• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would I dress casually?

lenahan

Reaction score
I do not own a pair of Jeans. They are for blue color work, only (I am just making a pretentious joke, I truly just don't like them).

I often will wear a blue blazer with khakis and blue buttondown to a barbecue, or my newly acquired cream cotton jacket, light blue shirt and navy trousers.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp
Keeping in mind that a collarless t-shirt is unacceptable,
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Absolutely hideous... Close another button, roll down the shirt sleeves and pant legs, and lose the belt, and you look somewhat respectable.
Do you post photos of yourself? Because you're really not holding back on the other guys.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp
I think most people wear jeans when you tell them to dress "casually" for something, but I don't have a single pair of jeans in my arsenal. The pants area of my closet is filled with broken-in chinos. Keeping in mind that a collarless t-shirt is unacceptable, if I were going to a backyard BBQ, or an informal gathering, how would I dress casually but not blend in?
It depends on the actual situation. Who are the people you are meeting there? Is there a need for looking respectable (colleagues, customers) or are you only meeting some friends? In either way a linen BD shirt with chino and loafers without socks will do. But a pair of jeans is not devil's work.
smile.gif
If they fit just right (that's important) you will find quite some relaxed fun situations to wear them, a BBQ with gallons of beer in a dirty backyard with good friends is a fine candidate.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
When you're wearing a pair of dark Levi's, you wouldn't worry about sitting on the ground or spilling beer all over yourself.
To me jeans are too heavy and hot for a summer BBQ.

Originally Posted by westinghouse
Absolutely hideous...
Close another button, roll down the shirt sleeves and pant legs, and lose the belt, and you look somewhat respectable.

This post is pointlessly harsh -- unless, of course, the point is to pump up your own ego at someone else's expense. You may not like the way he looks, but that does not make his clothing "hideous" and it certainly does not make the man unrespectable.

malat

Reaction score
Buy some jeans. We live in a casual world, accept it and embrace it. No one wears cotton chinos or wool pants to a BBQ, because it's too easy to soil them. When you're wearing a pair of dark Levi's, you wouldn't worry about sitting on the ground or spilling beer all over yourself. That's why they're so popular anyway.

This. Unless it's at the governor's mansion, OP is over-thinking this bbq.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii
If everyone else is wearing shorts and short-sleeve shirts, I'd wear the chinos with:

group%202%20056.jpg

a long-sleeve traditional guayabera in linen. Very versatile summer garment. If pressed and starched and in white, you can make it look like the equivalent of an informal sportcoat.

I would wear this to a latin crime boss party...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No one wears cotton chinos ... to a BBQ, because it's too easy to soil them.
There is this invention called the washing machine. Perhaps you have heard of it?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by christinedaae
polo shirt + khaki shorts + spurry's = $$$

you can't go wrong with that.

$$$ is the desired look? I thought the objective was to look appropriately and well dressed.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L
I would wear this to a latin crime boss party...

You'd look out of place. Search Google Images for "Pablo Escobar" and you'll find that the photos of him are in lounge coats, Aloha shirts, dress shirts, prison uniform, or clowning around in a Mexican revolutionary's get-up. Search for "El Chapo Guzman" or "Joaquin Guzman Loera" and you'll see him in a parka, a dress shirt, maybe a polo shirt, or a bullet-proof vest.

The current Mexican gangsters seldom seem to wear guayaberas, probably because they symbolize some respect for tradition and the old order. Whether intentionally or not, the narcos project an image of defiance of tradition and of the current order. Hence they tend to wear US streetwear, rather than guayaberas or lounge coats.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii
You'd look out of place. Search Google Images for "Pablo Escobar" and you'll find that the photos of him are in lounge coats, Aloha shirts, dress shirts, prison uniform, or clowning around in a Mexican revolutionary's get-up. Search for "El Chapo Guzman" or "Joaquin Guzman Loera" and you'll see him in a parka, a dress shirt, maybe a polo shirt, or a bullet-proof vest.

The current Mexican gangsters seldom seem to wear guayaberas, probably because they symbolize some respect for tradition and the old order. Whether intentionally or not, the narcos project an image of defiance of tradition and of the current order. Hence they tend to wear US streetwear, rather than guayaberas or lounge coats.

...you just destroyed so many stereotypes...
frown.gif

agp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
One idea:

• OCBD
  • Chinos
  • Loafers (no socks)

2011.06.18_1.jpg

Sorry for the slightly overexposed pic.

You may want to skip the D-ring belt and go with something a little more straightforward like a braided leather belt. I was playing with color today in the backyard.

- K

I quite like this look! I even have (almost) the same hair cut. The only thing is that I don't have any sport/dress shirts that doesn't have any white in them. I think a blue/white stripe oxford with khaki/brown pants would not be as summer-like as white pants, but I don't think any of my shirts will match well with white pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads