• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blekit

Reaction score
@blekit Nice, but would be nicer with different tie. Rust or burgundy?

As for the ties, I'm not sure if rust would work with pink-striped shirt (either way I don't have one, thing that must be fixed some time i. Burgundy would be nice, but I don't have one in wool and that was my priority today. I think that green goes well enough with both shirt and jacket. Thanks for your opinion!

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TGIF

New jacket and tie

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hal, one of your best fit to date! I really like the jacket lenght and how the trousers fit! As EFV said, though, the shirt collar is a let down, as are the shoes.

Edit* I always thought you were 24, 26, along those lines!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old news, but I will reiterate that I pretty much never like very formal structured wool looking SCs with rumply cotton pants, or even regular looking cotton pants. Just looks super inconsistent/incoherent to me. To pull of a SC like that with cotton pants they need to to be really dressy sleek luxxxxe cotton, im(nsh)o, and even then it needs to be just so and its still on the line for me. Only a few examples of such a look that I like.

Also, I think it works better with summer color and weight wool SC.

#hashtag

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Quote:

Perfection.

Having said that, I'd like to see how a slightly taller shirt collar suits you.

Thanks! And that's a really common suggestion for some reason, but the reality is that I already wear tall collars. The band on this one I think measures 1 5/8" in the front and taller in the back. That's near the highest you're going to see any standard collar band, or even normal mtm/bespoke. I have a couple shirts made with a 2" collar band and two-button fastening, and those are really tall. Going anywhere beyond that totally throws off the proportions of the shirt collar and starts to look ridiculous. Here's a closeup from this fit that shows the collar a bit better. Again, it's pretty tall already, but with my long neck I'll grant you it barely looks normal.

tumblr_om841pj36D1r8bgano3_1280.jpg

Those are some seriously tall cuffs. Are they over 2"?

No, they are 2"

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Marsay

Reaction score
Thanks! And that's a really common suggestion for some reason, but the reality is that I already wear tall collars. The band on this one I think measures 1 5/8" in the front and taller in the back. That's near the highest you're going to see any standard collar band, or even normal mtm/bespoke. I have a couple shirts made with a 2" collar band and two-button fastening, and those are really tall. Going anywhere beyond that totally throws off the proportions of the shirt collar and starts to look ridiculous. Here's a closeup from this fit that shows the collar a bit better. Again, it's pretty tall already, but with my long neck I'll grant you it barely looks normal.

tumblr_om841pj36D1r8bgano3_1280.jpg

No, they are 2"

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sycsyc I am a big fa of your style. These textures are very luxe but I think the white shirt and PS flattens it out a bit. I would try a white shirt with a weave and complementary PS. Maybe even a black shirt as an alternative.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Old news, but I will reiterate that I pretty much never like very formal structured wool looking SCs with rumply cotton pants, or even regular looking cotton pants. Just looks super inconsistent/incoherent to me. To pull of a SC like that with cotton pants they need to to be really dressy sleek luxxxxe cotton, im(nsh)o, and even then it needs to be just so and its still on the line for me. Only a few examples of such a look that I like.

Also, I think it works better with summer color and weight wool SC.

#hashtag

I assume that this is aimed at me. I don't disagree terribly much, but I am shaded by living in a place which is, for a significant part of the year, too hot to wear separately a jacket and any kind of wool. If I were to own only wool pants I'd be doing my best reevolving impression four months out of the year. I'm a dedicated performer willing to do Andy Kaufman proud, but not that dedicated.

As I said though, I've decided those pants are for donation.

Today, bordering on primary colours. Trousers are a navy houndstooth brushed wool with a flannel-like texture.

Is that jacket solaro?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not aimed specifically at you, but also not not aimed at you. :revolve:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads