• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants are too tight in the seat, and the shoulder style is unflattering (too sloping).

redboat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for feedback on the fit of my first Indochino suit. My initial impressions are that the sleeves are too big in diameter and too long. I can't quite put my finger on the exact aspects of the suit jacket that I need to change, however the jacket feels too big. Please let me know what you think I should change! Thanks!

JACO

Reaction score
I own 3 and would highly recommend.

For one, I found this review of Indochino some time ago that I can't for some reason find now where either the wall street journal or some other such magazine took some high fashion types (the sort of folks who think dropping 3k on a suit is reasonable) to compare 4 different suits. Basically came back saying quality of both suit supply and indochina was akin to anything you can get with a fancy label on it at Bloomingdales or Neiman Marcus or some such retail outfit that will charge you 1k+ for an off the rack number with a fancy label. Here's a forbes article that is close: http://www.forbes.com/sites/edzitron/2012/05/15/indochino/

As to the results, my first one was a tad bit too wide in the shoulder for my tastes; I want the seam directly on my shoulder, not .15 inches over it. I also felt like the crotch was a little roomy and the pants too short. But these are probably a reflection of stylistic assessments by the guy who did the measurements rather than a manufacturing problem. I've tweaked my measurements since, as I have gained weight and every suit I've ordered has fit better than the last. I couldn't recommend them more, particularly if you can't stomach the idea of buying a 500 dollar suit that requires massive tailoring just to look "OK".

The only problem I have is the fabrics tend to be a bit conservative. No bright Royal Blues, no really popping colorful plaids. Mostly subdued hues and responsible pinstripes and staid plaids. One needs a statement blazer or something a bit fun every now and then, and Indochino doesn't exactly overlap with suit supply's embrace of fashion forward coloring. I'll probably spring for a suit supply next time around just to see what is up (the store was very impressing and the fit off the rack pretty nice) but I love the fact that when I order a properly fitted suit from indochino, I open the box and hang it up and it's ready to wear the next day and fits me perfectly.

I agree with this almost entirely. In the past I had purchased a number of off the rack slim/athletic suits from Macy's, and all the tailoring in the world couldn't help them look good on someone with a non-standard frame (like me; large shoulders, narrow waist, athetic fit; most jackets don't drape right for me). I have purchased 4 suits from Indochino now (not all at the same time), and agree that once you get your measurements lined up in their system it is basically the best bang for the buck. I would love to see more plaids and cool patterns though, aside from their standard lineup of navy/charcoal/grey/sharkskin stuff that's relatively limited in scope. I would order much more from them I think if they had more unique patterns and colors.

Does anyone have the classic navy blazer?
http://www.indochino.com/product/classic-navy-blazer

I need a staple navy blazer that I can wear with anything from odd trousers to jeans... Indochino has my fit down, so I thought this may be the best way to go. Nothing else I've tried OTR ever works http://www.styleforum.net/forums/posts/add/threadId/52943right for me, except the Suit Supply York fit and some cheapo Tommy trim blazers. I just don't want it to look like an orphaned suit jacket (patch pockets maybe?).

Any photos or experience with this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the Essential Navy 3 piece suit and wear it probably the second most of any of my suits. This Classy Navy blazer just looks exactly like the jacket from that suit. If you've already got your fit down from Indochino and enjoy their stuff I would grab it when they have next nice sale (free shirt, 40% off, whatever). One thing I'd recommend is clicking 'Customize Now,' then 'More Customizations' and click 'Functional Sleeve Buttonholes' and 'Functional Butonniere,' and select a different Buttonhole Color for a bit of contrast (the contrast on the butonniere in particular looks sweet). I did this and thought small details like this look nice and help differentiate MTM from off the rack suiting (not a big fan of pick stitch look myself, but a lot of others like that). You can use the jacket in a million things (I just tuck the pocket flaps in when wearing with jeans or khakis to make it a little less formal, and you can't even tell there are flaps).

Hi everyone,

Looking for feedback on the fit of my first Indochino suit. My initial impressions are that the sleeves are too big in diameter and too long. I can't quite put my finger on the exact aspects of the suit jacket that I need to change, however the jacket feels too big. Please let me know what you think I should change! Thanks!

Overall the sizing and fit looks decent, but a tad long. How does each component feel? If you move around, does it feel looser than you prefer in any part? That's how you should incrementally adjust. You have a slight bit of scoliosis is looks like, where your left shoulder/arm (our right side in the picture) is dropping down, making your left shoulder and left arm appear longer. I don't think that's a problem with the suit, to anyone who commented above. I prefer my suits to fit a bit trimmer/shorter on the arm length (so .25" of shirt shows on wrist), so if it was mine I'd take about .50 to .75" off the jacket arm length. Similarly with the pants I prefer less break at the ankle, so if it was mine I'd want them about 1" shorter (so it just barely breaks as touching top of shoe line). Those shoes are a good combo with that suit.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I have the Essential Navy 3 piece suit and wear it probably the second most of any of my suits. This Classy Navy blazer just looks exactly like the jacket from that suit. If you've already got your fit down from Indochino and enjoy their stuff I would grab it when they have next nice sale (free shirt, 40% off, whatever). One thing I'd recommend is clicking 'Customize Now,' then 'More Customizations' and click 'Functional Sleeve Buttonholes' and 'Functional Butonniere,' and select a different Buttonhole Color for a bit of contrast (the contrast on the butonniere in particular looks sweet). I did this and thought small details like this look nice and help differentiate MTM from off the rack suiting (not a big fan of pick stitch look myself, but a lot of others like that). You can use the jacket in a million things (I just tuck the pocket flaps in when wearing with jeans or khakis to make it a little less formal, and you can't even tell there are flaps).

Picked this up actually on sale for $239.... now i have 3 suits and this blazer from Indochino and all fit perfectly.

I think the blazer is of different wool then the suit, a bit less shiny/formal. It's just what I needed.

I didn't go with patch pockets as I recently picked up a Ludlow cotton blazer that's more casual.

Last edited:

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I agree with this almost entirely. In the past I had purchased a number of off the rack slim/athletic suits from Macy's, and all the tailoring in the world couldn't help them look good on someone with a non-standard frame (like me; large shoulders, narrow waist, athetic fit; most jackets don't drape right for me). I have purchased 4 suits from Indochino now (not all at the same time), and agree that once you get your measurements lined up in their system it is basically the best bang for the buck. I would love to see more plaids and cool patterns though, aside from their standard lineup of navy/charcoal/grey/sharkskin stuff that's relatively limited in scope. I would order much more from them I think if they had more unique patterns and colors.

BTW, I'm with you on all of this. I'd especially like to see more blazer options/patterns and heavier suits for the winter.

JACO

Reaction score
Weird. The site no longer lists the two founders though Google has a direct link here: https://www.indochino.com/about/founders

My guess is the business was sold and now run by a bunch of eCommerce guys: http://www.indochino.com/about/management

The site looks almost like a cheaper version of Suit Supply

Indochino and other MTM aren't really comparable with Suit Supply, in my opinion. If off the rack stuff fits you fine or with minimal tailoring, go with Suit Supply, because it's fashion forward and they offer a good product for the money. If off the rack stuff doesn't look good on your body's frame no matter the tailoring, it's probably because you have non-standard frame, and this is where MTM clothing and suiting shines. It's the best solution for non-standard fits that doesn't cost you $1K or more, and basically the entire reason why Indochino and Oliver Wicks exist.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Indochino and other MTM aren't really comparable with Suit Supply, in my opinion. If off the rack stuff fits you fine or with minimal tailoring, go with Suit Supply, because it's fashion forward and they offer a good product for the money. If off the rack stuff doesn't look good on your body's frame no matter the tailoring, it's probably because you have non-standard frame, and this is where MTM clothing and suiting shines. It's the best solution for non-standard fits that doesn't cost you $1K or more, and basically the entire reason why Indochino and Oliver Wicks exist.

What I meant was the site layout, not the actual product. I am well aware of the differences, and challenges between one and the other. The default view where you see various model poses, etc. was a knock off of Suitsupply.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could it be that suit supply bought indochino????

kovalchuk71

Reaction score
Indochino has their Dark Navy Cashmere blend suit on sale for $499 and it seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Anyone have any experiences/opinions on the 80/20 Super 120 Wool/Cashmere blend? Is the quality decent? Also, how dark is the "Dark Navy" color?

I'm looking for a suit for weddings this upcoming year, and HOPEFULLY (*fingers crossed*) medical school interviews come summer/early fall. Indochino has their Dark Navy Cashmere blend suit on sale for $499 and it seems like too good of a deal to pass up. Indochino is my only option because of my large legs (hockey player) and large butt. I have a 31" waist, but 27" thighs and a 39" seat :-(

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score
Can never understand why men with big feet get their pants legs so tapered. It makes the person look a bit out of balance.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you are right Alphall

The extreme narrow trouser bottoms makes his feet look like monsters.
The term we use to use was, "like a pair of gunboats".

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score
I am not sure if it is the suits or the tailor work being done on the suit however, just about every photo of the suits worn seem to lack the clean lines and silhouette of a good made suit. Something just seems off. I take it these suits are not fully canvassed with horsehair?

I am sorry but suits from this company and Suit Supply do not seem to be of the quality I would have for myself. To me I would rather have 2 good suit than 10 poor quality suits I'm of the mind quality over quantity. With that being said, I still believe the tailoring could be much better. In one photo the neck was too low and the collar work was bad as you can see the bunching up of fabric just below the collar. That should have been obvious to a good tailor.

The blue suit slacks need to have the waist, seat and thigh let out as the rear/seat seems too tight. The pull of the crease of the pants in front and back are tell tale signs that the pants are too tight. I understand younger guys want the slim look however your suit should skim your body not hugging it. I hear guys come into my shop telling me their women like their men's suit to be trim which is fine. I always tell them women can and do show their curves however, men should not especially in the slacks as it makes them look too feminine.

Last edited:

38offtherack

Reaction score
My son just received his "made to measure" suit (and I use that term very loosely) from Indochino that he had made for a wedding. He was measured by in store staff. It is probably the worst fitting suit I have ever seen on anybody. Could have bought a $99 suit off the rack that would fit better. One arm was 2 inches shorter than the other, the chest was too tight, the fabric pulled, pants were smooth in the front, puckered on the sides and drooped in the back. Looked totally cheap and sloppy. When I commented on it, they said their cookie cutter pattern couldn't be adjusted to take into account factors such as different arm lengths, one higher shoulder etc. I took it to my own tailor (since Indochino doesn't even have a tailor on site) and he said he has been asked to fix literally hundreds of Indochino suits. Just a huge ripoff. Made in China. You get what you pay for. Spend the extra five hundred bucks and get a suit made properly by somebody who knows what they are doing. Once you wear a good suit you will never go back to this crap.

I feel really bad for all of you who have been suckered into buying a suit from Indochino thinking because it is made to measure then it must be good. It's not.

Alpha11

Reaction score

My son just received his "made to measure" suit (and I use that term very loosely) from Indochino that he had made for a wedding.  He was measured by in store staff.  It is probably the worst fitting suit I have ever seen on anybody.  Could have bought a $99 suit off the rack that would fit better.  One arm was 2 inches shorter than the other, the chest was too tight, the fabric pulled,  pants were smooth in the front, puckered on the sides and drooped in the back.  Looked totally cheap and sloppy.  When I commented on it, they said their cookie cutter pattern couldn't be adjusted to take into account factors such as different arm lengths, one higher shoulder etc. I took it to my own tailor (since Indochino doesn't even have a tailor on site) and he said he has been asked to fix literally hundreds of Indochino suits.  Just a huge ripoff.  Made in China.  You get what you pay for.  Spend the extra five hundred bucks and get a suit made properly by somebody who knows what they are doing. Once you wear a good suit you will never go back to this crap.

I feel really bad for all of you who have been suckered into buying a suit from Indochino thinking because it is made to measure then it must be good.  It's not.

Could have not said it better this company and Suit Supply are hot what they claim to be.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eazy e lover