• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 3

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1

I never shut down my MBA. Current runtime is 41 days. I only shutdown/reboot when I absolutely have to due to software updates or if it crashes once in a blue moon.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
apologies if this has been mentioned already....

but WTF? Yahoo mail doesn't work with this ******* thing?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got it, I dunno, 2 months ago? Tried to set up Y! mail, didn't work, didn't work.

I did some google searching, appears there are some issues with Y! mail. Some sites said to go off of the new Y! mail because that was the problem, others said the new worked and classic interface was the problem. I tried both ways, no dice.

Haven't gone back to it since. Haven't gone to the genius bar either, maybe that's the next best step. But what a PITA that is.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll try again tonight, and I'll dig into the settings you describe, thanks. I did try paving it down and restarting about a dozen times when I first did it, to no avail, but always worth tryiing again. I'll come here and post the error message if I get it again.

It's my wife's iPad, so after the first day or so when I couldn't get it to work I sort of threw up my hands, and she's pretty much fine with the web interface, but it's dumbness not to use the native mail app as it's one of the strengths of the iPad.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just to be clear, are you saying Yahoo won't work with Apple's Mail app or you are having problems accessing Yahoo's website to check the mail there via Safari? If it's the former, I could have sworn I read somewhere that Yahoo decided to **** with the ability to sync their mail with Apple's own app. They want people to use their own Yahoo app instead. I can't verify if this is true or not as I have not used Yahoo in years.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bought the hard graft case. it's ok - looks nice but the design doesn't account for buttons really well. overall i'd say it is about 30% overpriced (cost v. perceived value).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love mine. my main computer is a desktop, so the portability is a big factor. i use it mostly for light browsing and reading. it's a great travel companion ... went to hawaii with 3 guidebooks loaded on it; paris with 2 and a couple apps. i've got a couple of subscriptions on it that i love -- the nyt (yeah, i know) ... but it's great -- the new edition downloads in about 30 seconds and then i can get up and take it wherever i want. i've also got the new yorker on it and i may even give up my print subscription.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a somewhat related matter, after a long history as a pc guy, i find myself with an ipad and an iphone and an iquestion -- should i get an imac? itunes, cloud just seem so clunky through the pc interface. so, a) is there a big improvement with the mac, and b) how hard is the transition (jeez, i sound like man of lint).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you do on your Windows PC. What do you do on your Windows PC?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i use the pc mostly for writing/blogging/researching. kind of "hub-of-the-home" functions ... storing photographs, etc.
partly i just read the isaacson biography of jobs and the whole idea of seamless integration really appeals. curious about whether the reality meets the theory, though.

blairh

Reaction score

on a somewhat related matter, after a long history as a pc guy, i find myself with an ipad and an iphone and an iquestion -- should i get an imac? itunes, cloud just seem so clunky through the pc interface. so, a) is there a big improvement with the mac, and b) how hard is the transition (jeez, i sound like man of lint).

I've been using Macs only since 2008. It's been a wonderful transition from sluggish PCs.

An iMac? I would say yes. Get the base model and it should last you for years. You might want to upgrade the RAM when ordering just to be future proof. I think you'll find iTunes on a Mac to be a superior experience plus Apple is completely redoing iTunes this fall for a superior experience.

As for the cloud.......I think it's great but Apple still needs time to figure it out completely. Much like Siri, iCloud has room for improvement. I'm not sure though you need a Mac to have a superior iCloud experience. I do think you'll appreciate the iMac in every other scenario.

You could also wait a few months and see if Windows 8 appeals to you before making a decision.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Honestly, the iMac is the best "all-in-one" computer on the market. They have a 21" and had a 24" before that. Nothing even comes close in terms of price/value/performance. Having said that, the current design is LONG overdue to be redone and the innards are badly in need of an update. If you really absolutely had to have something today, I'd say pull the trigger. But if you can wait, I recommend you doing so until they get around to updating this thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads