• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will also preach the virtues of linen/linen blend jackets. One of the few ways to wear a jacket at all in Florida...

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
[Replying to Oli2012, who was querying the inclusion of a loafer in the list] I thought much the same but then again an Oxford brogue in tan or brown suede is about as casual as I get.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i always end up still wearing jackets when traveling to places like FL. I just feel ridiculous wearing a tie without a coat.

Balfour

Reaction score
^ It's unseasonably hot in London (low 80s, so a mild NYC summer day, I know).

Days like this make me wish I followed the habits of some of my colleagues (2 suits kept in the office; commute in shirtsleeves and cotton trousers). It really makes me question the value of caring!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^  It's unseasonably hot in London (low 80s, so a mild NYC summer day, I know).

Days like this make me wish I followed the habits of some of my colleagues (2 suits kept in the office; commute in shirtsleeves and cotton trousers).  It really makes me question the value of caring!

Man, I'd love it to be in the low 80s.

Don't all you English folks have butlers to drive you around anyways?

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Non chino just means, not like those sweatshop-made wrinkly things i wear on weekends and that I would never wear with a tie.

A Q on this. I just acquired some beautiful non-chino khaki fabric from Cacciopoli Napoli. I know the prevailing rule is that khakis get no pleats and no cuffs. However, I imagine this rule pertains to the chinos, right? I am thinking of getting single forward pleats with cuffs - is that an abomination on dressier khakis as well?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Q on this. I just acquired some beautiful non-chino khaki fabric from Cacciopoli Napoli. I know the prevailing rule is that khakis get no pleats and no cuffs. However, I imagine this rule pertains to the chinos, right? I am thinking of getting single forward pleats with cuffs - is that an abomination on dressier khakis as well?

You're really fine. The no pleats or cuffs on khakis bit is an example of preference stated definitely. While not the current trend, you won't raise any eyebrows.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a similar khakhi trousering from Fox and I will also get pleats + cuffs.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like pleats on linen and linen blends. On pure cotton not so much. I pretty much always get cuffs.

Been contemplating cuffs on any future pants.

Is there any type of pants you would not recommend cuffs on? For ex. chinos, jeans, flat front trousers...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads