• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the phrase 'I love you' something you say very often?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Rarely with girlfriends - I feel like using it too soon would be cruel if things go south in the future.
Originally Posted by Listi
you shouldn't be saying it to someone who you don't know pretty well, and only to someone who you intend on staying with for a while...
agreed. I sincerely believe you should be ready to marry the gf or at least be ready for a long painful breakup before you use those words. I haven't said it to my current gf of the last year and I think it may spell our downfall....

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I am sincerely sorry for you.

actually , i am sorry for all those who posted here they never say it. is life for them really that devoid of love (or love giving) , or, so cynical that anything conceptually affirmative is automatically sorted away into the
'Hallmark gimmick' 'im not going to participate' portion of their brain?
frown.gif

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's one of those things...i think i don't say it often just because i'm constantly aware/self conscious about all of th cheesiness associated with the phrase. i always feel a little bit like i'm in a bad coming-of-age movie whenever i say it to friends or family in earnest. doesn't mean i don't mean it, it's just that the phrase has been so 'commercialized'.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
it's one of those things...i think i don't say it often just because i'm constantly aware/self conscious about all of th cheesiness associated with the phrase. i always feel a little bit like i'm in a bad coming-of-age movie whenever i say it to friends or family in earnest. doesn't mean i don't mean it, it's just that the phrase has been so 'commercialized'.

I love you, tomgirl!
smile.gif
inlove.gif
smile.gif

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I love you, tomgirl!
smile.gif
inlove.gif
smile.gif

...and here's when the inspirational girl-voiced indie music soundtrack kicks in and we walk away into the distance with our arms playfully around each other. aww!
inlove.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always reply with "You don't love me, you're in love with the idea of loving me". Also when a girl is done chewing you out for something - after the one hour long filibuster about your abhorrent ways, reply with "So what are you saying?" It's good for another half hour of "blah blah blah" stuff to ignore.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say, "I love you" to my wife, mom, and sometimes my dad and brother. On the other hand, I say, "I love _______(chocolate, John Mellencamp, rye whiskey, etc)" a LOT and about many things.

sjd

Reaction score
I never really said it (or say it) to my family growing up. However I say it everyday to my wife and 9 year old son.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
actually , i am sorry for all those who posted here they never say it. is life for them really that devoid of love (or love giving) , or, so cynical that anything conceptually affirmative is automatically sorted away into the
'Hallmark gimmick' 'im not going to participate' portion of their brain?
frown.gif

I love you, brother
inlove.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
...and here's when the inspirational girl-voiced indie music soundtrack kicks in and we walk away into the distance with our arms playfully around each other. aww!
inlove.gif

You're supposed to say, "I WUV YEW TOO, TAGGY-POO!" and rest your head in my heavage.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't said it in at least four years, and back then, rarely. Only to significant others. My first long-term girlfriend wanted me to say it a lot and I never really felt that it was appropriate. It turned out I did love her in a significant way, but not the way that could have ensured a healthy, long-term relationship.

SwB411

Reaction score
I am married with two beautiful daughters. I say it to them every chance I get. Also tell my mom and dad I love them every time I talk to them. Call me sentimental.....

I have not said it to my girlfriend yet though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thisandablunt