• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How is cigarette smoking viewed upon in your social circle/among your friends?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smoking is frowned upon among my colleagues, most family members, and among those in my social circle. Interestingly, most of the lower level staff in my office smoke, even the young mothers.

InsBrokerTX

Reaction score
None of my friends smoke. It's moronic to start and proven extremely dangerous to one's health. Knowing what we know, why in the world would someone start smoking?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by InsBrokerTX
None of my friends smoke. It's moronic to start and proven extremely dangerous to one's health. Knowing what we know, why in the world would someone start smoking?

Why would someone drive, drink, have unprotected sex, or fly in an airplane either? People, I tell you, it makes no sense!!!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm completely fine with people smoking weed in my place but if they smoke cigarettes they have to go outside. pot smoke isnt nearly as pervasive as tobacco, and generally when it's gone it's gone. Tobacco leaves a stench and stains things.

epliohunk

Reaction score
It's strange: NONE of my high school friends smoke, yet nearly ALL of my college friends do. I don't get why there is such a big difference.

Milpool

Reaction score
I always find it hilarious how people thought the smell of weed would go away quickly and it wasn't pervasive. I remember a guy I worked with in college. He'd go out on his breaks, smoke while driving around with his windows open, then come back in to work. I'd laugh every time he did that because I could smell it so strongly. He'd accuse me of lying.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Why would someone drive, drink, have unprotected sex, or fly in an airplane either? People, I tell you, it's soylent green!!!

ftfy

Originally Posted by epliohunk
It's strange: NONE of my high school friends smoke, yet nearly ALL of my college friends do. I don't get why there is such a big difference.

You must have gone to college in Europe.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
I always find it hilarious how people thought the smell of weed would go away quickly and it wasn't pervasive. I remember a guy I worked with in college. He'd go out on his breaks, smoke while driving around with his windows open, then come back in to work. I'd laugh every time he did that because I could smell it so strongly. He'd accuse me of lying.

Obv. you will smell of pot right after you smoke it. I don't mind this in my own residence. I mean the next day or so it's gone. Untrue of tobacco.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I mean the next day or so it's gone. Untrue of tobacco.

Well I think the difference is in smoke volume. Most people who smoke weed in their house probably don't have a joint going every 30 minutes all day long. They smoke a while, get high, turn on the fan/open the windows, and then that's it. Even the "chain" smokers for pot aren't doing it constantly. That's not so for cigarette smokers. People who smoke cigarettes light up a hell of a lot more often so the room gets bombarded with a lot more smoke. I have no real way to back this up obviously, but I imagine that if the amount of smoke from pot and the amount of smoke from cigarettes was the same, there's no reason to believe that tobacco odor would just arbitrarily stick around longer.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well I think the difference is in smoke volume. Most people who smoke weed in their house probably don't have a joint going every 30 minutes all day long. They smoke a while, get high, turn on the fan/open the windows, and then that's it. Even the "chain" smokers for pot aren't doing it constantly. That's not so for cigarette smokers. People who smoke cigarettes light up a hell of a lot more often so the room gets bombarded with a lot more smoke. I have no real way to back this up obviously, but I imagine that if the amount of smoke from pot and the amount of smoke from cigarettes was the same, there's no reason to believe that tobacco odor would just arbitrarily stick around longer.

Tobacco is substantially different as it is industrially optimized (look at how both product burn for example), I'm not expert but I'd be wary of conflating the two as far as their properties go.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Tobacco is substantially different as it is industrially optimized (look at how both product burn for example), I'm not expert but I'd be wary of conflating the two as far as their properties go.

Well it's true that they burn differently and are very different products. I didn't mean to call the two equal. I just meant to bring up the fact that there are more factors than just tobacco odor sticking around longer.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was a smoker, I worked and socialized mostly with other smokers. These days, I am not a smoker and don't really know any smokers.

The cause and effect at play are inter-related - I'd probably lapse if I were around smokers all the time.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen friends become very angry, almost hostile, about cigarettes after contracting cancer. Probably part of the denial, anger, acceptance process but valid none the less.

skyman

Reaction score
Pretty much every single one of my high school friends smokes. In college hardly anyone smokes apart from surprisingly alot of girls.
I never got into it though, A because my family is totally against it, B your chances of contracting life threatening diseases are pretty high already, why would I want to increase those chances. C I'm into sport big time, and smoking would really kill my chances of playing 90 minutes.

I wouldn't say though that in my friendship circles it's particularly looked down upon. It's more of a your choice, whatever attitude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads