• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how important is the selvage line?

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
I've heard this isn't always the case.

yea me too

Originally Posted by Denimbar
selvage DOES NOT MEAN the highest quality. Sorry people that is a fact.
It's cool and the history of it is cool however the latest looms weave stronger ( sometimes) and more efficiently than shuttle looms.

plain.gif

morse9443

Reaction score
Depending on the class of denim your dealing with, selvedge is just assumed. Are there any non-selvedge, high end Japanese brands?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Amerikajinda knows as much about denim as he knows about women.

BAM, RIGHT IN THE KISSER.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Amerikajinda knows as much about denim as he knows about women.

I dunno man, you seen his posts in the "white girls appreciation thread?"

At least he knows them from afar.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
I think he was using 'knows' in the biblical sense.
BAM, RIGHT IN THE KISSER -- AGAIN.
laugh.gif

sm2s

Reaction score
fit is the most important. then the quality of the denim. selvage is nice, but is really more aesthetic than anything else nowadays.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an Americana freak I'll say I honestly doubt I'd buy something that wasn't selvage. I am enough of a snob to check almost any pair of jeans for selvage and I've got no qualms with admitting it. If it was something like a black APC NS or NC where the jeans were selvage but the line had been cut off I doubt it would stop me from buying them but I unleased the demon and unfortunately there will be no going back. However, I wouldn't buy jeans that didn't fit well, selvage or not, so it's not like I'm willing to sacrifice fit for selvage anyways.

nox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar
selvage DOES NOT MEAN the highest quality. Sorry people that is a fact.
It's cool and the history of it is cool however the latest looms weave stronger ( sometimes) and more efficiently than shuttle looms.

How does the best selvage compare to the best modern loom?

Are they both just as capable of producing high quality denim?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
** PAGING** Henry Wong ** PAGING**

The whole purpose of of Technology is to make a more advanced product.
Shuttle looms have a history just like denim in America. The machine making the denim is only one aspect of making a great jean.
I can't type or spell well enough to give you an indepth answer.

* cough * Henry *cough*

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy only selvage (denim...). I like the history of it personally. I would actually really like a pair of denim made on a hand loom even more, but I'm not sure any jeans are produced like that anymore. (Though IIRC, didn't SC do a hand loom jean once?) Personally I think the increase in price is worth it, considering I'll have the jeans for quite a long time, and want all the details to be as perfect as possible. I could care less if a jacket of shirt is selvage though. Also to all the people who voted and say they don't care about it... why exactly do you buy it then? It's cheaper if you didn't.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Also to all the people who voted and say they don't care about it... why exactly do you buy it then? It's cheaper if you didn't.

Because most brands don't make an identical product without the selvage.

v84

Reaction score
Dont APC make all their jeans form the same selvegde fabric??

Denimbar is so right, selvedge is a design nod to history, just like painted back pockets... a while ago one would only find this particular 'nod' on japanese brands who happened to use better denim- artisanal brands were the only people doing this so for a while Selvedge indicated better fabric - but not half as much as the brand! To be honest no-one repeatedly buys samurai because the are selvedge, they buy because the quality is high ( amongst other DBMs ) but now everyone uses selvedge and it has no correlation to quality - like painted arcuates.....

I love selvedge though, someone dig up those evisu jeans made from selvedge strips!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef