• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indonesian Boot Makers (Onderhoud, Benzein, RenavGoods, Santalum, etc)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HomunculusTheElder

Reaction score
These look amazing man!
Thanks man! These turned out even better than I was hoping for. Rizky is truly an artist.

A vast majority of his renderings of the SVC02 model feature some variation of a half sole, together with an unstructured toe for a sleek, almost torpedo-like look, which I find very appealing.

I however wanted to go with something a bit different, and I really think that the structured toe (and heel!) together with the thicker outsole make for more a "muscular" look which for me really puts this pair over the top.

Last edited:

crisscross

Reaction score
These shoes all look great but I was wondering if folks can share their experience in build quality and comfort? I live in Berlin and after years of happy service with RMW I am thinking of getting boots from Briselback or some of the other makers. The feedback on Reddit seems to be that sizing is often hit-and-miss with Indonesian bootmakers. With customs and shipping, does it make sense to go this route or stick with European brands like Vass?

HomunculusTheElder

Reaction score
In my experience the build quality of the Indonesian makers far exceeds that of comparably priced western brands. They are hand-lasted and held-welted, two extremely labor-intensive processes that one would pay astronomical prices for in the west (i.e Role Club and Kreosote prices). Their sizing is the same as Red Wing, Grant Stone, or any other boot brand. Here is my write up of my most recent pair of Onderhoud's:

These shoes all look great but I was wondering if folks can share their experience in build quality and comfort? I live in Berlin and after years of happy service with RMW I am thinking of getting boots from Briselback or some of the other makers. The feedback on Reddit seems to be that sizing is often hit-and-miss with Indonesian bootmakers. With customs and shipping, does it make sense to go this route or stick with European brands like Vass?

Reaction score
So it seems like the top boots makers from Indonesia is between sagara and winson (Midas for more casual).
I was thinking to got derby boots or low cut lace to toe with Indonesian leather (I wanna see the quality of their sourced leather too)

I wanna ask what should I get for good look& quality and comfort? Does it better to pick Sagara or Midas?

HomunculusTheElder

Reaction score
So it seems like the top boots makers from Indonesia is between sagara and winson (Midas for more casual).
I was thinking to got derby boots or low cut lace to toe with Indonesian leather (I wanna see the quality of their sourced leather too)

I wanna ask what should I get for good look& quality and comfort? Does it better to pick Sagara or Midas?
Not sure what information led you to reach this conclusion. Winson is for sure one of the finest dress boot makers in Indonesia, but there are plenty of other makers that are at least as good as Sagara, such as:

Txture
Junkard
Briselblack
Prof Barnets
Renav Goods
Fortis
Onderhoud (if you can get a pair).

I would take a look at some of these others before making a decision. Personally from what I have seen the finishing on Sagara’s is actually a cut below the aforementioned brands.

This isn’t to say Sagara is a bad brand at all, they make some cool models, and their Cordmaster is for many the monkey boot par excellence, but their upper stitching tends to be just a bit less pristine than the others. On the flip side, I think they tend to have a bit more heft, so in that regard it is a bit of a trade-off.

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score

Plenty of other good options. Tahura and Junkard are ones I have personal experience with both of them are fantastic - as good as any of the others if not better.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm biased since I work with Midas, but a pro for them is that they seem to be rather careful with clicking of the domestic leather, which result in a solid lowest level. We've sold some hundred pairs of Midas by now through Skolyx and people seem to be very happy with the Indonesian pull-up and roughout we use for these. I have two pairs and they've aged great.

Here's after six months of a lot of wear during harsh Swedish winter with only cleaning and Saphir nappa conditioning (worn a month or so since last time cleaned and conditioned here though):

DSC08815.jpg

Same pair after pigmented shoe cream:

DSC08981 kopiera.jpg

Natural semi veg tanned after seven months of hard wear, also with only cleaning and nappa conditioner, next to a new one:

DSC02189 kopiera.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm biased since I work with Midas, but a pro for them is that they seem to be rather careful with clicking of the domestic leather, which result in a solid lowest level. We've sold some hundred pairs of Midas by now through Skolyx and people seem to be very happy with the Indonesian pull-up and roughout we use for these. I have two pairs and they've aged great.

Here's after six months of a lot of wear during harsh Swedish winter with only cleaning and Saphir nappa conditioning (worn a month or so since last time cleaned and conditioned here though):

View attachment 2232017

Same pair after pigmented shoe cream:

View attachment 2232019

Natural semi veg tanned after seven months of hard wear, also with only cleaning and nappa conditioner, next to a new one:

View attachment 2232021
Emil makes a great dress boot too
20240820_105424.jpg
20240820_105430.jpg

HomunculusTheElder

Reaction score
Should have included Midas on this list too of course. Fantastic craftsmanship and one of the only monkey boot designs that I think doesn’t look ridiculous 😅
Not sure what information led you to reach this conclusion. Winson is for sure one of the finest dress boot makers in Indonesia, but there are plenty of other makers that are at least as good as Sagara, such as:

Txture
Junkard
Briselblack
Prof Barnets
Renav Goods
Fortis
Onderhoud (if you can get a pair).

I would take a look at some of these others before making a decision. Personally from what I have seen the finishing on Sagara’s is actually a cut below the aforementioned brands.

This isn’t to say Sagara is a bad brand at all, they make some cool models, and their Cordmaster is for many the monkey boot par excellence, but their upper stitching tends to be just a bit less pristine than the others. On the flip side, I think they tend to have a bit more heft, so in that regard it is a bit of a trade-off.

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 6 18.8%