• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I keep buying clothes I think I like, a few months later I hate them

A.D.

Reaction score
Having an identity crisis because you stared too deeply into your wardrobe is 100% real and I relate more than I'd like to.

chrlsful

Reaction score
not sure it’s helped our Pal as he aint been back. I
appreciate the comments, myself.
Nother forum I posted abandoning ties as even tho still in the board room, seeking ‘something else’. Open neck (still w/sports coat or suit) seemed disrespectful/loss of credability. Tried some ascots, cravats. Been going well. May try non-button downs next (open collar but quite high). I enjoyed yrs of “turtle necks” & want to try scarfs next.

All this is by way of the same. Find what you like. Enjoy. Express ur self. There IS no men’s fashion. Just the 3 or 400 yr old traditions. Break out of that. Dont go too wild (Super Fly, etc) as it looks silly in most settings. But take whats there and personalize it...
8^ )

HotDilf

Reaction score
Trying to go from 0% to 100% is futile - slow down and enjoy the process.

The Springboard Wardrobe

Podcast: Blamo! - 2024 Wardobes and Listener Questions - from the 12th minute, it addresses precisely your question.

Pick one part of your wardrobe and go learn everything about it. Check high-end, low-end, and vintage shops. Once you've tried enough things, you'll know what you like.

For me, it was knitwear. When I first put on a Loro Piana baby cashmere crewneck, something clicked. And when I compared it to a high street knit, the difference is obvious. I'm not going to spend $150 on an affordable cashmere jumper because I know I'll never wear it. I'd rather have a more expensive sweater that makes me feel good every morning. :)

lp baby cashmere.jpg

Zekaa

Reaction score
Two further suggestions:

Try to research every term you encounter in order to understand the conceptual implications. "Dark academia" has been mentioned. It's an aesthetic fueled by nostalgia, a romanticized past, so no contemporary cuts and combinations are desirable here. There's Ivy Style from the 1950s as one important inspiration. As Bruce Boyer writes in "True Style": "The period 1945 to 1965 was the golden age of the classic “campus shops,” stores that had built a reputation for catering to the sartorial needs of those with EEE (Eastern Establishment Elite) aspirations, adresses d’or such as J. Press, the Andover Shop, Langrock, Chipp, and Brooks Brothers. These wonderful clothiers were first situated in the cities and towns where the great universities were located: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and the
other Ivy League schools." So you have a rather limited inventory of design options for sport coat detailing, shoes, sweaters, shirts etc. that can help to give you an exact clue on how an item should be designed to be authentic in that style. For a Dark Academia adoption you just have to cut out the happy aspects of Ivy, for example the cheerful summer madras. You can also go one step further back in history to British country clothing, which even has a wikipedia article. Leave the deer rifle aside for Dark Academia. Both English Country House and Ivy Style live by the term that "new is vulgar". The useful advice to buy vintage can be put alongside the advice to own and wear things for a couple of decades to get the same patina that preworn things already have.

Another suggestion contradicts with what some have posted here: I wouldn't just cauciously approach an outfit. I have made the counterintuitive observation that, sometimes only if you fully commit to a look, the single items can melt together and feel natural, even when they didn't when worn halfheartedly. If wearing a tie feels too flashy, consider an expensive one. Add a pocket square on top – and the tie won't stand out any longer. It's basically the fedora guy problem: If you combine it with a t-shirt, it will look awkward. If you go all in and get the traditional outerwear, you won't end up looking like yourself at the beginning, people might call you Sherlock Holmes, but – that's not the worst, is it?

chrlsful

Reaction score
sorry Zekaa, every thing post #36 is just what I’m trying to avoid. A fashion 'given a name', some thing from pop culture, much like the site (ascribed), a uniform, Y I have wrote "there is no men’s fashion. We wear what we like, fit or not fit in w/the trendy or the old skol. Comfortable, expressing our own (individual) style. I think I said it in post #30 so will leave it for now.

RodrigueAyotte

Reaction score
Dark Academia wasn’t actually terrible - as far as that sort of thing went. To the extent that its prep/trad-influenced vibe might have turned some kids onto more classic style (not to mention reading), I’d take it over, say, goblincore any day.

Fishbone

Reaction score
Trying to go from 0% to 100% is futile - slow down and enjoy the process.

The Springboard Wardrobe

Podcast: Blamo! - 2024 Wardobes and Listener Questions - from the 12th minute, it addresses precisely your question.

Pick one part of your wardrobe and go learn everything about it. Check high-end, low-end, and vintage shops. Once you've tried enough things, you'll know what you like.

For me, it was knitwear. When I first put on a Loro Piana baby cashmere crewneck, something clicked. And when I compared it to a high street knit, the difference is obvious. I'm not going to spend $150 on an affordable cashmere jumper because I know I'll never wear it. I'd rather have a more expensive sweater that makes me feel good every morning. :)
So I have thought about this idea of a springboard wardrobe for a long time considering I am in the midst of a move with my family from Japan. I currently mostly wear wool trousers or Chino pants when I am casual, I have never been a denim guy although I own a pair. As Derek Guy alluded to it is very much true indeed that you are either one or the other(I am a Chino trousers guy), but I have severe FOMO over Japanese denim which has been so hyped up outside Japan. Would you say buying premium jeans, e.g. Full Count 0105 that might interest me in wearing jeans would be similar to you spending on your Loro Piana Sweater? Or are sweaters something that you have always been into wether it was Lan expensive Cashmere from Loro Piana or not?

Since I have almost no interest in wearing my $70 Levis or $100 Edwin but I do read ALOT about Japanese denim and the heritage and quite honestly feel bad about not owning one despite living and growing up here.

KOz

Reaction score
sorry Zekaa, every thing post #36 is just what I’m trying to avoid. A fashion 'given a name', some thing from pop culture, much like the site (ascribed), a uniform, Y I have wrote "there is no men’s fashion. We wear what we like, fit or not fit in w/the trendy or the old skol. Comfortable, expressing our own (individual) style. I think I said it in post #30 so will leave it for now.

Nothing exists in a vacuum. The style you create is the result of various things you've been exposed to. You might say you don't care for named styles or trends, but you are influenced by them. Nothing you've ever come up with was conjured up out of nothing.

"We wear what we like" is also only true to a point - people often want to belong and be part of groups that they identify with.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gluco6