• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to clean snow/dirt out of medallions?

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I didn't have a choice but to walk around in some dress shoes with medallions today. Unfortunately it was snowing hard last night, and the weather was nasty in the morning. I tried to avoid stepping in the salt that wrecks shoes, but my foot sunk into the snow a few times.

I let my shoes dry out after getting home. They look fine, but there's a build-up of this whitish gunk in the medallions towards the tip of my shoes. They're not unmelted snow... seems more like some sort of dirt residue that gets left behind.

Does anybody have any recommendations on the best way to clean these medallions out? It really affects the look of the shoe.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Godot

Reaction score
The prevailing Internet solution is a mixture of 1-2 teaspoons of white vinegar with a cup of water and rub salt stains out. This should be done as quickly as possible. Regular polishing will give give some protection against salt stains, but when exposed it's remove and polish again.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Godot,

Thanks for the advice. I'm applying this mixture to my shoes currently. Do you have any thoughts on how to get into the tiny medallions that have salt residue still stuck in them? Cotton balls and q-tips don't seem to be able to squeeze into such a small space.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Godot,

Thanks for the advice. I'm applying this mixture to my shoes currently. Do you have any thoughts on how to get into the tiny medallions that have salt residue still stuck in them? Cotton balls and q-tips don't seem to be able to squeeze into such a small space.

I tend to use one of those rubber-tipped gum massagers.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrycloth will reach into these areas with a circular motion. Also when usung the vinegar'd cloth, try not to use the same cloth real estate for all areas. Keep switching the cloth as you go. This will improve the cleaning that Godot has suggested. If the residue persists after drying, repeat as many times as is necessary. Eventually you will prevail.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it. I think that most of it has come out. Will keep on working at it. You guys really are a tremendous resource.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads