• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

blewnote1

Reaction score
The pants would benefit from either a cuff to add enough weight so that the break doesn’t splay the fabric out to the sides and/or a bit of tapering.

My guess is they haven't been hemmed at all and that's why they look that way. I'm team big pants all the way but they look comical at the moment. But I know DapperPhilly is usually put together so I'm betting he took this out of the box/bag, threw it on after rolling the pants legs up inside a little, and then posted for those sweet internet likes.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is they haven't been hemmed at all and that's why they look that way. I'm team big pants all the way but they look comical at the moment. But I know DapperPhilly is usually put together so I'm betting he took this out of the box/bag, threw it on after rolling the pants legs up inside a little, and then posted for those sweet internet likes.
@sugarbutch

They are hemmed and thats actually the look. The leg opening is a hair over 9".

The wide bottom look isn't for everybody.

Attachments

• 20230928_141657.jpg
    20230928_141657.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 82

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch

Big bottom pant wearer here. I have several linen pants around 9” opening. I think the pants are too long. I think it would look a lot better with less break.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except for the shirt collar, it could be 1960.
Jacket is pure Ivy of that era.
Yes sir. The jacket is part of a 3 piece suit. Sadly, my butt has gotten bigger. I hope the pants still fit. The jacket is Cricketter for Nick Amster's (Wooster, Ohio). Hook vent in the back. Probably from the 60s.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Big bottom pant wearer here. I have several linen pants around 9” opening. I think the pants are too long. I think it would look a lot better with less break.

I agree the pants are too long - too much break.

But also, I think the shoes are too dainty with that pant pairing. Something bulkier/chunkier might shift the balance a bit. Maybe a suede boot or something? Could be tricky because bulky shoes is not the first thought with a linen suit. But more substantial footwear would work better with the large leg opening.

Reaction score
My first post here, I'm just starting out. I got everything except for the shirt second hand so the entire outfit is <300€:
Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
Tie: Charvet
Jacket: Unstructured Made In Italy (The tag says "Tagliatore")
Trousers: Natalino - Brushed Cotton
Shoes: Carmina Shell Cordovan Long Wing Bluchers Color #8
DSC_1638-2-smaller.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sugarbutch

Definutely bring them up a touch and/or taper the legs below the knee slightly. I'd be inclined to say the upper leg as well, but that's hard to judge off the photos and can't go sideways fast.

The volume of the pants is out of balance with the (relatively) slim cut of the coat.

And, let's be real, if anybody is an expert of a discordant look between coat and bottoms, it's me :rotflmao:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads