• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I suspect is going on here, the buttons were re-attached and moved to the right to allow the two halves to overlap more and thus to close tighter, usually they do that when it's a size or two large
but the bottom button remains where it (and the others) used to be

The garment is actually so designed, quite weird in my eyes.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hola!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find your comments to be very annoying and unwelcomed. Just unsolicited feedback. Since you post in this thread you automatically agree to any unsolicited feedback.

Personally I find this comment of yours absolutely bothering, redundant and out of place. Maybe you could also provide some useful feedback instead of criticising other users posts.

Last edited:

St1X

Reaction score
Personally I find this comment of yours absolutely bothering, redundant and out of place. Maybe you could also provide some useful feedback instead of criticising other users posts
Absolutely. If you didn't like another poster's outfit, you could have send him a PM instead of writing a bunch of posts here that felt pretty aggressive

Stylewords

Reaction score
Absolutely. If you didn't like another poster's outfit, you could have send him a PM instead of writing a bunch of posts here that felt pretty aggressive
I think the problem was the criticism was not about the outfit. Commenting on whether you think certain items go together, for example, seems fine. Here the criticism just focused on a new item (which the OP was pleased about buying) and making a series of negative, highly-subjective (buttoning stance, length...) criticisms. Came across as a little bit weird.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the problem was the criticism was not about the outfit. Commenting on whether you think certain items go together, for example, seems fine. Here the criticism just focused on a new item (which the OP was pleased about buying) and making a series of negative, highly-subjective (buttoning stance, length...) criticisms. Came across as a little bit weird.

I think the sheer volume of criticism from @DorianGreen is also off putting. Sure, people with comment on fits in this thread, but nobody else feels it’s necessary to say “I don’t like [x]” about nearly every fit that gets posted.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When to and when not to give feedback is tough. Feedback use to be the norm in this particular thread. Usually assertive, unsugarcoated feedback. That was par for the course. If you just want likes, go post on Instagram. At some point, things have changed. I've seen several posters come through here with terrible style, receive and take feedback, and leave looking like a million bucks. It was pretty cool to see and take part in.

In my mind, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your opinion on an internet forum. I do often ask as poster if they are interested in feedback before I offer. No need to waste my time. There is always the possibility that others can learn from the feedback even if the OP does not.

That being said, I dislike the jacket. I get what the designers were shooting for, but the proportions are off to me. The hip pocket flaps are too large and clash with the size of the wrist adjusters and the belt. In general, I'm not a fan of huge collars on outerwear. I don't mind the length. Totally practical to stay dry no matter your height.

The last line of defense is the number of thumbs a post gets. I'm sure posters know their average number of thumbs per post. If I wear something I think is awesome and don't get a certain number of thumbs, I start to wonder why did this outfit fall flat? I usually blame the bit loafers, but direct feedback takes the guess work out of the equation.

More feedback, guys, not less.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When to and when not to give feedback is tough. Feedback use to be the norm in this particular thread. Usually assertive, unsugarcoated feedback. That was par for the course. If you just want likes, go post on Instagram. At some point, things have changed. I've seen several posters come through here with terrible style, receive and take feedback, and leave looking like a million bucks. It was pretty cool to see and take part in.

In my mind, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your opinion on an internet forum. I do often ask as poster if they are interested in feedback before I offer. No need to waste my time. There is always the possibility that others can learn from the feedback even if the OP does not.

That being said, I dislike the jacket. I get what the designers were shooting for, but the proportions are off to me. The hip pocket flaps are too large and clash with the size of the wrist adjusters and the belt. In general, I'm not a fan of huge collars on outerwear. I don't mind the length. Totally practical to stay dry no matter your height.

The last line of defense is the number of thumbs a post gets. I'm sure posters know their average number of thumbs per post. If I wear something I think is awesome and don't get a certain number of thumbs, I start to wonder why did this outfit fall flat? I usually blame the bit loafers, but direct feedback takes the guess work out of the equation.

my point is there’s good feedback and less good feedback. Most of @DorianGreen seems to be heavily weighted towards his personal preference as opposed to some more objective reasons for things being off. I guess my point is that I’d take feedback from you much more to heart than anything he posts.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people use to get straight roasted in this thread. you probably havent been here that long to realize that. these minor criticisms are nothin compare to the essays (better term 'diatribe') people use to write
BIG FACTZ!

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There also used to be a much more defined ideal of what was a good fit, what was in good taste, etc. on SF. And let’s not forget that a bunch of the old guard essentially abandoned this thread because of the volume of ****** fits and started the good taste thread.

Many of the posters who provided the harshest feedback had established some sense of authority. Authority it seems can be derived through 1) posting a strong number of good fits that are commonly accepted as such or 2) consistently providing good feedback. Part of the problem I think you run into with DorianGeeen is that he has done neither and most of his feedback he’s provided has been counter to good taste or good style.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not posting often but totally agree. Really surprised how this coat looks way too long. Terrible fit.
That’s because the coat is long. On purpose - to protect the wearer’s legs from the rain which is so frequent here in London. This, however, is not related to fit.

Which aspects of the fit do you think are terrible?

What I suspect is going on here, the buttons were re-attached and moved to the right to allow the two halves to overlap more and thus to close tighter, usually they do that when it's a size or two large
but the bottom button remains where it (and the others) used to be
Nope, that's how it was designed.

I think that is all fair enough and obviously I agree on length. In terms of proportionality, I see what you mean - but I think the wide pocket flaps are offset precisely by the large collar/lapels. I personally like large collars/lapels from a style perspective, especially if they are functional. Here the collar goes up and closes via a throat tab. The lapel also wraps around and can be buttoned at the top (in the last pic).

More broadly, I appreciate all the feedback even though we might be discussing subjective points (e.g. length, size of lapel, etc). Makes the thread more interactive and, of course, useful for other people.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all are largely being whiny babies on this page right now. That's about the extent of it. The criticism was hardly over the top. Agree or disagree, and move on with it.
As long as DG refrains from his predilection (which I believe he has since amended) of making 10 posts instead of multi-quoting, I couldn't care less, and neither should you.

Last edited:

Stylewords

Reaction score
Y'all are largely being whiny babies on this page right now. That's about the extent of it. The criticism was hardly over the top. Agree or disagree, and move on with it.
As long as DG refrains from his predilection (which I believe he has since amended) of making 10 posts instead of multi-quoting, I couldn't care less, and neither should you.
I never understood the whining about not multi-quoting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads