• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Allsaints leather jacket too big? Opinions please!!

floyd71

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'd appreciate some opinions on this. I've made my first major leather jacket purchase, but I fear I'm between sizes. I bought an Allsaints jacket in medium, I usually wear a size 38 jacket. When I look at it now, it just seems like it has no shape when unzipped. When I zip it up, it looks okay I guess. Wee bit over the shoulder line. I have comfy enough room underneath for a sweater. I added a pic of my t-shirt underneath to show that I am quite skinny under there lol. I should've half-tucked the shirt so you could see my belt and buckle to judge the jacket length, but the jacket is most definitely covering the belt (in both the medium and small).

I tried the small and it was quite tight when zipped up, but felt really moulded to my arms etc otherwise. Slightly restrictive but nothing crazy if I had it unzipped. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the small size unzipped. Layering would be almost impossible I think, but I did intend to wear this with t-shirts only. If something like that stretch out, it might be perfect. Quite tight across the chest, you can see it doesn't look great zipped up. Here;s the small:

Do leather jackets like this stretch over time? It seems extremely soft, sooo nice hehe but I'm so torn between the sizes. If the leather does indeed stretch a bit, then maybe the small will stretch over the chest area and might end up looking like how I want it. I've never owned something like this before, so I don't really know. What do you think...

Thanks!!

floyd71

Reaction score
Oh interesting, thanks guys. It just feels on the roomy side when I put it on, especially when unzipped, and my bank balance took quite a knock for this so I guess I'm having second thoughts as to it being less than perfect :/

DeadBoy

Reaction score
The small is too small, you said so yourself. So if the medium is too roomy and you're worried about buyers remorse, maybe just return it and move on?

floyd71

Reaction score
I messed up and it's too late to return it, I can only exchange for another size or store credit. I think the small was a better fit unzipped, and if the leather ends up stretching across the chest then maybe it won't be so bad. But I've never had experience with leather jackets and how much they wear in or stretch, so maybe I shouldn't be counting on that.

Thanks for the opinions!

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Take it from someone who's tried that before... It almost certainly won't work. At least not the way you're hoping. If those are your only options, I suggest you keep the jacket that fits you just fine. Or start lifting a lot to get the more snug fit you're hoping for.

floyd71

Reaction score
Take it from someone who's tried that before... It almost certainly won't work. At least not the way you're hoping. If those are your only options, I suggest you keep the jacket that fits you just fine. Or start lifting a lot to get the more snug fit you're hoping for.

Ah! The small would always look worse in the picture, but what I wanted to know is if it would stretch out enough in the long run to fit well...this was helpful, thank you.

I did need an excuse to get to the gym.

LA_Rockets_22

Reaction score
Hey, I am curious how much the medium ended up stretching out?! I am literally having the exact same dilemma with the Cora All Saints jacket small/medium question. My medium fits about like yours did. Are you happy with it? How much did it change since septemeber when you first posted?

Thank you!

floyd71

Reaction score
I haven't worn it too much since it's summer now where I live, but I have worn it enough I think...It has not stretched out, I don't think it's snug enough to do so. It still wears exactly as I got it, the sleeves are a bit more worn in but I wouldn't say they've stretched.

I'm not sure the small size would've stretched either, it was very snug but I do wonder if it'd have worked with the way I've been wearing it so far (t-shirts only, no layering and unzipped).

I would say I was between sizes. I don't think I completely regret not going for either size and just waiting for the perfect fit, because I do like it - the leather is soooo soft and I dig the zip designs, and it'll fit even better with some layering in winter, so maybe I've been overthinking it. Wearing it as is, it is still FINE and others seem to think so too, so it's definitely not a wrong fit.

For what it's worth, I still turned to it instead of all my other jackets when I needed to grab one in a pinch! It might be slightly different for you, we are talking such small margins here that yours might be fine...good luck :)

LA_Rockets_22

Reaction score
Thank you! That is super helpful. I really appreciate the detail in the response, and based on that, I think I am going to stick with the medium.

As a side note, I know what you mean about wearing it open with a tshirt (that’s what I usually do), but I have to say it was really nice wearing it zipped (comfortably) last night when it was actually cold.

floyd71

Reaction score
Well. Who knew this would be an ongoing saga. Deadboy was right. If it doesn't fit right, it just doesn't fit right. I knew the medium was JUST too roomy from perfect. But it was still pretty good and I've enjoyed the couple years with it.

I returned to visit the UK now. All Saints is not in my home country. Thought I'd humour myself. Tried the small to be sure again, and it is indeed too small. That thing would not have stretched and would've been a wrong choice. I tried another medium, and holy hell this fits perfectly. Better than my medium back home that I originally bought. So the cut is slightly different enough that it feels fantastic. Maybe no difference can be seen in the attached pic, but the difference between "good enough" and "perfect" has been an eye opener.

But bird in the hand, I don't and can't regret going with what I had in front of me at the time. Not sure if there's any point to this post other than I guess a smaller fit won't stretch and you can't count on going to the gym to fit into a looser fit. Either accept or move on! As for this perfect fitting medium right now, I could just get it and try sell the old one. Who knows. Would be an expensive lesson but I am an overthinker doing his thing. A perfectly fitting leather jacket is a beautiful feeling ?

Cheers

Attachments

• 0C5BD270-BA64-4522-9A8F-68D27FA5398B.jpeg
    0C5BD270-BA64-4522-9A8F-68D27FA5398B.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 798

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads