• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I keep buying clothes I think I like, a few months later I hate them

William Hodges

Reaction score
I've been trying to 'revamp' my wardrobe for months now. I thought I was over all my jeans and t-shirts so I slowly started replacing them with trousers, more dressy style pants, and more button down shirts, kind of a dark academia vibe. Now I've accumulated more clothing I don't like. I can only afford 2-3 pieces every two weeks or so. I have tons of jeans that don't fit, pants that feel too dressy. I've been tucking my t-shirts into dressy pants and I just feel so stupid. I have one belt, and a bunch of sneakers that feel too sporty. I don't feel like I'm dressing like myself, I feel like I'm trying to imitate someone and doing a bad job. I feel like I need to start over, but I can't just get rid of all my clothes, I need something. Should I build a capsule wardrobe? What should I do?
Many of us have dealt with this phenomenon as we age and our tastes/styles change. I deal with it by looking at people (famous and otherwise) who have a very similar physical build/colouring and styles that I admire. I then find out what clothing brands they gravitate towards and begin researching and experimenting with those brands or comparable brands, taking time to try different clothes and colours that suit me.

For example, my physical build, colouring, and hairstyle are similar to Daniel Craig's. Like many, I grew up being a fan of James Bond. After seeing Craig in his first Bond movie, I was hooked on most clothing, accessories, and colours they styled on him. It may seem hokey, but it was like finding a personal stylist for myself, and it has worked.

Various companies offer online clothing subscriptions to fit every budget. These subscriptions send you choices you preselect and want to try on in the comfort of your own home. You only purchase the items you wish to keep and return the ones you do not like after trying them. For many, this offers an opportunity to keep your wardrobe fresh without breaking the bank while allowing you to discover new styles you enjoy. It is a great way to experiment and learn.

Also, do not be afraid to talk to people with a fashion sense you admire and ask them for advice and ideas (like you are doing here, but it is even better when you are face-to-face). When I was in high school and later in university, I made friends with beautiful young ladies and would ask them to go clothes shopping with me, piquing their thoughts on what they would like to see me wear. Attractive women enjoy being seen in public with handsome men and are usually quite good at helping you look your best if you ask them. Most of them know and understand quality (quality does not necessarily have to mean it is obscenely expensive).

Another thing is to get to know an excellent professional tailor. They have great secrets for updating an existing wardrobe and possess the skills to help you achieve that.

These might be some ideas worth considering.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strix