• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Owners Associations

XeF4

Reaction score
Has anybody here ever been in one? What was it like?

The fees seem kind of high just for somebody to cut your grass and bushes, but I guess its awesome that I won't ever have to do it.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in one but they don't really do anything. The fee in mine is $40 a year and covers landscaping of the few common areas we have, a couple of small community events we have each year, and publishing a small directory.

Each HOA is different. There are many like ours that don't really do anything and have very low dues and minimal rules and then there are the HOAs at the other end of the spectrum with dues of a few hundred dollars a month that cover all outdoor landscaping of the common areas and your own yard, have very strict bylaws regarding the exterior of your home, may provide common facilities like a pool or clubhouse, could provide snow removal, etc.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My new house, which I have not yet moved in to, is in an HOA.

I think they all differ greatly depending on the neighborhood and purposes for them. In mine, they have pretty strict restrictions on architectural guidelines, and even dictate what you can do in your garden. (Example: No fences can be forward of the front plane of the house.) Major renovations and even major gardening choices must be run through a panel.

Our dues are relatively high, but a portion of them is voluntary and relates to private security that patrols the neighborhood. The portion that goes towards CAM is not very onerous, and we enjoy some nice public spaces.

In this particular neighborhood, while the restrictions are many, and I will soon find out how painful they might be, they have preserved the area very, very well over a long period of time.

EDIT: But does this mean you have to let the gardener go?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for single family homes I think they are utterly rediculous. I know personally that my mom is in one and she did something like have a happy birthday sign or something on her mailbox like balloons for a party and they wrote a nasty note. Just old people looking for something to do.

I've read worse horror stories about dictating everything you could do down to the length of your grass and plants you can plant. Look, no one needs a purple house down the street - I get it, but come on man. It cant affect your home value that much.

Now, if yuor in a condo I think you should have one to clean common aras, upkeep pool, security, doorman, etc...

XeF4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
EDIT: But does this mean you have to let the gardener go?
I only hope that the HOA fees are enough to hire a gardener who understands how to trim a tree.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you can live by the rules, a good HOA will help preserve your property value. Read the covenants though and buy at your own risk. For instance, if you have an RV or trailer, read carefully. My HOA states you cannot park an RV or trailer on the common roads for over 24 hours and you cannot store them on your property in view nor have an "out building" for them. That's just an example. Basket ball hoops in your driveway, on the common roads, etc. forbidden, unlicensed cars must be in your garage, keep your house painted and repaired nicely, etc.

I pretty much
inlove.gif
my HOA.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't live in one but I've represented a lot of people in them. The rules seem particularly arbitrary, obnoxious, and illogical. I've seen some that have restrictions on satellite dishes to forbidding you from changing your own oil in the driveway. They're not all like that, to be sure, but they all share one thing in common - they can change the rules anytime they feel like it. The HOA may be nice now and run by a decent group of folks, but if there's a change in leadership and the new group decides it wants to make YOUR life difficult, it will.

darkdream

Reaction score
I dislike these planned communities, lack of individuality and so many process to go through to get approval (not to take into account the many limitations like what you can do that does not even concern the appears or upkeep of the property). My college condo has a HOA of 450/month.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I don't live in one but I've represented a lot of people in them. The rules seem particularly arbitrary, obnoxious, and illogical. I've seen some that have restrictions on satellite dishes to forbidding you from changing your own oil in the driveway. They're not all like that, to be sure, but they all share one thing in common - they can change the rules anytime they feel like it. The HOA may be nice now and run by a decent group of folks, but if there's a change in leadership and the new group decides it wants to make YOUR life difficult, it will.
Really? Mine has bylaws and the only way to change the bylaws is by a majority vote of the members. Who the hell would join an HOA where rules can be changed by the Board? Not changing oil in the driveway. Great rule. Why would you want this to happen? As I said, there are bad associations. A good HOA will help maintain your property values.

XeF4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Not changing oil in the driveway. Great rule.
Where should you change your oil then?
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
some locations in socal you may pay up to 500 dollars monthly in hoa fees. horrible.
Wow, that probably hurts the value of a home if anything.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Where should you change your oil then?
My HOA was made to keep out people like you.
laugh.gif

XeF4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My HOA was made to keep out people like you.
People who can change their own oil?
eh.gif
It's a gay/lesbian community isn't it? Even my grandmother can change her own oil.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PlantMedix