• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to strike up a conversation with doctors/lawyers/engineers?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
As an engineering student, I wish you luck striking up and maintaining a decent conversation with an engineer.
"So, how about those angles?"

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
"So, how about those angles?"

To a hot female engineer:

"How about we integrate so I'm the area under those curves?"

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ENGLISH TEACHERS:

Good- "What did you do your thesis/dissertation on?"

Bad- "Whoa! I suppose I'd better watch my grammar around you!"

plain.gif

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Sounds like we're saying the same thing... I just want to know what questions to ask and what questions to avoid sounding pitifully stupid. Sometimes I'll walk into a room full of engineers or doctors, and I'd just like to have one or two opening lines in my back pocket if everyone else is talking shop and I'm lost for words.

Are you really that wooden?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why you can't just ask some basic questions about the person's profession--after all, you are an outsider. I wouldn't expect you to speak terribly coherently about my profession unless you did it too. If they treat you like dirt for not being an insider then they're just an asshole and there's no sense talking to them anyway.

Here's a whole different strategy: don't talk about work.

Discuss a recent movie you saw.
Ask about their favorite music or cultural activities. Have they been to the new show at the local museum.
Is he/she a sports fan?

etc. etc.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an engineering student, I wish you luck striking up and maintaining a decent conversation with an engineer.
Originally Posted by Helix
+ trillions
Aww, we're not that bad. I do wonder at the extent to which engineers are socialized/Dilbertized to fit a role...the role seems antithetical to what many very serious engineers do.
To a hot female engineer: "How about we integrate so I'm the area under those curves?"
That is actually funny.
Originally Posted by Teacher
ENGLISH TEACHERS: Good- "What did you do your thesis/dissertation on?" Bad- "Whoa! I suppose I'd better watch my grammar around you!"
plain.gif

Even worse when you know, you just know, that they really mean "my diction." ~ H

Eccentric

Reaction score
To a hot female engineer:

"How about we integrate so I'm the area under those curves?"

If you're a really classy guy:

"Hey, baby, you up for crossing unit vectors?"

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Aww, we're not that bad. I do wonder at the extent to which engineers are socialized/Dilbertized to fit a role...the role seems antithetical to what many very serious engineers do.
~ H

I don't think the issue so much has to do with the personality inherent to an engineer, as it does the course of study. My own observation is that I am not as good a conversationalist as I once was, which I attribute to having neither the time nor course of study for reading and other cultural activities. I think when the focus is on numbers and science, and the "culture jar" is not being refreshed, the ability to socially interact suffers.

HHD

Reaction score
Reading a decent newspaper regularly (the Economist will do) will keep you abreast of the main issues in those professions, insofar as they touch civilians like us. Approach as an interested layman - don't pretend to be an expert, or you'll be quickly revealed as an idiot. Don't forget that most of what lawyers, doctors and engineers do is unutterably boring, and that which isn't (juicy divorce scandals, sexual problems, which bridge is about to collapse) they won't be at liberty to discuss.

DBoon

Reaction score
If you're a really classy guy:

"Hey, baby, you up for crossing unit vectors?"

Her reply:

"In your case, a logical starting point for the iterative process in the derivation of said vector is that its phase is oriented more towards the imaginary plane"

HEY-O!
rimshot.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I attend alot of networking events, I'll start by asking about what they do and sometimes why, and then move into conversation that has more to do with current events. People like to give their opinion on current events and it usually makes a much more interesting convo.

I think the goal is to have them remember you as someone interesting to speak to and not a bore who simply asks endless questions about your profession. If you try to ask bullshit questions to sound like you really know alot about their profession most people can see through it and they know you're full of it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Sounds like we're saying the same thing... I just want to know what questions to ask and what questions to avoid sounding pitifully stupid. Sometimes I'll walk into a room full of engineers or doctors, and I'd just like to have one or two opening lines in my back pocket if everyone else is talking shop and I'm lost for words.

Can I just ask where you find these rooms full? The only time I see a room full of doctors is Thursday mornings at the bagel shop, when they stop on their group cycle ride.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
If you try to ask bullshit questions to sound like you really know alot about their profession most people can see through it and they know you're full of it.

I agree completely here. If your goal is to make me think you know about my profession, you need to do more than ask me a canned question or two. Just act interested vs. trying to come off knowledgeable about something you're not.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Two ways to build a decent conversation.

First one : play on causal/emotional fields. Why did you specialize in this? Is it fulfilling? Is it expanding? Do you like it? Will you keep on?

Second one : make people believe your occupation links up with theirs. With a business lawyer, talk about the interesting company you'll be setting up soon. Etc.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Can I just ask where you find these rooms full? The only time I see a room full of doctors is Thursday mornings at the bagel shop, when they stop on their group cycle ride.

Seems to happen to me all the time. Most of the people I know went into engineering or medicine making me a bit of an oddball since I went into business. Usually when they see me, the first thing they ask is "I'm paying too much in taxes.. tell me how to fix it"
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads