• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would I dress casually?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
If everyone else is wearing shorts and short-sleeve shirts, I'd wear the chinos with:
group%202%20056.jpg
a long-sleeve traditional guayabera in linen. Very versatile summer garment. If pressed and starched and in white, you can make it look like the equivalent of an informal sportcoat.

JJGooden

Reaction score
If the reason you don't have a pair of jeans is that you don't like denim, you could go with a slim 5-pocket pant. Same look, but you can get that chino-type of feel.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Leaving for a BBQ right now. I am wearing deep ocean blue shorts (the official color of Pitti it seems) because it's too muggy in ATL for pants at this juncture, club collar OCBD tucked in, hoof pick belt and tassels.

If I wear shorts I like to tuck in my shirt so I don't look like a total slouch but that's up to you.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on your peer group, but if you want to stand out and fit in, you could go with some non-denim jeans. Linen or cotton for summer, I guess...

Also, wear socks if you don't want to get eaten by evil flying bugs

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy yourself five pairs of jeans directly. light blue for slobbing, a couple of dark blue pairs for occasions where you want to appear more formal.

It is neither painful to wear them nor socially unacceptable.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennisguru
I discovered the other day during a sort out that I own far too many pairs of jeans!

Cheers

You can't.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp
As of footwear, which would be more appropriate - leather flip flops/sandals, or Sperry topsiders?

Flip flops/JBs/Desert Wellies.

Mariooo

Reaction score
madras pants or shorts... or a linen pant...

with loafer/mocassins & a poloshirt

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a backyard barbeque I'd wear khaki trousers and a linen, Madras, or knit shirt

I don't wear jeans except at the ranch.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One idea:
  • OCBD
  • Chinos
  • Loafers (no socks)
2011.06.18_1.jpg
Sorry for the slightly overexposed pic. You may want to skip the D-ring belt and go with something a little more straightforward like a braided leather belt. I was playing with color today in the backyard. - K

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some jeans. We live in a casual world, accept it and embrace it. No one wears cotton chinos or wool pants to a BBQ, because it's too easy to soil them. When you're wearing a pair of dark Levi's, you wouldn't worry about sitting on the ground or spilling beer all over yourself. That's why they're so popular anyway.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
One idea:

• OCBD
  • Chinos
  • Loafers (no socks)

2011.06.18_1.jpg

Sorry for the slightly overexposed pic.

You may want to skip the D-ring belt and go with something a little more straightforward like a woven leather belt. I was playing with color today in the backyard.

- K

Absolutely hideous...

Close another button, roll down the shirt sleeves and pant legs, and lose the belt, and you look somewhat respectable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads