• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you rate Koronya shoes?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by londonboy
. . .
I apologize if I overreacted to dopey, but in browsing old threads, I noticed a number of his old posts. I also understand that being told to do a search is quite an insult on this forum.

Feel free to react however you like . . . it is only the internet. We don't bleed here.
And my telling you to do a search was only that. I recalled that there was information that would help you and either you or I could look for it. I chose to give the job to you. It was not an insult.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
...my understanding is that Koronya has a number of commercial lasts from Italy and that the bespoke process involves modifying these and not making a personalized last. Would this thus be MTO and not bespoke? If so, is there any disadvantage over bespoke as often discussed here?....

Let me say a word.

Yes, we offer Italian-made fasion lasts, but there are more option:
1. use this lasts
2. modify these lasts as they are designed in a CAD application.
3. make a totally new one with CAD
3. make a bespoke last. Yes, we provide this also. Your own model, your own measurement, your style.
And after all we have many classic ones, like "Budapest", and many more.

I hope its enough even in bespoke category. We are a very new brand (even if we have long tradition), but I do my best to satisfy my customers' demand.

londonboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
There are very few things in life that are dead-certain; well, death is.

Marcell is relative newcomer to this forum and the international scene, although he might be long-established in the Hungarian shoe scene. How can you expect people in this forum to give you sceptre and verse, when nobody (as far as I know) hasn't had a completed pair?

Go to Budapest, go to Vass, go to Koronya, go to other shoemakers in the provinces and make up your mind. Give your commission to the firm you feel most comfortable with. If you cannot find someone in Hungary, hop on the train and go to Vienna or even go right through to Warsaw. (Do not forget to order extra strong shoes, that will withstand your foot stamping temper tantrums.)

Do not expect any forum member to make the decision for you. It concerns your feet, your money and your shoes.

And this is what gave me pause browsing old threads here. A number of users with high post counts take evident glee in making long, strenuous posts that amount to "I don't know" with a sprinkling of derision when directed against a new visitor.

I am sorry I asked if anyone had any knowledge of shoemaking in Budapest before investing substantial time and money in making a trial purchase and possibly reporting the results here.

I shall endeavor to use the private messaging function from now on.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I don't see anything wrong with your thread, and don't feel like this isn't the proper way to ask a question you were interested in getting answers to. Just develop a thicker skin and ignore those posts that are not helpful. There are tons of threads that are several pages long with only a handful of posts directed towards the OP's original question. That's just the way it goes in an open forum.

londonboy

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind note. Perhaps I am guilty of delicate sensibilities, but I suppose I am averse to vulgarity in my correspondence as it is simply tiresome. I do wonder why self-professed gentlemen and paragons of sophistication so readily become chavs when a question cannot be answered by standard refrains such as "Of course Edward Green!" or "What a horridly stiff chest on your Huntsman jacket, Neapolitan is the best!". I was insulted here when I made my first post regarding my fitted bowler hat; perhaps I should have posted about my shoe rotation instead but I would find such pretentious.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Wrong forum.

Yes. Go here:

thelondonlounge.net

Styleforum is populated with a bunch of insouciant scallywags if you ask me.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind note. Perhaps I am guilty of delicate sensibilities, but I suppose I am averse to vulgarity in my correspondence as it is simply tiresome. I do wonder why self-professed gentlemen and paragons of sophistication so readily become chavs when a question cannot be answered by standard refrains such as "Of course Edward Green!" or "What a horridly stiff chest on your Huntsman jacket, Neapolitan is the best!". I was insulted here when I made my first post regarding my fitted bowler hat; perhaps I should have posted about my shoe rotation instead but I would find such pretentious.

I remember commenting on your Bowler post. Who would have thought that a man who wears a derby would turn out to have such a thin skin?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I prefer to think of myself as a foppish ne'erdowell.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hope the OP sees his hypocrisy.

anyhoo, if you are interested in watching how those shoes are made, there is the complete process posted on youtube, which you can find also through searching this forum.

good luck on your search.

Lawman

Reaction score
Is that guy for real? I really do have to thank the OP for some of the most overwrought and condescending prose that I've had the pleasure of reading in some time. Oh, to spend such talent and intellectual energy on the subject of shoes! Rather like listening to Sir Walter Scott describe a demolition derby, I'd say.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a few comments...might help some folks.

It is the maker's skill and dedication as well as his willingness to meet his customer's needs and desires that defines "bespoke" and makes the difference with the lasts.

Many shoe and bootmakers start with a standard size last and modify it. If the maker has measured the foot and is dedicated to modeling the foot as closely as possible while retaining or generating all the characteristics of a beautiful shoe, what difference does the medium he's working in make? It could be a chunk of quarter sawn beech or it could be a big lump of plastic...the results will be the same. Or...It could be a wood or plastic standard size last with leather buildups affixed at critical points and then sculpted every bit as diligently as if working in wood.

On the other hand, a maker with a poor "eye" will deliver more than his share of disappointment. And it makes no difference at all whether he's carving each last by hand or turning them on a dedicated last lathe or simply modifying a standard last.

In the end, what matters is that the girths are right at all relevant points and the topography to be found on the foot is also found on the last. If you put a man with a narrow heel, for example, into a last with a wide heel seat, he's gonna get a P-poor fit regardless of how that last was generated..

While made to measure may not be bespoke, bespoke is always made to measure.

Finally, I know Marcell...as a shoemaker...and I know him to be a good one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads