• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLH03

Reaction score
Take it up with SuitSupply c. 2016! The trousers were riding a little low today (they are slightly too big at the waist and I normally hike them up) and I appreciate the cut is a little out of fashion with the SF norm of high rise and long jacket.

I also have the issue of being around 5ft 11 but having relatively narrow shoulders so a 38r is typically too large and requires a small fortune in alterations whereas a 36r fits pretty well and just needs the trousers letting out the full amount. However, this creates the issue that my jackets are a little on the short side…

I’ve ordered some high waisted trousers (currently being altered) and will look to experiment with some slightly longer jackets as my suits wear out but short of going down the MTM route I’m not sure what to do.

But in my defence it does cover my arse….

View attachment 2034889
Invest in MTM. Way easier than trying to make the wrong sized suits look good. Used to do the exact same thing you do and finally got some MTM. Never looked back. There’s lots of affordable stuff out there

Nelton

Reaction score
All good. I didn't want to be offensive. I was just pointing out that the trousers are a deal breaker for me in that look.
Haha - don’t worry it’s all good - I probably came across as a little defensive in my response! I’m trying to embrace a roomier fit so let’s see what you all think of what comes back from the tailor!
Invest in MTM. Way easier than trying to make the wrong sized suits look good. Used to do the exact same thing you do and finally got some MTM. Never looked back. There’s lots of affordable stuff out there
I’m planning a trip to Hoi An at Christmas so will definitely pick up some more things and yes I’m quite tempted to go MTM for my next suits as there are a few brands in Sydney sending me lots of advertising…I imagine once I go MTM I won’t be able to go back!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha - don’t worry it’s all good - I probably came across as a little defensive in my response! I’m trying to embrace a roomier fit so let’s see what you all think of what comes back from the tailor!

I’m planning a trip to Hoi An at Christmas so will definitely pick up some more things and yes I’m quite tempted to go MTM for my next suits as there are a few brands in Sydney sending me lots of advertising…I imagine once I go MTM I won’t be able to go back!

Do it, you won't regret. You can wear that slim fit, but everybody will benefit from a roomier cut. Try wider lapels, longer length and wider trousers: you'll see how much more flattering it will be.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was sick last week. Back to business.

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how everyone like denim jacket, but I do personally enjoyed it.

Both the jacket length and sleeves are a touch short, but with this kind of denim it’s hard to adjust ☹️

View attachment 2034863 View attachment 2034865 View attachment 2034867
I always enjoy your pics - both the composition and the threads. This one looked great from a distance when it appeared to be a standard navy jacket but when I zoomed in I just couldn’t get away with the denim texture. As a navy (wool / cotton) blazer, notwithstanding your comment about sleeve length etc, this would have been top drawer but in navy denim it has a bit of a ‘suit-with-sneakers’ feel to it. (I mention that as someone started a suit with sneakers thread once and in every single example of the pics posted I could think of something that would have worked better! I’m reminded of Dr Ian Malcolm saying “we were so concerned in finding out if we COULD no-one bothered to ask if we SHOULD!”)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to get into some Autumn colors and patterns with a recent vintage thrift find from Nino Cerruti. This tie may be a bit too warm for the ensemble but alas it is an experiment. View attachment 2035619 View attachment 2035621 View attachment 2035623 View attachment 2035625 View attachment 2035627
No the tie goes perfect with the checks. The fit is not very flattering. A nip and tuck here and there on your jackets could make a huge difference. Something a little more \ / and a little less / \

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy your pics - both the composition and the threads. This one looked great from a distance when it appeared to be a standard navy jacket but when I zoomed in I just couldn’t get away with the denim texture. As a navy (wool / cotton) blazer, notwithstanding your comment about sleeve length etc, this would have been top drawer but in navy denim it has a bit of a ‘suit-with-sneakers’ feel to it. (I mention that as someone started a suit with sneakers thread once and in every single example of the pics posted I could think of something that would have worked better! I’m reminded of Dr Ian Malcolm saying “we were so concerned in finding out if we COULD no-one bothered to ask if we SHOULD!”)
Thanks for the comment. And I do appreciate you taking easy on me on the wording.

I understand denim is not traditional fabric for suit/ sport coats. However, I guess we both need to admit that it's common used in many RTW brands today. I also recall I used to only find denim fabric in some fashioned leaning fabric makers but now I can find it almost everywhere (and in all different kind of wool/ cotton/ silk/ linen/ ....).

I actually bought 2 denim SC this year, one single breasted and one double. I don't intend to wear them with tie often, but most casually.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how everyone like denim jacket, but I do personally enjoyed it.

Both the jacket length and sleeves are a touch short, but with this kind of denim it’s hard to adjust ☹️

View attachment 2034863 View attachment 2034865 View attachment 2034867
Nawh, that jacket is fire! I'd definitely wear the jacket. And with a tie too. I probably would have sized up to get a longer sleeve. You can also wear shirts with shorter sleeves if you have any to balance things out. I think a lighter colored shoe would have been better. The navy suede is too dark. Looks almost black. Clashes a bit with the jacket.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No the tie goes perfect with the checks. The fit is not very flattering. A nip and tuck here and there on your jackets could make a huge difference. Something a little more \ / and a little less / \
I can certainly see what you mean there and the shoulders on this one are definitely like at minimum for me. I will keep an eye out for that better in my next thrifty pickup. I was likely just too pressed for time/excited for find an interesting pattern in my size to think about this part. Likely not spending any time or money on this one to correct things so more a fun variety piece until I grow my collection with Ideal pieces in time. It was 8 bucks after all. I can barely get a coffee for that here.

DougDevious

Reaction score
thats a lovely foulard, and a neat collar roll too.

I don't quite think the problem here is the low rise as others have said. Moreso it's the jacket, which is somewhat short, with a very high buttoning point. I mean, yeah, pot calling the kettle black, I'm currently stuck with a suit that has that precise problem. I do like the pattern mixing here though, the houndstooth pocket-square is a nice touch, and colored socks are always a win in my book.
I might even say we're kindred spirits in our dauntless approach to pattern mixing, I could see myself wearing this.

Anyway, back here with another volume of outfits from my backlog, this time with a brown flecked 3 button sport coat that I would have kept if it wasn't, like neltons suit jacket, a little too short and high-buttoned.

20230617_154334.jpg
Probably the cleanest image I have of it.

20230617_154259.jpg
Same as above. This outfit was my attempt at getting /tip/'s approval. It worked, briefly, and their compliments were still backhanded, but oh well.
1686875731683994.jpg
Going full 2000s hipster with low-rise skinny jeans. This look probably wouldn't look out of place in a music video for Franz Ferdinand or IDKHOW. Of course, the clip-on batwing is a more personal touch.
This was actually my classmates favourite outfit, and he's one of the most fashionable people I know (at least for contemporary gen Z fashion), so maybe it's only subjectively cringe.
1686876266338235.jpg
Yes. I wore a belt with a waistcoat for extra edge. This waistcoat is actually a little tight even for my tiny frame.

bowtie.png
A proper bow tie, and some pens in my breast pocket for the full "mild-mannered 1960s accountant" look.
WAYWT 20-08-23 2.png
It was with this picture I realized in full clarity just how shabby and unflattering this jacket looks.

20230712_185102~2.jpg IMG_20230712_185413_DRO.jpg
Me the night I received this coat (and the day I got that awful haircut).

20230618_135044.jpg 20230618_140011.jpg
People on /fa/ said I "actually looked human" in this pic. Gee, thanks. Don't know where that polo's got to now though, unfortunately.
rneuhriue.png
Probably one of my all-time favourite combos. Defs coming back to this.
20230619_194229.jpg 20230703_160920.jpg
some other combos.
20230703_160225.jpg
Took this pic for my resume.

Also, because I so enjoy opening myself up to ridicule, here's me "hittin that yoinky sploinky" to an Ace of Base + Streets of Rage mashup (I wasn't even dancing to any music while recording, I was just freeballing in complete silence and added the music later. The mental image of that is straight out of an awkward British sitcom.)

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
If you're wondering what the white part on the back of my shoe is, it's masking tape. I accidentally tore the sole off trying to take one off by standing on it with my other shoe. Been meaning to buy some glue for that.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agnesmefford