• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't Cordings make good twills too?
Recent acquisitions. Bills M3 cotton twills and Polo by Corneliani wool twills. Both flat front.
Can you think of any good combination for the Polo wools? They're medium-to-heavy weight, so I'm saving them for the colder weather.
IMG_1951.jpg

I've found their Preston/Corneliani pants to be excellent in terms of cut, fabrics and construction. I own several pairs in wool, cotton, linen, cord, etc. and they are the best pants I've ever owned and are a great value.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I think I'm in the minority of loafer fans. I even like them with (casual) suits. There are so many awful versions though, that I understand the hate. Chukkas, chelseas or monks are all probably better alternatives for the loafer spot on the List. but, for warm weather, I like loafers.

Geez, parker, what happened? You look like you've aged about 30 years since last month.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about black loafers?

'
useless, IMO.

I never wear my loafers with suits.

Wearing these today:

zs7Bv.jpg

Perfect with the 8 oz. gabs you see and the linen/silk camp shirt you don't for the office then movie and casual dinner on this 93 degree, high humidity Friday. But there was a chance that I'd have to make a quick appearance in court this afternoon, and these would have been fine with the gray suit, blue shirt, black grenadine tie, and light gray socks I keep in the office for just such eventualities. (I keep a pair of oxfords here too, but these loafers are just jaunty enough for a Friday afternoon hearing.)

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've found their Preston/Corneliani pants to be excellent in terms of cut, fabrics and construction. I own several pairs in wool, cotton, linen, cord, etc. and they are the best pants I've ever owned and are a great value.

Yeah, they're great. I prefer them to most of the Incotex you find floating around the net. Regular Corneliani brand is nice too

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't imagine an 8oz gab wearing that much cooler than an 11 or 12oz. The tight twill weave makes it like wearing a rubber suit.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wool khakis to me is an oxymoron, I mean fine as part of a suit but I have never worn tan wool pants seperately.

Polo by Corneliani wool twills. Can you think of any good combination for the Polo wools? They're medium-to-heavy weight, so I'm saving them for the colder weather.
IMG_1951.jpg

I occasionally wear khaki wool gabs in a heavier weight with tweed coats. Niven's are cream (per Flusser), but you get the idea.

bPJP2.jpg

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't imagine an 8oz gab wearing that much cooler than an 11 or 12oz. The tight twill weave makes it like wearing a rubber suit.

Try it; you'll like it. Gab in the weights you're talking about, or even heavier, was originally used as a summer fabric for suits because of its cool, smooth hand and flowing drape. You're right that at those weights it holds in hot air and is quite sticky. But at 7/8 oz., the drape (assuming a full cut) and hand make for a trouser that's no warmer than tropical worsted. Neither, of course, are as cool as fresco or linen, but I like the way gab looks and feels, and it puts me in mind of earlier time when men were so cool they wore flannel as a summer fabric.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have cream gabs, I like them.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did it a couple of times. I still live.
KJ5MU.jpg
AVykr.jpg
wVOeO.jpg

this may just be my opinion, but i think NOBD has carved a particular style for himself, and sticks to it, and he is able to look good doing things that may not technically be ok according to certain rules.

Gabardine as a summer fabric does best in dry climates. It does not excel in high heat and humidity.

baltimore is proof to this. i had a lot of gabardine shabbos pants. walk outside for an hour and you like like crap.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

baltimore is proof to this. i had a lot of gabardine shabbos pants. walk outside for an hour and you like like crap.

I bet a nice pair wool/linen blend slacks would be great for Shabbos in Bawlmore.

:rimshot:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why is, green hermes breast wallet, not on the list?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads