• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 3

Willie5566

Reaction score

The lte iPad is a puzzling device. I figure anyone who owns a tablet has a smart phone that can tether legally / illegally for less than the service plan the lte iPad requires. That's how I and every one else I know does it. You always have your phone on you and can charge it in your car, office, home so battery life is not an issue.

Are you riding legal or illegal? My understanding of legal tethering is it is still $15 and I believe the speeds are not that good, certainly not as fast as LTE. I just do not see the value tethering.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought you were planning on a Nexus 7 instead?
Mine doesn't really get that hot, maybe yours needs to be looked at? Warm? Sure, but not "hot." Most test reviews have shown they don't get that much more warm then the 2 did. Take it into an Apple store to get looked at.

+1 Actually, mine doesn't really ever get particularly warm... let alone hot or uncomfortable.

bmathe02

Reaction score

Are you riding legal or illegal? My understanding of legal tethering is it is still $15 and I believe the speeds are not that good, certainly not as fast as LTE. I just do not see the value tethering.

Well it depends on your device. I am on sprint 4g WiMAX so it is slower then lte but if you have an lte device (sprint has 2 or 3 thou as of now lte service is non existent for them so have not upgraded just yet ) you will get the same speeds as your lte phone. And depending on which android phone (until apple realse an lte phone) rooting can be a simple task if you want to save the 15 bucks. Make sure you have unlimited data thou. Worst case your carrier throttles your speeds.

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score

Save your money because when you do buy it the ipad 4 will be out!

But why buy the 4? The 5 will be out within a year of the 4. Just wait for the 5. But the 6 will be out shortly after the 5, so just wait for that . . . See the problem? Just buy one, use it, and be content with it.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you using instead?

I haven't found much use for it aside from watching old TVO episodes, Flipbook, Kobo and the CBC music app :bored:

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a skeptic and figured I'd never use it but now I do all my browsing on it. Mainly it's because it's so much faster to start up than my laptop plus easy to carry and move

blairh

Reaction score

I was a skeptic and figured I'd never use it but now I do all my browsing on it. Mainly it's because it's so much faster to start up than my laptop plus easy to carry and move

Faster to start up? Do you shut down your laptop when not in use? I keep mine in sleep mode virtually the entire time so it's instant on.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are you using instead?
I haven't found much use for it aside from watching old TVO episodes, Flipbook, Kobo and the CBC music app :bored:

I mainly bought it for travel so I don't have to take out my laptop during security, but it's just too clunky for browsing. Typing's a chore, etc.

So now I just bring my macbook air along.

blairh

Reaction score

You should not do that

Why not? I used to shut down my laptop back in the day when I wasn't using it and then learned that colleagues were simply putting their MacBooks to sleep and only shutting down roughly once a month. I did extensive research online and found no reasons not to do the same. I've been doing this for roughly four years with various Mac laptops and have had no issues.

Willie5566

Reaction score
It kills the battery life. That's what they told me at the Apple Store when I had to replace my battery.

blairh

Reaction score

It kills the battery life. That's what they told me at the Apple Store when I had to replace my battery.

I seriously doubt this.

"If you use the Mac every day, simply putting it to sleep when it’s not in use or overnight is probably the best choice."

People need to do what they are comfortable with but I can tell you I've had no issues keeping my MacBook Air in sleep mode 99% of the time when not in use. I shut it down roughly once a month. No problems with the battery or anything else. Same with the MacBook Pro I owned prior.

I was apprehensive at the start when I started to learn that people I knew when about it this way but I would never go back to my old ways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads