• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting this with hesitation. 85 degrees out so the bright colors are coming out.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting this with hesitation. 85 degrees out so the bright colors are coming out.

I like the jacket pattern. I don't think the tie goes particularly well with the jacket however. The parallel and perpendicular intersections of the jacket fight against the rotated intersections of the tie. It creates a weird visual effect IMO.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is the same and I agree that it is easy to wear and I'm entirely happy with it. I also have 14827:

I think that the bottom button of a jacket being at or below the waist of your pants is a sign of a good button stance. I think this jacket is a good example of that. Thoughts.

SYCSYC

Reaction score
Well, gents, your votes clearly stated that I'd better stick to basics.
So here is today's safer choice:

SuitSupply
Charles Tyrwhitt
Ralph Lauren
Meermin

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I think that the bottom button of a jacket being at or below the waist of your pants is a sign of a good button stance. I think this jacket is a good example of that. Thoughts.

I think one would need to take trouser rise into consideration before stating this as a general principle, no? (I also like the jacket, by the way.)

Cheers,

Ac

LAluck5

Reaction score
I like the jacket pattern. I don't think the tie goes particularly well with the jacket however. The parallel and perpendicular intersections of the jacket fight against the rotated intersections of the tie. It creates a weird visual effect IMO.
Yea I honestly wasn't quite sure whether it went but I don't have any solid ties. I need to just pony up some money and get a couple grenadines for times I have a checkered jacket. I thought that maybe the tie pattern was wide enough that it would be fine with the jacket.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think one would need to take trouser rise into consideration before stating this as a general principle, no?

Definitely. Seeing as these pants and coat were made by the same tailor, the balance between the two is intentional. I hadn't ever explicitly thought of the relationship between the bottom button and the waistband of the pants, but it'll probably be in my head now.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss, Upr_Crust.

A few late winter fits. Challis and madder.

Nice chops TP. I've done exactly this a thousand times, so let me say with a degree of humility and in a spirit of mutual enlightenment that the patterns and colors of the squares imo are competing a little too much with the ties. I often find this a particular drawback with many of Drakes' squares when trying to pair them with a patterned tie. I'm strongly committed to the one FU per fit rule, and particularly with regard to the bottom pic, I don't know where to look, as my eye vacillates between two similar splashes of color and scale. I'd go with a picture square (why the Rubinacci's are so versatile) or cream silk.
I like the textured cloth of the second SC a lot.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoulders and colors ^^^ @lordsuperb

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice chops TP. I've done exactly this a thousand times, so let me say with a degree of humility and in a spirit of mutual enlightenment that the patterns and colors of the squares imo are competing a little too much with the ties. I often find this a particular drawback with many of Drakes' squares when trying to pair them with a patterned tie. I'm strongly committed to the one FU per fit rule, and particularly with regard to the bottom pic, I don't know where to look, as my eye vacillates between two similar splashes of color and scale. I'd go with a picture square (why the Rubinacci's are so versatile) or cream silk.
I like the textured cloth of the second SC a lot.

Hey @Pliny ! Thanks for your thoughts.

I like the one FU/fit rule, though I suppose what counts as FU elements are somewhat relative. I'll defend the first fit a little more than the second. The madder is quite dusty so subdued irl, and the square, which is almost solid, is intended to pick up the secondary color in the medallion. So I humbly submit that there is no more than one FU element in that fit :)

The second one might be too arch for a fit: the square was meant to invert a lot of the colors in the tie (which, btw, is in a fabric that I first saw in your fits back in the day and which inspired me to get the same version). The indigo ground of the tie (sort of blue/purple) with green, red and rust in the medallion; the square, rust ground with green and flashes of purple and blue in the pattern. I'm not sure it worked, but just so you know what I was aiming for. I'm not sure a cream square would work in fit 2, but the first square might have been better and sure, if I could afford the Victory square, would have worn it.

@lordsuperb superb, though might I just add that if you're going to take a selfie, pull the phone slightly to the right of your chest so we can better see the tie. Formosa?

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TweedyProf I twigged the color inversion .. Noice. Agree that the 2nd square is less defensible. If I was to be really pedantic (who am I kidding? Guilty.) I'd mention that medallions and neats are suit ties & not for an SC, which again is a rule which, like @Claghorn, I've broken often, though more with solid SCs than patterned, and a flourish I've never really felt fully comfortable with. (Assuming the brown is an SC, and if not, wow, what an FU suit!) The brown with a solid tie, say a silk repp, and a cream square might work.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads