• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is this Borrelli suit. What season, 07, 06, 05 tops?

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
I have that exact suit in 38R, purchased from Kanvas on ebay last summer. I recall it was priced at $1500 or so, and the seller took my offer of around $1250. I'm not certain of the exact price, but I think it's worth noting that the seller took a lower offer. Quality of packaging for shipping is on par with Ian's service, and the suit came with the original Borrelli hanger.

The jacket rolls to a 2-button (not 2-1/2). The fabric is very nice, very light, very plain. Not appropriate for even the slightly cooler months. I finished the trousers with plain cuffs, and I now consider that a mistake (I was hewing too closely to the "no pleats/no cuffs" rule then). Highly tapered trousers like Borrelli I now prefer with cuffs, pleats or no. More than that, the very light fabric of this suit needs some additional support. so I had my tailor install some thick twill tape around the interior of the trouser hems and they lay very nicely now.

I'd like to check the jacket style - "Vivara"? - as I believe it's a different one than all my others (which I seem to recall are "Neranos"). There's probably a good bit of deviation among same-sized RTW Borrellis, but I found this jacket to fit just a bit looser off-the-rack in the chest/shoulders. The rise on the trousers is shorter than all my other Borrellis, and I wear the trousers a bit lower on my hips. The cuff opening is not quite as severely tapered as my other Borrellis (I"m guessing about 8-1/2", whereas some of the others I have are as narrow as 7-3/4"). If these measurements aren't provided, you should definitely ask. I seem to recall that Kanvas provided all the key measurements, including trouser width at the cuff, knee, and thigh, as well as both front and rear rises. Again, much like Ian, these guys provide the info you need to make an informed purchase. Hopefully, it's the same seller.

Finally, I should note that the handsewn buttonholes came finished on my jacket (and gorgeously finished), but if you need to have them done yourself, be sure you have an excellent tailor. Given the light color of the suit, the dark stitching of the buttonholes really stands out. You'll want a really nice job done.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If it's NWT, who cares what "season" it is? Borrelli has certain models and they do not change from year to year. It is not a fashion house.

I would wonder about the age , to know how long a suit was sitting on the racks being smushed or manhandled by admirer's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads