• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puffer Jacket in (Mercerised) Cotton

mjg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I love my puffer jacket for its utility, warmth, and comfort, but I dislike its synthetic composition, i.e the nylon outer and lining (inside is feather and down). I was thinking about having it recreated in a cotton, maybe a mercerised cotton? So as to somewhat come close to the smoothness of the nylon?

Someone I spoke to is able to do this for me, for a decent price. I would be recreating my favourite existing jacket, which is a lightweight puffer quite like this.

I did think of silk, but it doesn't overall seem right.

So, mercerised cotton through and through? Inner and outer.
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I believe it would not only be more comfortable, but more stylish too. I think one big reason puffer jackets want so much for style points is because they're always made of nylon.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more specific. *Cotton* down jackets like your example already exist. I'm assuming you want mercerized so it's shiny like the original puffer jacket? I would guess it's gonna look tacky and/or cheap in that fabric.

mjg

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more specific. *Cotton* down jackets like your example already exist. I'm assuming you want mercerized so it's shiny like the original puffer jacket? I would guess it's gonna look tacky and/or cheap in that fabric.
Even just where are the cotton down jackets? Honestly, point one out to me. I've looked high and low, maybe just not in the right places.
I do like the satin effect of the mercerisation.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other issues could be the cloth weave and weight.

The cloth will need to be extremely tight weave to avoid down quills coming through everywhere. The other reason nylon is often used, on at least one side, is because it's lightweight and down won't puff up (how it holds body heat) effectively if it's incased by a fabric with any heft to it.

mjg

Reaction score
Even lining is cotton

Lining is polyester

The problem you're gonna have is that down jackets tend to use water resistant shell because down can't get wet which cotton is going to allow unless it's waxed kinda like this L.L. Bean waxed cotton down jacket or this one.
Thank you considerably for showing me those anyway. I feel like even the nylon on a puffer isn’t waterproof itself though. Especially on the lightweight ones. Imagine, if your lightweight puffer was all cotton it could be as comfortable as a shirt and go under another jacket. All breathable

mjg

Reaction score
The other issues could be the cloth weave and weight.

The cloth will need to be extremely tight weave to avoid down quills coming through everywhere. The other reason nylon is often used, on at least one side, is because it's lightweight and down won't puff up (how it holds body heat) effectively if it's incased by a fabric with any heft to it.
This is true. Good point. I would need to test if the quills would go through mercerised cotton. Or I thought maybe double layer thin cotton.

The puffing-up is also a good point. Especially on a lightweight jacket. I’d have to think. I think there would be downsides and this ‘stiffness’ would be one but I still feel I’d enjoy the benefits like the softness and breathability of the cotton. Like a duvet you can wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads