• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much does color means to you when you buy clothes?

benjawood

Reaction score
I personally did not think much about color and what specific colors did suit me until this fall. Now, i am really into it, and i want to know that do you pay alot of attention to colors, when styling? Is it over or underrated in todays styling game?

Last edited:

BenjaminZeev

Reaction score
I find that there are specific colors that I like more than others. Gray is one of my favorites, I really like gray for a suit, pants, or coat over blue. Blue can be great but it would not be my first choice. I like pink, cream/ecru, or white for shirts. For shoes I love a nice dark and rich red. I'm a boot guy so I also have two pair of boots that are black calf and gray suede, one that is brown calf and blue denim. Accessories, I tend to go for the colors already mentioned and purple. I'm a bit of a dandy/fop in my clothing taste, my skin tone and hair color are complimentary to most color combinations, and I'm not straight, but to each their own.

As for changing with the season, I think I prefer changing more with mood and occasion. A somber dark suit for a somber or dark mood. A lighter gray for a lighter mood. Also you could change your accessories for the season, a floral design tie or pocket square for when flowers start to bloom.

This year, I found that snow on the ground ruins my shoe game (as expected, but in late march!?). That puts a dent in the style. This year I have not had a chance to wear nice leather, dress shoes outside. So I have been in street wear. Also I gain a little too much weight and had to go back to my black winter coat from a decade or more ago (I have a wonderful light gray heather one but its really for very cold weather only, as it is about 10 pounds of wool).

Edit: Just realized I was reading streetwear and denim. So ignore the suits. Still like a those colors, but blue is m go to for denim. So in short I like to use color as a personal statement, mood statement, or (less often) to complement and event. I don't think much about what suits my skin/hair tone best. I think that liking your clothing and feeling good in it, and about it, is more important than following a style guide for colors.

truevintage

Reaction score
Color is extremely important. It takes a person who does not mind stares. NYC is a sea of grey, tan, black, white, beige with typical pops of red or navy blue. Are your colors to express you or a uniform?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191