• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get the wife to dress better

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mr Foxx
Isn't there some sort of SF on the internet solely for women?

I think that there's quite a bit of a gender gap. My gf looks at plenty of shopping sites, discount designer goods sites, Zappos, etc., but has zero interest in the social networking aspect of it. It seems to me that men are MUCH more interested and active in social networking regarding "things," be they cars, watches, guns, boats or clothing.

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
This is dangerous territory and few are of us are adroit enough to navigate it successfully. Can you approach it obliquely, through a proxy: your sister, her sister, or one of her girlfriends? Have one of them be your spokesperson.

My wife liked the Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine books (e.g., What Not To Wear) They are the closest thing I have seen to a Dressing the Man or Gentleman for women.

If all that fails, spend your money with Gomez when you're in Paris and get a girlfriend.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fantastic Mr Foxx
I think Niidawg's advice is good so far.

gemmed shoes, no way
laugh.gif

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dfischer1
Jesus, I hope not.
- Well, then you can let her try this website out. www.style.com. There're also numerous women's magazines on the market on clothing and dressing...Maybe that could help.
Originally Posted by Bartolo
This is definitely not an issue for me. My gf has an eye for style and extremely good taste (not just in men . . . ). If anything, she is a co-enabler for me as she also likes to see me dress well.
- You're a lucky chap.
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I'm not sure about this, there are a lot of threads about women who like to see men in square toed kenneth cole shoes and the like. Have to be careful about the reverse happening here. You may know what looks good on a man from being on styleforum (and the quality brands that will help you do this), but that doesn't necessarily mean it carries over to helping your wife dress better or that your idea of what looks good on her will mesh with her own ideas.
-Summary: Approach this carefully.
I think that there's quite a bit of a gender gap. My gf looks at plenty of shopping sites, discount designer goods sites, Zappos, etc., but has zero interest in the social networking aspect of it. It seems to me that men are MUCH more interested and active in social networking regarding "things," be they cars, watches, guns, boats or clothing.
- I know quiet a number of women who share interests in manly things and social networking as men do.
Originally Posted by anon
I can only imagine how catty the bitches there would be.
- I can only imagine, too.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have you considered the potentially disastrous economic ramifications of getting your wife to switch to "better" (i.e., more expensive) brands? This is a road you have to tread carefully, my friend.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J Crew isnt bad at all.

I suggest buying gifts, it seems much less arrogant then pushing her into high end shops and hoping she likes them.

Brooks and RL are a small step up from Jcrew you might consider buying something from Brooks or RL for her to try. If she likes Jcrew there is a good possibility she'll like RL.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I showed a female friend of mine some examples of this kind of masculine SF style "networking" and she told be to be vary: "these guys are gays for sure..."

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
as others have mentioned, go shopping together. a good starting point would be someplace that has clothes for both men and women and where it's hard to go wrong. a ralph lauren store or a loro piana store are good examples.

as others have mentioned, this has potential economic drawbacks.

otoh, i have found this to strengthen my relationship, if for no other reason than i am more invested in her because i have more invested in her wardrobe.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get her a Harry Winston or two, and she'll be forced to dress up to match her jewelry.
Originally Posted by Twotone
Find a girlfriend. The wife will be dressing better in no time. But this will cost you. Twotone
Awesome! And why stop at one?
wink.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I showed a female friend of mine some examples of this kind of masculine SF style "networking" and she told be to be vary: "these guys are gays for sure..."

+1 million

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa

Yes I heard that here at home m'self. She was slightly worried about my new-found interest in shoes
wink.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I heard that here at home m'self. She was slightly worried about my new-found interest in shoes
wink.gif

My friend got worried when she heard that someone from SF has invited me to his hotel room where he (allegedly) had an apointment with a top class tailor.

The interesting thing was that I found the invitation to be completely normal (in spite of not knowing the guy). My female friend found it weird...

In any case, I was not able to attend, so I never found out...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads