• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the shoulder on this MTM suit worth reconstructing? Or better to just have the entire jacket re-m

Nguyenning

Reaction score
So, I made a post about this suit a few weeks back, went to the tailor and tried having the shoulders just trimmed down... got it back today and it looks virtually the same. Good thing is, I'm not paying for any of these alterations but I'm wondering is this even fixable by reconstructing the shoulder? Or would it be best to just re-measure and remake this MTM jacket? The left shoulder just seems too big and that indention is quite glaring... even from the back-view it looks like it's too big, but that may just be how I stand?

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulder doesn't look too wide - it seems to be just too square and constructed for your sloping shoulders. I'd ask for a full remake with that in mind.

facet

Reaction score
You can try posting in the tailors thread as you'd likley get a more educated opinion on it's fixability. For what it's worth, it looks like the same problem that I had with my slimmer fitting suits. It was fixable, the sleevehead just has to be reshaped; but it was really hard to find a tailor that could/would do that, and I had to be extremely explicit in explaining what needed to be done.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is a lot of work involved.

there is way too much padding
sleeves off
reduce padding
trim away additional fabric.
baste
fit
see if the fit is seriously improved
and finish

sleeve length might have to be adjusted as well.

so yes, alot of work
and not cheap

was this bought from a reputable store/tailor?
or ordered online/or from an inexpensive tailor.
and where are you located?

Nguyenning

Reaction score
there is a lot of work involved.
there is way too much padding
sleeves off
reduce padding
trim away additional fabric.
baste
fit
see if the fit is seriously improved
and finish
sleeve length might have to be adjusted as well.
so yes, alot of work
and not cheap
was this bought from a reputable store/tailor?
or ordered online/or from an inexpensive tailor.
and where are you located?
reputable MTM business in Dallas, TX

I'm not covering any alterations. They've been really great about making sure this suit ends up perfect on me (after all, the better it looks on me, the better it looks for them when someone sees it on and asks "where'd you get that suit? it looks awesome!" haha

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall your earlier thread, it does not look as if much has been done. is the tailor out of his depth? Try them on remaking it - that might galvanise them into trying harder.

As you have it back can you post the additional views so as to close off the earlier thread please?

Last edited:

Nguyenning

Reaction score
I recall your earlier thread, it does not look as if much has been done. is the tailor out of his depth? Try them on remaking it - that might galvanise them into trying harder.
As you have it back can you post the additional views so as to close off the earlier thread please?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads