• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a black blazer; did I make a huge mistake?!

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bought for a nice dinner. planning to wear with charcoal pants and a white shirt. i know black suits and jackets are kind of faux pas so im not sure why i did it...but i did. i suppose i still have time to grab a dark navy one and chalk this one up as a loss.

lol.jpg

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bought for a nice dinner. planning to wear with charcoal pants and a white shirt. i know black suits and jackets are kind of faux pas so im not sure why i did it...but i did. i suppose i still have time to grab a dark navy one and chalk this one up as a loss.

View attachment 2251621

Should be ok. The patch pockets give it a casual look, so wear it in good health!

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
The thing to remember is that a black sport coat is only a faux pas in the "classic menswear" style of dressing. In all honesty, outside of obscure forums, some instagram #hashtags, and old biddies writing letters to the editor about the "sad state of current events" (there may be significant overlap between some of these groups) noone will care much about the fact that your jacket is black. Also, DB jackets can look great unbuttoned if you embrace the slouchy style.

It will likely be easier to wear if you go for a slightly more fashion forward style. I wouldn't style it like I would a navy jacket, but I could see it working in a monochromatic outfit - grey trousers, white shirt, black Chelsea boots. Absolutely no "sartorial" accessories. It's not a look for everyone, but if you can pull off a "creative" vibe it can work.

carloapellido

Reaction score
People around you would say, “look at that guy. He’s wearing a black blazer. Such a faux pas.” 🤣🤣🤣

Kidding aside, most people wouldn’t care and likely you’ll pook put together.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
When I see black blazers and odd coats, I think musician/artist. Maybe if you lean into more of a Bob Dylan circa ‘65 approach with boots and a more casual shirt, it’ll work better than if you try to wedge it into a more classic menswear ensemble. Black reads formal to me but patch pockets read casual. Since there’s already a little bit of a contradiction, you might as well play it up.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuralBors