• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have cream gabs, I like them.

I do too. Cream wool gabs, however, really must be in a heavier weight (mine are 11/12 oz.) in order to be opaque. Even then, they need at least a half lining so the pockets don't show through. All that works against their being worn comfortably when they arguably look their best, in warm/hot weather. Oh, the things we do for style. Another thing I did this year was have some cream trousers made up in a fine cotton gab; much cooler wearing and no need for lining.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mine are lighter tnan 11 though I can't remember the weight and they are half lined, but yeah,. when it's really hot, I don't reach for them. More for spring.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, what do we replace it with, then? The black oxford is not negotiable. Since I have three shoes on the list, that leaves two slots. Or if you can think of One Shoe that does everything the black osxford does not, i am all ears. Brown bluchers are the closest thing I guess. The thing is, those are versatile, but not essential IMO.

Well, it depends a bit on what ground we're trying to cover here. If the point ismto add a shoe that's more casual, maybe business casual, and versatile, then a couple of options come to mind, my personal favorites being (1) a brown pebble grain split-toe à la Dover, (2) a simple plain toe brown/cognac monk or (3) a budapester on less-than-brute last. Maybe a pair of brown wingtip boots if we try to round up the portfolio with something useful on rainy days.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Today at sundown, my gabardine office pants will become Shabbos pants. A miracle. And thank you both for the Ashkenazic transliteration.

My children lectured me on the inappropriateness of this. As a result, I change my tie. In fact, I switch to bowties.

Well, we'll never know what you really said, because you deleted it. I tried to resuscitate your post with all my DH might, but it was beyond my power. Perhaps if all the DHs gather in a circle and chant your name over a dead cat and burn an RJcat square with a flame lit by a Parisian gas lamp, we'll be able to bring it back from the dead.
Of course, simply owning the things and not wearing them (or wearing them well, for that matter) is insufficient. I think we all knew that. As for occasions: well, you don't need much of one to wear an odd jacket or a suit. I do much of the time. Ask Dopey. He wanders around Amsterdam Avenue in a tweed suit and a pith helmet.
And actually, that raises a good point. What I abhor most of all is treating all this stuff as a sort of costume. Something to play dress-up in. I wear my tailored things most any time I step out of my home. At the very least, I'll have on my pents and a nice bespoke shirt.
Nothing is wrong with oddball items. But there is good oddball and bad oddball. Then there is all oddball, which is always bad oddball.

I do not have a pith helmet and I do not walk on Amsterdam Avenue.

Geezer

Reaction score

Well, it depends a bit on what ground we're trying to cover here. If the point ismto add a shoe that's more casual, maybe business casual, and versatile, then a couple of options come to mind, my personal favorites being (1) a brown pebble grain split-toe à la Dover, (2) a simple plain toe brown/cognac monk or (3) a budapester on less-than-brute last. Maybe a pair of brown wingtip boots if we try to round up the portfolio with something useful on rainy days.

(1) a brown pebble grain split-toe à la Dover

This, though I'd query the pebble-grain.

As a Brit, I'd argue again for the brown full-brogue, but that may not work over the pond.

When I bought them, I wasn't sure about my 1992-vintage EG-made 88-last Fosters RTW "Dovers" in plain calf - but they were too good a buy to pass up in the sale twenty years ago. As time has passed, their versatility and "classicness" has grown on me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My children lectured me on the inappropriateness of this. As a result, I change my tie. In fact, I switch to bowties.

they are right, for shame my good friend. kavdod shabbos! however, im glad you raised your children so well.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

has it become dangerous? like in a '70s Scorcese movie?
I don't think so. I just have no reason to. I am a creature of habit and my paths are well-grooved. I am sure I have crossed it plenty of times and maybe walked along a block or two, probably behind Lincoln Center.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

why is, green hermes breast wallet, not on the list?

Because it is not merely to be acquired. It is earned.

I do not have a pith helmet and I do not walk on Amsterdam Avenue.

Do you ever wish you had one? If so, same difference.

I don't think so. I just have no reason to. I am a creature of habit and my paths are well-grooved. I am sure I have crossed it plenty of times and maybe walked along a block or two, probably behind Lincoln Center.

I don't understand. It is one of the major streets running through our neighborhood. How on earth do you avoid it? Lots of good food. Levain Bakery, for one.

I think you are just trying to avoid me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads