• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
CC252A8D-DCCA-43FC-8E9A-C9E10356780D.jpeg
768F9A92-F3B1-4B16-8C44-3E4BA105A449.jpeg
My en route monkey boot from Ray at RenavGoods. I helped him source the hides for this make up and are from a father and son tannery in Italy so unbelievably ltd run. He got enough for ten pairs and are all this spec. It’s a washed and tumbled horsehide so should be nice and soft. I find these fit true to UK sizing and have a few of these as think they’re just about the best value for quality available. Mine are due next week.

He’s on Instagram as RenavGoods
2D70937D-B16E-403E-BF82-8EE85FF64D83.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2066823 View attachment 2066825 My en route monkey boot from Ray at RenavGoods. I helped him source the hides for this make up and are from a father and son tannery in Italy so unbelievably ltd run. He got enough for ten pairs and are all this spec. It’s a washed and tumbled horsehide so should be nice and soft. I find these fit true to UK sizing and have a few of these as think they’re just about the best value for quality available. Mine are due next week.

He’s on Instagram as RenavGoods
View attachment 2066819
Beautiful leather!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a cautionary tale: a couple of years ago I commissioned some boots from Junkard, and I was delighted when they arrived:

Two years on, they still look fantastic but I have to limit how often I wear them and for how long on the advice of my doctor, because the soles are just so hard and heavy that they actually cause serious damage to my (already weakened) knees (I have ligament problems caused by years of playing soccer). I don't blame the makers: these boots were built to my exact specifications. I think the problem is the combination of double leather and Dainite commando soles: they are very inflexible and feel like clogs. I compare them to the similarly heavy-duty Vibram commando soles I have on another pair of shoes (from Grenson) and whereas the rubbery Vibram soles have a lot of give, the Dainite soles might as well be solid wood. So I really cannot recommend Dainite. It looks the part, but it's pretty much functionally useless, even dangerous, as a material and I would also perhaps rethink the double-leather if I was going to do this again.

I am going to have the soles rebuilt with Vibram commando soles by an excellent local cobbler here, and it's going to be expensive, but it's either that or have a nice-looking pair of boot-shaped ornaments!

basu13

Reaction score
So, a cautionary tale: a couple of years ago I commissioned some boots from Junkard, and I was delighted when they arrived:

Two years on, they still look fantastic but I have to limit how often I wear them and for how long on the advice of my doctor, because the soles are just so hard and heavy that they actually cause serious damage to my (already weakened) knees (I have ligament problems caused by years of playing soccer). I don't blame the makers: these boots were built to my exact specifications. I think the problem is the combination of double leather and Dainite commando soles: they are very inflexible and feel like clogs. I compare them to the similarly heavy-duty Vibram commando soles I have on another pair of shoes (from Grenson) and whereas the rubbery Vibram soles have a lot of give, the Dainite soles might as well be solid wood. So I really cannot recommend Dainite. It looks the part, but it's pretty much functionally useless, even dangerous, as a material and I would also perhaps rethink the double-leather if I was going to do this again.

I am going to have the soles rebuilt with Vibram commando soles by an excellent local cobbler here, and it's going to be expensive, but it's either that or have a nice-looking pair of boot-shaped ornaments!
You could also try the Dr Soles half soles. Low profile, good grip a d pretty flexible as well. Or Ridgeway from Dainite, which is also good and flexible at the same time. Vibram commando soles are pretty decent in terms of flexibility as well.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score

Sorry to hear this. I also have some Junkards on Dr Sole half soles and they are manageable in terms of flexibility. In general though, I am going to get all my Indonesian boots changed to single midsole as this is the major factor in lack of flexibility for me. Hope they come out much better once the cobbler works their magic. Please report back on your experience.

Franky

Reaction score
IMG_4107.jpeg IMG_4108.jpeg IMG_4110.jpeg IMG_4111.jpeg

In person, pretty damn good. Always wanted black on black with a cuban in the past, but was too insecure to wear a cuban. Don't care anymore LOL. Size 8EE brannock and got a 41EE from them. Fit is a little loose in the instep but really good otherwise. Decently sleek in person even in a double wide. Well see how they wear in since I’ve never had a shoe with an unstructured toe. The configuration is posted on their instagram as one of the latest posts I believe.

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
View attachment 2077923 View attachment 2077925 View attachment 2077927 View attachment 2077929

In person, pretty damn good. Always wanted black on black with a cuban in the past, but was too insecure to wear a cuban. Don't care anymore LOL. Size 8EE brannock and got a 41EE from them. Fit is a little loose in the instep but really good otherwise. Decently sleek in person even in a double wide. Well see how they wear in since I’ve never had a shoe with an unstructured toe. The configuration is posted on their instagram as one of the latest posts I believe.
Nice. I got a pair of Shinki shrunken horsehide similar spec a while back. Yours look dressier, the leather a little dull on the shrunken hides. 🥃

Franky

Reaction score
Nice. I got a pair of Shinki shrunken horsehide similar spec a while back. Yours look dressier, the leather a little dull on the shrunken hides. 🥃
I have seen yours in the tagged tab of their instagram page while I was waiting for mine haha. Beautiful boots!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads