• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket just too big for me to bother with?

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
suitfit2hj0.jpg

suitfit1nm1.jpg

I know how much everybody loves these threads, but a bit young and a bit inexperienced, so I figured I'd ask a few old pros. Unfortunately, I don't really know anybody (or, at least, trust them), so I'd love to hear what ya'll think.

My feeling is that the chest and waist are too big (the loose button doesn't help) and that the shoulders are borderline. The jacket is about an inch longer than I'd like to be (but only about .5" longer than the various "rules" say it should be), but it has high pockets so I think it could be shortened. I realize you can't judge length from the pictures. Sorry about the angle, too. I couldn't find a stool for the 5' midget who took the pictures to stand on.

So, here I am. Keep it or throw it back?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
At risk of offending edmorel, I will add that that coat is cut really straight, whereas you clearly need something much more crooked.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
The thing is that there's meat under the shoulders all the way to the end. I think the problem is that the collar wants to sit too wide for my neck. When it sits more naturally (without the fold you see in the back picture), then the shoulders are too big. I tend to think that that would be fixable by taking in the chest a little, though. Am I wrong?
Originally Posted by Manton
At risk of offending edmorel, I will add that that coat is cut really straight, whereas you clearly need something much more crooked.
I guess I'm not really in on this one. Would you elaborate?

Styk33

Reaction score
The jacket is bunching up at the top near the neck. It looks like you might have a big chest from the back view, but from the front it looks like the jacket is loose. Others could chime in, but the cut of the suit looks like it doesn't fit you right.

Is that a single pocker jacket? With such a tight shot it is hard to tell, but the pinstripes seem overbearing for some reason.

If it was me, I would not keep/buy the jacket as it does not fit. Plus it looks like it would be a lot of work for a tailor to get it to fit properly. There are tons of jackets that can fit better with a bit of tailoring.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoulders are ~ 1/2" too big. oddly, i thought the rest seemed to fit ok in the pic (again hard to tell from the tight shot). but i wouldn't sink the money into the tailoring as it will be pretty expensive to correct the shoulders.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like it but it would be helpful if you could post the whole jacket, or a full body shot.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
It looks like it but it would be helpful if you could post the whole jacket, or a full body shot.
I agree. It's hard for me to tell about the fit given what is shown.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
I'll try and get some more pictures, but the aforementioned midget nearly bit my head off when I asked her to take those.

Styk33: gotta explain to me what a single pocker jacket is. I have no idea.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pedantic Turkey
I guess I'm not really in on this one. Would you elaborate?

Look at that first pic of you. See how open the jacket is in the chest, how much shirt it shows? See, in particular, how far the collar of the coat stands away from the shirt collar?

In tailoring parlance, that coat is cut "straight." A "crooked" coat would grip your neck more closely, and be a bit more closed up in the front. The way this is accomplished is complicated; or at least, describing it would bore you. But, essentially: imagine you are looking at the coat straight down, from overhead. "Crooking" that cut would entail taking the shoulders and "bending" them forward.

Really, what it entails is lowering the neckpoint, and lengthening the width of the backparts in relation to the foreparts.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
I guess it doesn't help that the front button is loose.

I wonder if what you're seeing is more a product of that than anything else. This whole thing might have been a waste of time... sorry.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pedantic Turkey
I guess it doesn't help that the front button is loose.

I wonder if what you're seeing is more a product of that than anything else.

No. Look how the coat pulls at the waist button already. See how the stripes bend? Tightening that will only make the problem worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads