• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Citan1145

Dig the jacket. Do you have a foulard patterned tie? I think it would add some visual interest beyond the wool Glenplaid.

What do you gents think?

I'd dig that outfit more with a cream colored square and maybe light grey trousers.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on CM May not sound like it, but I'm a fan too, AAS, and apologies if I came across as harsh. You push the boundaries, and imo that's fine in this thread. It's not Whnay's, after all.

I don't understand the Mother Nature reference tho- Women haven'tt got a clue about menswear.
inlove.gif

Not sure if today's fit has any redeeming quality.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Citan1145

Dig the jacket. Do you have a foulard patterned tie? I think it would add some visual interest beyond the wool Glenplaid.

What do you gents think?

I'd dig that outfit more with a cream colored square and maybe light grey trousers.

I would agree. I do have some foulard ties. I usually wear my flannels with this jacket but wanted to be a bit more relaxed with the cotton trousers today, working on a saturday and all. I do need to step up my pocket square game. I own 2, a white linen, and a purple print medallion silk square. Any suggestions on basics that work well across jacket textures and colors?

BTW, I think AAS responds very well to critique and suggestion, totally agree that that was one of the most gracious replies I had seen to criticism on here in quite a while. FWIW I really like the symphony of color AAS usually drums up. Keep doing what you enjoy and try to refine it to be harmonious.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
@SYCSYC
Vass might be in that price range and are your best option construction and appearance-wise imo Hand-lasted and hand-welted. F last is their easy-fit round-toe.

This is their 'London' 3-eye derby in F last and box calf, on the right.
You can go to the Vass pron thread for more info.

Seamless back

C&J also has the 'Highbury' below- 3 eye derby in black calf, but not quite whole-cut. James Bond shoe.

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks good Murl, but I think more contrast between shirt & tie is needed. This could be one occasion were a white shirt might be better?

I believe the fabric is a pale brown, so perhaps a pale pink shirt would add some interesting contrast? Maybe even as a pink micro stripe (ticking) so it's more of a muted tone.

cc @Murlsquirl

And @Pliny...

Great call on Vass, probably best value in any bracket. It is double the price of the others I mentioned, though. But they totally have their own aesthetic.

Last edited:

SYCSYC

Reaction score
And @Pliny ...

Great call on Vass, probably best value in any bracket. It is double the price of the others I mentioned, though. But they totally have their own aesthetic.

Thanks @sacafotos and @Pliny

I wrote derbies but was thinking oxford. The C&J above might get a try.
I need a brand I can visit in Paris, I do not have time to order online and then send it back if it doesn't fit right.

Last edited:

Charhan1

Reaction score
@SYCSYC If no time to order online - Caulaincourt get some love from the Parisian Gentleman - here's an example:

Or cheaper, Septieme Largeur, again they get a good review from The Parisian Gentleman, here's an example:

JHT652

Reaction score

I believe the fabric is a pale brown, so perhaps a pale pink shirt would add some interesting contrast? Maybe even as a pink micro stripe (ticking) so it's more of a muted tone.

cc @Murlsquirl

After posting I realised it was an odd jacket & not a suit, so maybe white isn't the best option for the shirt. I can certainly see a pink stripe of some description working well. Bengal, hairline etc.

The mid blue tie on light blue shirt doesn't work IMHO... But as always, Murl still looks good :)

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#41. Sunday in Osaka.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Coxsackie

Nice and "Anglo" (am I using that right here?). Love it.

I'm looking for a shade of brown/tan cord like yours but slightly more "British tan," so maybe a copper color and another in olive.

Would you say Brisbane Moss is my best bet for fabrics? How many wale do you think your jacket is?

Cheers,

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd call this jacket's cord medium wale. At a guess I'd say each "rib" is around 2.0-2.5mm.

In some lights it looks more olive than brown. It's a Brooks Brothers in the Fitzgerald block.

As a pure coincidence, three of the items in this fit are Japanese - shirt (Kamakura), tie (The Tie), and cardy (Uniqlo). This was not deliberate.

Going back to Kamakura tomorrow morning to spend more of the money I don't have.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS whereas I do like your Ralph Laurenness (and count myself as a fan) I think the fit from the other day had but one item that could have made a difference: the tie.
Too close in scale to the shirt, too close in color to the cardigan. It threw everything a bit off. A striped tie (with lots of space between them) might have worked better

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS whereas I do like your Ralph Laurenness (and count myself as a fan) I think the fit from the other day had but one item that could have made a difference: the tie.
Too close in scale to the shirt, too close in color to the cardigan. It threw everything a bit off. A striped tie (with lots of space between them) might have worked better
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind next time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads