• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Attire Question

Jizzman

Reaction score
I have read the interview attire page from Styleforum and found it very helpful, however for this job interview I do not need to wear a suit. I have been thinking about going with a light blue shirt, dark/navy blue tie, navy blue pants and black shoes. I have also thought about getting a navy blue blazer. Do these colors all work well together? Should I go with brown shoes instead of black? Does the blazer need to match the pants?

Thanks for the help

Jizzman

Reaction score
1) Do not call yourself "Jizzman" during the interview

2) navy pants go with a navy jacket only if you bought them together in identical fabrics as a complete suit

Thank you for the response. :) So what if I get the jacket and pants separately? Would the navy jacket have to go with black pants? Would a black jacket go with navy pants?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not "needing" to wear a suit doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad idea to wear one. I'd err on the side of being a little too dressed up for an interview unless you were positive it would be a bad idea.

Having said that, if your wish is to wear a solid navy jacket, I would suggest medium gray would certainly be superior to either black or navy dress pants. And you would get plenty of use from them when not interviewing.

CaymanS

Reaction score

Would the navy jacket have to go with black pants? Would a black jacket go with navy pants?

This question indicates to me that you are about to make a horrible wardrobe mistake or possible a series of wardrobe mistakes.

I have been interviewing for about 10 years now. I've seen ties that were tied by someone who was clearly doing it for the first time, I've seen shirts that were clearly worn the day(s) before, I've seen white sport socks with shiny black shoes, I've seen it all.

Rather than overthinking this, let me idiot-proof this for you: if you have a SOLID navy or SOLID grey suit, wear it. The light blue shirt and the navy tie will look fine with either. Ideally, if you have a navy tie and a navy suit, there should be difference in texture, but I'm not gonna go all 2.0 on you when you're clearly just trying to put a single cohesive outfit together.

If you don't have a suit like the ones I described, and you acquire a navy blazer for the occasion, your pants HAVE to be light grey. Not dark grey - LIGHT grey. Black pants should not only be avoided in this instance, but should be essentially eliminated from your closet.

For an interview, you want to do the talking, not your clothes. Looking neat and well-groomed should be the focus.

Also, find the good taste thread and read the entire thing. You will need to do some destroying before you do any meaningful building.

Jizzman

Reaction score
This question indicates to me that you are about to make a horrible wardrobe mistake or possible a series of wardrobe mistakes.

I have been interviewing for about 10 years now. I've seen ties that were tied by someone who was clearly doing it for the first time, I've seen shirts that were clearly worn the day(s) before, I've seen white sport socks with shiny black shoes, I've seen it all.

Rather than overthinking this, let me idiot-proof this for you: if you have a SOLID navy or SOLID grey suit, wear it. The light blue shirt and the navy tie will look fine with either. Ideally, if you have a navy tie and a navy suit, there should be difference in texture, but I'm not gonna go all 2.0 on you when you're clearly just trying to put a single cohesive outfit together.

If you don't have a suit like the ones I described, and you acquire a navy blazer for the occasion, your pants HAVE to be light grey. Not dark grey - LIGHT grey. Black pants should not only be avoided in this instance, but should be essentially eliminated from your closet.

For an interview, you want to do the talking, not your clothes. Looking neat and well-groomed should be the focus.

Also, find the good taste thread and read the entire thing. You will need to do some destroying before you do any meaningful building.

Thank you for the response. I have a couple questions for clarification.

1.) You said if I have a navy tie and a navy suit, there should be difference in texture. Are you implying if bought separately there will be an obvious difference in texture, or are you suggesting that there should be a difference in the texture? I would really like you to elaborate here if possible.

2.) So light grey pants with a navy blazer. For future reference, why should black pants be eliminated from my closet?

Thank you very much.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the response. I have a couple questions for clarification.

1.) You said if I have a navy tie and a navy suit, there should be difference in texture. Are you implying if bought separately there will be an obvious difference in texture, or are you suggesting that there should be a difference in the texture? I would really like you to elaborate here if possible.

2.) So light grey pants with a navy blazer. For future reference, why should black pants be eliminated from my closet?

Thank you very much. 

1.) He is referring to the suit (as a whole) vs. the tie. If the blue suit is a smooth worsted wool, the blue tie should have a texture to it, to offset it from the suit.

2.) Standard SF advice deems odd black trousers non-ideal for any coherent outfit. With a navy blazer/odd jacket, your safety zone should be the grey or khaki color family.

Jizzman

Reaction score
1.) He is referring to the suit (as a whole) vs. the tie. If the blue suit is a smooth worsted wool, the blue tie should have a texture to it, to offset it from the suit.

2.) Standard SF advice deems odd black trousers non-ideal for any coherent outfit. With a navy blazer/odd jacket, your safety zone should be the grey or khaki color family.

And what about if it's a black blazer? Would you wear black pants then?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And what about if it's a black blazer? Would you wear black pants then?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Black blazer with black trousers is considered a double foul on SF. Wearing a black suit would not be recommended, grey or navy suit being the better choices (as previously stated by others). A black blazer (which is less versatile than an navy blazer) with odd black trousers, creating the false impression of a black suit, is even more inappropriate. Aside from the fact that it is near impossible to find odd trousers in the same black, texture, and sheen, to even attempt passing it off as a suit.

It looks like you are resisting the prevailing advice on this forum. Which is fine, you can do as you wish. Just know that as a business professional, your outfit will stand out, more than likely in a negative way.

Jizzman

Reaction score
Short answer: No

Long answer: Black blazer with black trousers is considered a double foul on SF. Wearing a black suit would not be recommended, grey or navy suit being the better choices (as previously stated by others). A black blazer (which is less versatile than an navy blazer) with odd black trousers, creating the false impression of a black suit, is even more inappropriate. Aside from the fact that it is near impossible to find odd trousers in the same black, texture, and sheen, to even attempt passing it off as a suit.

It looks like you are resisting the prevailing advice on this forum. Which is fine, you can do as you wish. Just know that as a business professional, your outfit will stand out, more than likely in a negative way.

Thanks for the advice. I am not resisting the advice, I am just curious as to why some things work and why some don't. Asking questions is how I learn. Thanks again for the help. :)

DC2see

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. I am not resisting the advice, I am just curious as to why some things work and why some don't. Asking questions is how I learn. Thanks again for the help. :)

Just my opinion, but tradition. Brown shoes used to be forbidden in the city, to be reserved for country estates. But that's long gone. Black suits are considered somber (like for undertakers) but can also be fine for business among the Japanese, who consider business a serious affair. Some things won't be noticed (like a repp tie is slightly more casual than a micro-pattern) while others glare out (white socks with black dress shoes).

But business dress is one of those conventions expected to be understood to a degree, like other professional etiquette ( don't order garlicky spaghetti while at a business meeting in a white shirt, or nurse a single cocktail while networking).

My take on your initial q: sounds a bit heavy on the blue. You may look like Tobias or otherwise wash out. Perhaps a tie w a little other color.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i strongly urge you to look at fit pics from members "Easye", "Spoopoker" and "Gmmcl" - three of the best dressers on here, and they do it on a fairly slim budget by SF standards. so if you are looking to get started, and on the right path, they know what they are doing.

my personal style advice for an interview at a workplace where suits are not the norm? your personal grooming speaks volumes, clip your nails, get a fresh haircut, any facial hair should be tidy. to the point of no stray eyebrow hairs, nasal hairs,etc - a nail buffer, and tooth whitening help also.

you will want to be immaculately groomed, leaving no visual distractions. so your posture, and ability to communicate will be commanding the attention.
what to wear if not a "Suit" , - it's really hard to fail at wearing tweed. in colder weather, brown cords and a tweed with brown shoes will come across as well put together, but not trying too hard. like i said, check out the above mentioned members fits. and groom as described. also, in your briefcase or bag,-carry breath mints, eye drops,and tissues. -And don't go too heavy on the cologne.
satisfied.gif

good luck!
38R

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads