• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long do you keep your bottles of cologne for before you throw it out?

Kevin Peters 1

Reaction score
So I recently found out that cologne actually expires after reading this: https://www.groomjournal.com/how-long-does-cologne-last-and-does-it-expire/

I am not one to use cologne very frequently. I'll spray on a bit on special occasions or on a date night. So naturally, I have bottles of cologne lying around in my cupboard for years. Do you guys have the same thing? Do you throw them out after they expire?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scents do change after time, but that doesn't mean they smell bad or offensive. I rarely throw any out. Lots of online communities where people trade cologne they no longer use.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a 20 year old bottle of Creed Vetiver. It's not "Original Vetiver" ... but the fragrance that preceded it and is no longer available. It still smells wonderful and is perhaps my favorite.

Sisyphus

Reaction score
If stored properly (out of heat and direct sunlight) most fragrances can be kept for decades easily. Some fragrance notes will hold up better than others (citruses are tricky in my experience), but I have quite a few bottles older than 20yrs that are still great. Most of the time only the top notes will be diminished a bit, but the heart and base is still there. Many people even swear by vintage (mostly because of modern regulations banning/restricting lots of ingredients) and you will see vintage Guerlains for example often going for hundreds of euros on sites like Ebay.

I'm not mad at this widely believed myth though that fragrances only have a storage life of a few years, as it got me many desired vintage fragrances for just some pocket money.

sajesak

Reaction score
If stored properly (out of heat and direct sunlight) most fragrances can be kept for decades easily. Some fragrance notes will hold up better than others (citruses are tricky in my experience), but I have quite a few bottles older than 20yrs that are still great. Most of the time only the top notes will be diminished a bit, but the heart and base is still there. Many people even swear by vintage (mostly because of modern regulations banning/restricting lots of ingredients) and you will see vintage Guerlains for example often going for hundreds of euros on sites like Ebay.

I'm not mad at this widely believed myth though that fragrances only have a storage life of a few years mobile welding atlanta, as it got me many desired vintage fragrances for just some pocket money.
Most fragrance manufacturers will recommend tossing your bottle after anywhere from one to three years (check your label), but since fragrance doesn't expire in the same sense that food does, it's sometimes okay to keep using a bottle for four, even five years

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I have a bottle of Chanel Egoiste from 1990 that is still perfectly wearable. I'm not going to throw out a bottle of perfume after a few years because someone who wants to make sure we keep buying perfume says it will expire. I'll just keep the old ones around while I continue to buy new ones.

sajesak

Reaction score
I have a bottle of Chanel Egoiste from 1990 that is still perfectly wearable. I'm not going to throw out a bottle of perfume after a few years because someone who wants to make sure we keep buying notary near me service. I'll just keep the old ones around while I continue to buy new ones.
thank you for your suggestion

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads