• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

images that you have in your mind, that you try to incorporate in your look

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sort of hard to think of a catchy tittle for this, but I have been thinking about this subject for a while. over the course of the past 40 years or so, I have accumulated mental pictures or images of men that I would like to emulate, or specific looks that I liked that I would like to incorporate into my own look. when I try to think of the image that I project, these different images are all part of it. I am guessing that we all have similar images. please share.

JFK in a simple gray single breasted suit, white shirt and dark tie.

sitting in a cafe, age 23 - I am wearing a pair if chinos, italian low vamp loufers, lands end candy stripe button down, blue unlined cotton blazer, simple gold pulsar watch. I have curly hair, a nice tan and am probrably wieghing in at 180 pounds. a very hot waitress tries to chat me up. possibly the very instant in my whole life that I was most attractive to the opposite sex.

about 20 years ago, a friend of mine who wore a wardrobe that consisted solely of mindnight blue double breasted suits, french blue shirts, dark ties, brown monk strap shoes. projected a sense of style mixed with extreme competence.

about the same time, another friend who wore (not exclusivly) a dark blue double breasted suit with a red window pane, and a crocodile belt. very exotic in my eyes at the time.

maybe 10 years ago, met a guy on a train who, it seemed, was both very sophisticated and also very wealthy. living in vienna, teaching some music related subject, although he was origionally american. he was on his way to switzerland on the train, and he expected the general manager of the hotel would be at the train station to pick him up. I can't remember the exact articles of clothing he was wearing, but it all gave off an attitude of luxury - plumy, maybe the right word. dark camel overcoat, small antique gold watch, very nice tie. he was maybe 60, very soft. soft, long white hair, pink skin, but very classy. all of his fabrics seemed to be very soft and almost made you want to touch them.

a guy I knew in London, a number one salesman for a distributor I had - one day he was wearing the nicest shirt I have ever seen. some type of herringbone weave, might have been silk, or a very silky cotten. I was literally mesmeraized by the shirt.

chucks shirt - met Carlo Franko, the shirt he was wearing had the second nicest fabric I have ever seen, also, looked very thick and luxurious to the touch.

about 10 years ago I saw a guy in a jazz club in paris - he was wearing a double breasted dark gray suit, and when he opened his jacket I saw he was wearing a dark maroon waistcoat. I had never seen anything quite so sophisticated.

fontana from L&O - great fabrics, great hair. looks tough while being very well dressed. doesnt look fopish or dandyfied at all.

anyway, when ever I think of the image that I project to the world, I am mixing the above somehow, and that is the aim I have. I am far from successful, but I am a work in progress.

how about you?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rather Proustian of you to have these sartorial memories.

I actually have a number of singular moments regarding style though I daresay I can't exactly list them all as specifically as you.

I thought the cover of Bowie's LIVE album was very stylish at one point in time. There was also a photograph by Garry Winogrand of a man in the early '60s wearing a cowboy hat, boots and a suit at the airport that somehow struck me as very stylish.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
248993qb7.jpg

drnoazm0.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton's recent pic of his cotton suit getup is one that pops to mind. There are many others not currently in the front of my mind.

Good thread.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alain Delon in Borsalino and many others movies...I wanted to be like him ...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I frequently think of Elliot Richardson. Easily the most stylish AG we've ever had.
489px-ElliotLeeRichardson.jpg
3269930ru9.jpg
3269930.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how John Kerry dresses, very understated, comfortable suits, shirts, with the occasionally pastel tie. This is how I'd like to dress professionally.
50849880gj1.jpg
P.S. He's the one on the right.
smile.gif

poelow

Reaction score
Larry Kudlow is my hero as far as business formal goes.

jeskali

Reaction score
kerry does dress well for a politician as does obama. too bad kerry is such an ass

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like that late 60's/early 70's elegant casual vibe, a la Alain Delon in Le Cercle Rouge (I grew a mustache after I saw this because of Delon) and John Cassavettes in Rosemary's Baby. Sometimes early Clint Eastwood captured this look too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics