• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is becoming a lawyer a mistake?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, whaaaaaa? I must have did it wrong
confused.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
If my kid wanted to become a lawyer, I'd tell him not to bother unless he could get into a top 5 law school.
I agree, unless he knows that he wants to practice in a certain state. In that case, a law degree from the state's law school may be more valuable than a law degree from Harvard.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
what if he wants to be a lawyer and gets a free ride at a good regional school
That's a different scenario than the one I'm talking about, obviously. You lumped everybody into one category -- I provided a counterexample.

the whole "opportunity costs" thing is bs, btw
Why?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
That's a different scenario than the one I'm talking about, obviously. You lumped everybody into one category -- I provided a counterexample.

Why?

it's really not a different scenario.

opportunity costs is a bullshit argument imo. you don't actually lose anything but time. people say "well in those three years you could've made $X rather than make zero going to law school" don't get that many law students don't have the type of bachelor's degree required to earn a decent salary.

do you really think someone with a bachelor's in english literature is going to regret missing out on 3 years of starbucks wages when he could go to law school and possibly become very wealthy as a lawyer?

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I agree, unless he knows that he wants to practice in a certain state. In that case, a law degree from the state's law school may be more valuable than a law degree from Harvard.

exactlyyy. that's what most people don't understand. in many states a local degree (in my case LSU or tulane) is all that any local employer can reasonably expect -- people with degrees from higher up schools like harvard or even lower t1 schools like texas-austin aren't coming to louisiana, for example, for work. most of the people who work as lawyers down here got their degrees down here. common sense.

Plestor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
it's really not a different scenario. opportunity costs is a bullshit argument imo. you don't actually lose anything but time. people say "well in those three years you could've made $X rather than make zero going to law school" don't get that many law students don't have the type of bachelor's degree required to earn a decent salary. do you really think someone with a bachelor's in english literature is going to regret missing out on 3 years of starbucks wages when he could go to law school and possibly become very wealthy as a lawyer?
How much of the major choice is due to the ability to go become a lawyer tho. You have a total of 7 years of opportunity cost for the entire tertiary education. Obviously once the undergrad chips have fallen this is different, but who really completes an undergrad in english lit with no intention of going onto law and the choses to later?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plestor
How much of the major choice is due to the ability to go become a lawyer tho. You have a total of 7 years of opportunity cost for the entire tertiary education. Obviously once the undergrad chips have fallen this is different, but who really completes an undergrad in english lit with no intention of going onto law and the choses to later?

you're asking who really completes an undergrad in english lit with no intention of going to law school?

LOTS.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

A college friend went to Boston College for law school. Since he is practicing in Mass, he feels he got a heck of a deal. The BC alumni network is strong and BC is a good law school also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads