• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Paging @lordsuperb
Rick was a great wrestler but Mr. Savage was still the ultimate!!

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I would agree. I have a wider brown knit but I felt it didn’t quite fit from a texture perspective. The shade was also a bit brighter than I would have wanted for this cloudy and cold winters day.

That begs the question is size balance more important than color and texture in a case like this? Most of these knits don't go past 2.5 or 3 inches wide.
I hear ya. Much as I like knit ties, I don't find a lot of use for skinny ties (I bought a lovely navy skinny knit in Italy in May and still have never put it on yet).

I end up reaching for a grenadine tie more often (I have 2 in 3.5" and 3.75" width - one from Shibumi Firenze and one from Amide Hadelin) to get that same texture in a fuller tie!

So like this one:

As opposed to this one:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is seasonably cold and is overcast, but not threatening rain any time soon (nor snow). Our plans for New Year's Eve are simple and quiet - dinner out early with a friend, then a retreat back home for some Champagne and some nibbles to go with, watching, among other things, the light show on the Empire State Building.

We decided to eschew black tie for this evening, but I am about as formally dressed as one can be without being in black tie this evening.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Braces - Paul Stuart (sourced from Albert Thurston, I strongly suspect)
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock, London

Happy New Year to you all.

IMG_2238.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG
IMG_2233.JPG
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG

LJ1891

Reaction score
Alright... Ericgereghty.

Now, the first one. I see there has been some progress. Good job! You have included more chin and also a shoulder!
But then the second one, we seem to have regressed. :(

One must see the fit in its entirely, if one's to offer constructive criticism of the aesthetic you are going for, and if it works. A tie on its own is meaningless. It's like a listing on a Macy's website. 68 likes from satisfied customers, but nothing like seeing the tie on a model, or even better, a guy on the street, to make me want to cop it.

Now, you've mentioned delts already -- I take it you are into fitness. Indeed you come across as someone blessed with a very fit neck! What about the rest of you? Roping in on a jacket sleeve can be quite becoming, assuming it's double-breasted, very slim cut with broad shoulders, and medium fit pants, neither slim nor loose. I can see nothing of your suit! I could see more in a Zoom call!
Again, I implore you not to loose the big picture, progression comes one step at a time. Next step-- more shoulders, and maybe more chest. This way we can see what the jacket actually fits like.

I'm proud of you - there has been progess, don't give up!

@ericgereghty @ppk I don’t think this is a bot. Bots know the difference between the words “lose” and “loose”.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not a bot.

I am very much human with feelings.

My goal here is to make @ericgereghty come out of his bashful and self-effacing cocoon, and to post a full-length pic of himself in a suit and tie, showing this forum what a fine young man he is, confident and charismatic, one of Styleforum's finest sons.

Doesn't matter -- my method is coming across as creepy and weird, and sure doesn't seem to be working.
I think acconrad's method is much more effective -- after seeing @acconrad 's fit, if that doesn't make @ericgereghty want to post his New Year eve suit fit in glorious full-length, I don't know what will.

After @acconrad threw down the gauntlet, I thought @upr_crust would rise to the challenge -- didn't he say he had British royalty visiting him for New Year's or something? --- but his NYE outfit is a flop for NYE, if you ask me. More for "opening the antiques brick-and-mortar store on January 3", rather than "NYE Dec 31/Jan 1".

Doesn't matter. I'll forget about @ericgereghty for a little while. Ericgereghty is still splashing around in the shallow end in a giant rubber tire. Today's posts seem to be try-outs for the National Olympic swim team!

What about you, @WoolyLamb? Can you out-do acconrad?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200w.gif

Ok, no mas. Though I do have a dreadful habit of tickling trolls, it does at a point become a touch tedious.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2101187

Kiton DB Tux
Sam Hober Butterfly tie
Turnbull & Asser shirt
Bresciani silk socks
Brooks opera pumps
Vintage cufflinks and studs

Happy new year!
Superb. I had always thought I might get a shawl collar if I ever got a tux made, but now you have me strongly considering a DB….
I hear ya. Much as I like knit ties, I don't find a lot of use for skinny ties (I bought a lovely navy skinny knit in Italy in May and still have never put it on yet).

I end up reaching for a grenadine tie more often (I have 2 in 3.5" and 3.75" width - one from Shibumi Firenze and one from Amide Hadelin) to get that same texture in a fuller tie!

So like this one:

As opposed to this one:

Thanks for the suggestions. I may need to go this route anyways. My navy grenadine is long in the tooth and of poor quality.
I am not a bot.

I am very much human with feelings.

My goal here is to make @ericgereghty come out of his bashful and self-effacing cocoon, and to post a full-length pic of himself in a suit and tie, showing this forum what a fine young man he is, confident and charismatic, one of Styleforum's finest sons.

Doesn't matter -- my method is coming across as creepy and weird, and sure doesn't seem to be working.
I think acconrad's method is much more effective -- after seeing @acconrad 's fit, if that doesn't make @ericgereghty want to post his New Year eve suit fit in glorious full-length, I don't know what will.

After @acconrad threw down the gauntlet, I thought @upr_crust would rise to the challenge -- didn't he say he had British royalty visiting him for New Year's or something? --- but his NYE outfit is a flop for NYE, if you ask me. More for "opening the antiques brick-and-mortar store on January 3", rather than "NYE Dec 31/Jan 1".

Doesn't matter. I'll forget about @ericgereghty for a little while. Ericgereghty is still splashing around in the shallow end in a giant rubber tire. Today's posts seem to be try-outs for the National Olympic swim team!

What about you, @WoolyLamb? Can you out-do acconrad?
No

acconrad

Reaction score
Cheers to my fellow black tie brethren and thank you for the kind commentary! Happy new year and may your 2024 be even better and more sartorially stunning!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads