• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 3

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been using Macs only since 2008. It's been a wonderful transition from sluggish PCs.
An iMac? I would say yes. Get the base model and it should last you for years. You might want to upgrade the RAM when ordering just to be future proof. I think you'll find iTunes on a Mac to be a superior experience plus Apple is completely redoing iTunes this fall for a superior experience.

I've just been trying iTunes 10 on a friends computer at work, seeing if it's improved any since last time I used it a few years ago. One thing that got me straight away, the "iTunes Music Store", how come there's no bloody music? I see plenty of apps and games for iPhones and iPads, but there's no songs at all, not one!! :violin:

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks guys! i'm one of those stone-age types who has spent 8-10 hours a day working on a computer for the last 30 years but has no curiosity whatsoever about how they work or h ow to make them better. i want to turn them on and use them as a tool. in that way, the mac sounds ideal. on the other hand, we've got all these pc stuff (monitor, second hard-drive, etc), so I can switch out the box pretty cheap and with the savings, buy another ipad! stay tuned. good news is the old one hasn't died yet, so i can afford to think about it for a while. but i appreciate all of the advice, you guys are great. like the computer-literate kids i never had (my daughter is even farther behind than i am. damned liberal arts majors).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hard part will be getting all your stuff over to the Mac. Once it's there, things work pretty well, though like any other computer, it will have good and bad days.

Look over the Switch 101 section at Apple to see what's involved: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

They also offer a $99 service to transfer your stuff over from a Windows PC, but I don't know how well that works.

You should also budget for whatever new software you may need. For example, if you use Word, and want to keep using it, you'll need to get Microsoft Office for Mac. For most other things like photos, music and web browsing, you can just use the stuff that comes with the computer --- the software included with a Mac is actually really good, unlike the crapware that fills up most Windows PCs.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
foodguy, visit a Mac store and have somebody show you some of the features of the computer system (come to think of it, there's probably some good demos on the Apple website, look for anything OS X related). I enjoy things like speed and performance in a computer, but the awesomeness of the Mac operating system is the reason why I'll keep buying Macs. There's lots of features, and they all just make sense together, and the integration with all of my other gadgets really is, IMO, seamless.

The transition should be easy, there's just a few things that are different from windows that you learn quickly.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

For most other things like photos, music and web browsing, you can just use the stuff that comes with the computer --- the software included with a Mac is actually really good, unlike the crapware that fills up most Windows PCs.

i think iPhoto is great, mostly because I'm awful with photo editing. My wife is a Photoshop expert, but I have neither the time nor care to learn, but if there's a photo that's a little off, I just click the edit button and it pops up a few bars that I can play around with until I get the right adjustments and the majority of the time it makes the picture look much better than before.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got a new iPad today, unexpectedly. I was having what I thought was a minor problem, so I stopped by Apple to see a Genius. After I explained the problem, he said, "We'll replace it." I was stunned, but obviously pleased. :)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The new updated one, which is what my old one was.

No, they just refreshed the iPretina with the new dock connector and faster innards. Same screen though.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best thing about the MS Surface is the keyboard attachment. Been saying for a while that Apple needs to steal that idea. Until they do, this looks like a fantastic solution.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...olio?wt.mc_id=global_redirect_news_fabricskin

Thin, light and seamlessly built into the case.

rohde88

Reaction score

The best thing about the MS Surface is the keyboard attachment. Been saying for a while that Apple needs to steal that idea. Until they do, this looks like a fantastic solution.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...olio?wt.mc_id=global_redirect_news_fabricskin

Thin, light and seamlessly built into the case.

I am strongly considering a surface for the emailing and word editing.

Ipad is great for browsing and media, but the incessant popups and lack of offline ability kill it for me.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am strongly considering a surface for the emailing and word editing.

Ipad is great for browsing and media, but the incessant popups and lack of offline ability kill it for me.

You lost me with both of these. What do you mean?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Going to sell my 3rd gen ipad and get an ipad mini I think.
I will get the mini when my current 3rd gen bites the dust or if the mini with retina display comes out. The size of the mini seems perfect for my needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads