• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to save a reputation

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Constantin
I work at a Chinese law firm. After attending some international conferences, my boss (a partner at our firm) used the name and fee schedule of a partner at a prominent western law firm so that she could get the fee schedules of our competing Chinese firms.

I don't understand the problem here. Your competitor released their fee schedule to a partner in your firm because he pretended to be a partner in a western law firm? So what?

If your competitor released the information, it seems to me like that is their own problem. I also don't understand why, if this information is so secret, that they would release it to any other law firm, western or otherwise.

You are working in a competitive business and it seems to me that it would be difficult for any firm to hide their fee schedule. There would be numerous ways of obtaining this information if one was sufficiently determined to do so. For example, one could pose as a potential client and ask about rates.

To me, this just sounds like typical business practice. I don't think your boss did anything wrong. However, if this is seen as somehow embarrassing to the firm, I would simply not respond or discuss the allegations. If a potential customer was to ask about it, I would simply say that the person making the allegations is lying and clearly trying to smear your firm's reputation. I don't see any way they could prove whether this happened or not and, even if they could, I would not apologize for it...I would siimply state that we work in a competitive business and we are competitive business people.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading some more posts, I'm still not sure what actually happened. It doesn't look like your job is in jeopardy, I guess.

Is this what happened?:
1. Boss emails Competing Chinese Firm, pretends to represent Skadden/Latham/SullCrom, asks for Competing Chinese Firm's rates. Obtains rates.
2. Skadden/Latham/SullCrom finds out someone at your firm stole their identity, gets pissed.
3. Skadden/Latham/SullCrom is a potential customer of yours, so you try to smooth it out.

If the situation is as I understand it, you don't care about Competing Chinese Firm knowing about the deception, you care about Skadden/Latham/SullCrom knowing, right?

I mean it's one thing to use sneaky ways to find a competitor's rates. But it's just beyond stupid to impersonate a potential customer for any reason.

I don't see why this is a hard thing to understand, or even a moral or professionalism issue, it's a not taking huge risks with tiny upside and huge downside issue.

I guess there's nothing really you can do except apologize profusely to Skadden/Latham/SullCrom if they find out? Maybe lean on the "cultural differences mitigation factor"?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand the issue, but it seems that your boss acted unprofessionally and got caught, and now wants you to do the dirty work for her. Refuse. You said that your job was to raise the level of professionalism in the company. Go to the controlling partners, and tell them that the partner (your boss) fucked up, that she jeopardized the firm's future, and that he should act accordingly. This is probably the best course of action anyway. No one is going to believe that some intern did this on their own. Throw someone senior out on their ass, and the firm can claim integrity, cleaning house, etc...

You've already said that your skills are in demand. If they decide to let you go because , you go. Being part of anything shady is going to decrease your worth. Don't jeopardize that for some 2nd rate firm. If your bosses know that, or are made to know that, they will know that they have nothing on you. The moment you get embroiled in the lies, they've got everything on you.

The calculation here is so easy to do it's trivial.

I'm Chinese too, btw.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Constantin
...If this firm speaks badly about us it will stifle our international marketing efforts before they even get started...

It gives the partner their pound of flesh and seems like the most favorable way out for our firm. There's a lie involved but more of a white lie. Is there any other way to go around this one?

From what you've written, you are really working for the company, not for your immediate boss.

If the real concern of the controlling partners is extension into the international market, they'll be glad to drop the person who fucked up.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I don't really understand the issue, but it seems that your boss acted unprofessionally and got caught, and now wants you to do the dirty work for her. Refuse. You said that your job was to raise the level of professionalism in the company. Go to the controlling partners, and tell them that the partner (your boss) fucked up, that she jeopardized the firm's future, and that he should act accordingly. This is probably the best course of action anyway. No one is going to believe that some intern did this on their own. Throw someone senior out on their ass, and the firm can claim integrity, cleaning house, etc...

You've already said that your skills are in demand. If they decide to let you go because , you go. Being part of anything shady is going to decrease your worth. Don't jeopardize that for some 2nd rate firm. If your bosses know that, or are made to know that, they will know that they have nothing on you. The moment you get embroiled in the lies, they've got everything on you.

The calculation here is so easy to do it's trivial.

I'm Chinese too, btw.

Do exactly as this man says.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads