• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need career options without college

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learning Android Development? Here Is A 200-Episode (Almost 20 Hours) Tutorial Series - All For Free [Videos]

There are many ways to get into Android development - buying and reading Android books, visiting a plethora of Android-themed dev sites, navigating thousands of StackOverflow.com questions tagged with "Android," or even entering our book giveaways.

For visual learners, here's yet another one - a massive series of hands-on video tutorials amounting to almost 20 hours of footage. The series, created by TheNewBoston and mybringback YouTube users, and organized into a straightforward 200-video playlist by ChangingTheUnknown, contains tons of absolutely free content that, in my opinion, teaches using the best way possible - by showing you code. Lots of code. All the time.

I'm not sure experienced developers will be able to justify spending 20 hours watching these video tutorials, but for those starting out, they're just perfect. Arm yourself with some patience, persistence, and a few pots of coffee, and get ready for a [hopefully rewarding] journey to the depths of the Android APIs.

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good topic. Do you just not want to go to college or is it because of financial reasons? One of the reasons I've joined the Air Force is for helping pay for college. The actual money you make (if you're enlisted) isn't very good, but all the benefits and free cost-of-living, training, job experience, etc you get through it are worthwhile.
One friend of mine is a floorhand on an oil rig in ND, he makes good money and he didn't even graduate HS.
Also, look into the railroad as a conductor perhaps. Idk if that's an option in NY though.

both, im living alone in ny since i moved from l.a (originally from ny though) I found a job at allsaints but im still looking for options.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good topic. Do you just not want to go to college or is it because of financial reasons? One of the reasons I've joined the Air Force is for helping pay for college. The actual money you make (if you're enlisted) isn't very good, but all the benefits and free cost-of-living, training, job experience, etc you get through it are worthwhile.
One friend of mine is a floorhand on an oil rig in ND, he makes good money and he didn't even graduate HS.
Also, look into the railroad as a conductor perhaps. Idk if that's an option in NY though.

both, im living alone in ny since i moved from l.a (originally from ny though) I found a job at allsaints but im still looking for options.

If it makes you feel any better, I went to college and never found a job, its been about 1 year and 7 months since...

Jeff10236

Reaction score
I'm a high school teacher, but I also waited until I was 25 to go to college. I've worked in a variety of jobs before teaching (both before and after college). What I tell my students is that you don't have to go to college, but if you want a comfortable life you do need some education past high school. You really need to learn a trade or skill.

One on-the-job option is sales. If you are good at it, sales is one of the few jobs where you can actually get rich working for someone else. I would avoid car sales or most retail, except as a possible step to something else. That said, you can do well in certain high end retail sales positions. The fields where people I know have been most successful are business to business sales of various kinds, yacht sales, and real estate. I still might go back to real estate someday myself part-time (it was a lot of fun when I did it, and after a couple years building my business I can make more doing it part-time than I do in my full-time teaching gig). Financial advising, banking, and other financial related sales can make you a good income once you've had some experience and added some certifications.

The military is a great way to go. While the initial base pay if you are enlisted isn't great, after about 4-5 years it is pretty decent. It can be especially nice when you add in money beyond your salary: a non-taxed food and housing allowance, and the housing allowance is geared towards the area where you live and is enough for a decent one or two bedroom apartment and utilities. You can retire with a pension in 20 years, there are all kinds of training and college options, and the benefits are terrific.

Both of the previous options are things I did in the past. I do wish someone talked up the next one for me: vocational training. There are some skills that won't necessarily make you very much money, but some are gold. I have a former student who did welding and now at 21 makes good money and owns a few motorcycles, including a Harley, and several classic cars (one of his hobbies is buying old classic 1940-60s cars that need some work, fixing them up and then keeping some and selling others). With welding, HVAC, and many computer certifications you can do better than you would with most college majors. Some require formal training such as a year or two in a vocational school or a multi-year internship/apprenticeship program (which is paid), and others (mainly the computer certifications) can be done through self-study online and by reading books.

Good luck.

Philip

Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned airconditioniing repair yet?

Grenadier

Reaction score
Just go down to Occupy Wall Street and ***** about not having a job. I understand they have free meals and tents.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can you sell? I know a few guys with HS degrees or a bit of college and they did alright selling stuff like copiers, cars, or services.
+1 to swinging a hammer. Oil gas industry. Loading trucks. See if you're not too late for crab fishing season. Etc. There's always the military although I hear they're getting tons of recruits these days. Your best asset may be a fit body that can bust hump.

my cousin sells boats and has no education. he's making 100k/yr. Of course, he has owned them since he was a kid and knows a ton about boats, so that helps, but if you've got that ability to sell you can make good money doing something.

The trades are good money too, especially if you save your cash and eventually run your own crew. It's not the most pleasant job, but plumbers never have to look for work. Electricians always seem to be in demand as well. I've met a couple builders that started off as regular construction workers and are now millionaires. With strong work ethic and the right attitude there are still lots of ways to make money w/o college.

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my cousin sells boats and has no education. he's making 100k/yr. Of course, he has owned them since he was a kid and knows a ton about boats, so that helps, but if you've got that ability to sell you can make good money doing something.
The trades are good money too, especially if you save your cash and eventually run your own crew. It's not the most pleasant job, but plumbers never have to look for work. Electricians always seem to be in demand as well. I've met a couple builders that started off as regular construction workers and are now millionaires. With strong work ethic and the right attitude there are still lots of ways to make money w/o college.

well said. i am looking into a welding program so hopefully its something that can get me going. I also have some friends that came from serbia to do petty cab tours around central park. He told me he made 15k in 5 months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads