• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3708.jpeg
IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3707.jpeg
DSCF7460.jpeg
DSCF7462.jpeg
DSCF7464.jpeg
DSCF7465.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah this would be a step backwards IMO. Look at those low gorge wide lapels like something off a suit Richard Nixon would wear. Very dated and not flattering.

As for lapel width we are all allowed our preferences of course but a general convention which probably has its roots in aesthetically appealing proportions is for lapels to end one third to one half of the width of the shoulder so the original jacket falls within that scope.

It’s no secret that I lean towards slim lapels but it’s been a pet peeve of mine for ages that SF seems to **** over wide lapels as if the 1970s never happened (they did! I was there and never want to go back!) meanwhile people posting not even skinny but just slim lapels are so often given negative critique and I’ve always found that bias baffling. As is so often the case avoidance of extremes at either end of the spectrum usually brings about the best results. @WoolyLamb ’s jacket has lapels approx one third the width of the chest and certainly looks proportionate.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the knowledge I have gathered it seems the classic standard was/is 3.5 inches subject to jacket sizes. From there the acceptable variance that i found was to be within an .5 inch difference larger or smaller. From my own experiments that has felt right for me at a 41R size. I have tried sizes on the skinny, narrow, standard, and wider (4 inch) widths. For me the thought of having a 4 inch seemed comical until I tried it with a concave or straight belly. It just felt right with the eye, but it did take getting used to since I was not used to seeing it regularly let alone wearing it.

Now I am more attentive to the lapel size especially depending on the jacket styling. I don’t mind a more standard 3.5 on a two button. Just seems more modern in some ways. Anything with a 3 roll 2 buttoning setup either in southern Italian or Ivy style I prefer larger. It just seems to fit there better.

Just my two cents on the subject. I feel lucky to have found what I like so quickly in my own journey (albeit late in the game). It has also happened quickly in the grand scheme of things. Had I been younger during the beginning of this journey I am sure I would have wasted money and not necessarily arrived at this state now.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS, I like the pink & brown combo in principle, but the cord jacket looks better with pants with some texture and depth of color. Overall, I lpreferred the pink & gray look you posted earlier.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is predicted to turn lightly wet later on today. This is the first day after returning from vacation in which I've dressed up - the reason is a party at the Frick museum this evening. I am wearing a suit I've not worn in a while, and after the excesses of two weeks abroad, the waist of the trousers has shrunk considerably . . .

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - KKandJay
Vintage watch chain
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni)
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Weatherproof

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My two cents. Jacket is fine. I’m more disappointed in the shirt collar.

Great suit. The button stance and jacket length balance well with the pant hem. Beautiful shoes.

AAS, I like the pink & brown combo in principle, but the cord jacket looks better with pants with some texture and depth of color. Overall, I lpreferred the pink & gray look you posted earlier.

Agreed. I wore the lambswool cardigan to add more texture. I have dark green flannel trousers, but didn’t feel like wearing them.

The lapel gorge on this suit looks crazy high. I hope it’s just the angle.

The weather in NYC is predicted to turn lightly wet later on today. This is the first day after returning from vacation in which I've dressed up - the reason is a party at the Frick museum this evening. I am wearing a suit I've not worn in a while, and after the excesses of two weeks abroad, the waist of the trousers has shrunk considerably . . .

Tie - Charvet
Braces - KKandJay
Vintage watch chain
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Weatherproof

View attachment 2136839

Perfect.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Tie - Charvet
Braces - KKandJay
Vintage watch chain
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Weatherproof

View attachment 2136839

i havent been on SF in so many years, but checked in today specifically to see if you were still posting Crusty! still killing it!! hope youve been well.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i havent been on SF in so many years, but checked in today specifically to see if you were still posting Crusty! still killing it!! hope youve been well.

Thank you for that accolade of approval, and yes, I am well - just back from two weeks abroad, during which I got broader - those things happen . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads