trip.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I just got back from Rome and Florence, both wonderful visits.

I was struck by the affordability of the Zegna boutique. Shirts easily 50% off versus US stores. I picked up two Trofeo shirts that were beautiful and I'm not normally a Zegna guy. They seem to have stepped up their game. Customer service was five star.

Loro Piana had some amazing stuff but best I could tell it was more modest of a discount, say 25% off, maybe 30% on some items when VAT returned.

Be careful on VAT. Many retailers in Rome are slippery and won't provide the paperwork to get VAT back. You have to ask for it. Without it, the security folks at the airport can't do anything.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like I haven't seen you post in years though. Figured you were lost in the worsted jungles of Naples.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was struck by the affordability of the Zegna boutique. Shirts easily 50% off versus US stores. I picked up two Trofeo shirts that were beautiful and I'm not normally a Zegna guy. They seem to have stepped up their game. Customer service was five star.

Loro Piana had some amazing stuff but best I could tell it was more modest of a discount, say 25% off, maybe 30% on some items when VAT returned.

Be careful on VAT. Many retailers in Rome are slippery and won't provide the paperwork to get VAT back. You have to ask for it. Without it, the security folks at the airport can't do anything.

Geez Fran, I just got back from there also, and it's entirely possible we passed each other in the streets, lol.. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm planning a trip in May, maybe 3 weeks long. Which place do you guys think is the best place to kick back after the usual Rome/Florence/Venice sightseeing? I do want to see the Alps and since I'm planning to visit Venice, I thought perhaps to go more north like the Trentino-Alto region and maybe hike around the alps for a couple of days. Haven't heard a single mention of this region in this thread though so is it a bad choice? Would Piedmont or Lombardy be better choices for an Alpine experience?

Stelvio is pretty gorgeous if you're planning to travel up to Germany or the like. I wouldn't quite even call it Italy, but it is in Italy.

Last edited:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Seems like I haven't seen you post in years though. Figured you were lost in the worsted jungles of Naples.

Just lost in the jungles of high end audio and home upgrades which cut down a bit on my artisan clothing purchases.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Geez Fran, I just got back from there also, and it's entirely possible we passed each other in the streets, lol.. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

Sorry I missed you. Would have been fun to meet up.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking at most of the hotel recs from earlier in the thread (2010 or so) that people were saying were value and <100 euros, and are now >2-300 euros per night. Damnit.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I've been looking at most of the hotel recs from earlier in the thread (2010 or so) that people were saying were value and <100 euros, and are now >2-300 euros per night. Damnit.

Not for everyone, obviously, but I had tremendous luck with AirBNB in Rome in October. Was able to get a 2 bedroom, 3 story apartment with a rooftop garden in Trastevere for <$200 USD a night. It helped that it was shoulder season, and I again understand many appreciate the comforts of a hotel, but the place was very well-furnished and three blocks up from the Tiber. As someone who never tries to spend much time in my room while in Italy, it was more than adequate.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not for everyone, obviously, but I had tremendous luck with AirBNB in Rome in October. Was able to get a 2 bedroom, 3 story apartment with a rooftop garden in Trastevere for <$200 USD a night. It helped that it was shoulder season, and I again understand many appreciate the comforts of a hotel, but the place was very well-furnished and three blocks up from the Tiber. As someone who never tries to spend much time in my room while in Italy, it was more than adequate.
Thanks, I'll check it out - cheapest time would be september/october?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Thanks, I'll check it out - cheapest time would be september/october?

Shoulder seasons are always cheapest (early spring and early fall). Depending on where you're looking winter can be pretty cheap too. It really all depends. No one is looking to go to the Amalfi in February...

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've done a lot of AirBnB in Italy and overall it's getting better. Rome seems to be the worst (I mostly stay in Trastevere too), the apartments tend to have more (minor) issues than other places eg issues with the boiler, leaking shower hose and iffy wifi in the last place. By contrast, Bologna, Modena and Milan were much better and cheaper. Turin/ Piedmont last month was ok too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads