• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I don't. If you're writing about one topic or bringing disparate comments together to make a general point, then I can understand. If he's writing one comment per unrelated fit, it seem fine to me for them to be in separate posts. Either way, it seems a strange thing to get upset about.

Exactly my opinion.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Looks great! Nice fit, well balanced, nice pop of color.
FC3863DB-E86E-4280-86A8-C256497CE28A.jpeg

Thanks - Tough to say from the full size pictures but I think mixing in a wet element may have worked better. Likely the square.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this what happens when you super size it at a Build-A-Bear Workshop?

IMG_4013.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, L L Bean blue and white University stripe OCBD shirt and corduroy trousers, Vineyard Vines Christmas tie, generic pocket square, Polo Golf Fair Isle sweater vest, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

A piece of Zucca E Provolone pizza from Pizza Alla Pala at Eataly in Century City and me.

IMG_4002.jpeg

For those who may want to make Zucca E Provolone pizza at home, here are the ingredients.

IMG_4006.jpeg

For those who look at my posts hoping to see a train picture, the locomotive in the Christmas Village at the Century City (West Los Angeles) mall.

At certain times of the day smoke comes out of the locomotive, people sing and dance on the platform in front of the arched windows, and snow falls on the people watching. Around half an hour after each show ends, janitors sweep up the snow until the next show. There's no business like snow business like no business I know.

IMG_3995.jpeg

For fans of random Christmas In Century City pictures.

IMG_3997.jpeg

For those who want to see more men's wear pictures in online men's wear groups, wearing my Vineyard Vines Christmas tie at the Vineyard Vines store in Century City.

IMG_3992 2.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me preempt the commentaries here: "I don't like the wide lapels." "The pockets are too extreme." "I don't like the background." "I don't like your hair." "Your footwear falls flat." "Your beard is unkempt." "Only fools wear contrasting color shirts." If I am missing something, let me know. I know it all sucks, but I will never be accused of having good taste. Not on SF's watch!

As an academic, nothing anybody here will say will ever be worse than what reviewer 2 writes on a referee report. You can be as candid as you, as long as you can take it as well as dish it out.

Profiss.jpg

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Reaction score

psb

Reaction score
The whole outfit looks great - but that scarf is magnificent!!! I am amused that your "informal" looks much better than 99% of people trying to wear their very best. Well done, sir.
Thank you very much for your kind words.
To me informal means "no tie".

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your kind words.
To me informal means "no tie".

You are most welcome. Yes, I appreciate informal meaning no tie - but where I live it has devolved to the point where informal attire means yoga pants and runners...or maybe worse :puzzled:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When to and when not to give feedback is tough. Feedback use to be the norm in this particular thread. Usually assertive, unsugarcoated feedback. That was par for the course. If you just want likes, go post on Instagram. At some point, things have changed. I've seen several posters come through here with terrible style, receive and take feedback, and leave looking like a million bucks. It was pretty cool to see and take part in.

In my mind, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your opinion on an internet forum. I do often ask as poster if they are interested in feedback before I offer. No need to waste my time. There is always the possibility that others can learn from the feedback even if the OP does not.

That being said, I dislike the jacket. I get what the designers were shooting for, but the proportions are off to me. The hip pocket flaps are too large and clash with the size of the wrist adjusters and the belt. In general, I'm not a fan of huge collars on outerwear. I don't mind the length. Totally practical to stay dry no matter your height.

The last line of defense is the number of thumbs a post gets. I'm sure posters know their average number of thumbs per post. If I wear something I think is awesome and don't get a certain number of thumbs, I start to wonder why did this outfit fall flat? I usually blame the bit loafers, but direct feedback takes the guess work out of the equation.

More feedback, guys, not less.

This comment is spot on to me and exactly reflects my position and my intentions in commenting here. I certainly don't want to impose my points over others ones, I just offers my view according to my aesthetic feeling. Of course everything about style is subjective, what I like is perhaps disliked by another one. I think however that as long as a criticism is specific and substantial and expressed in a polite and respectful way, it would add to the discussion, that is ultimately the purpose of a forum. And it's not true that I only posted negative comments, quite the opposite, I mostly have praised the outfits shown. I'm astounded how much hate my comments seem to have raised.

If the game here is just to collect likes, I'm not interested.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this what happens when you super size it at a Build-A-Bear Workshop?

View attachment 1867733

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, L L Bean blue and white University stripe OCBD shirt and corduroy trousers, Vineyard Vines Christmas tie, generic pocket square, Polo Golf Fair Isle sweater vest, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

A piece of Zucca E Provolone pizza from Pizza Alla Pala at Eataly in Century City and me.

View attachment 1867736

For those who may want to make Zucca E Provolone pizza at home, here are the ingredients.

View attachment 1867737

For those who look at my posts hoping to see a train picture, the locomotive in the Christmas Village at the Century City (West Los Angeles) mall.

At certain times of the day smoke comes out of the locomotive, people sing and dance on the platform in front of the arched windows, and snow falls on the people watching. Around half an hour after each show ends, janitors sweep up the snow until the next show. There's no business like snow business like no business I know.

View attachment 1867739

For fans of random Christmas In Century City pictures.

View attachment 1867742

For those who want to see more men's wear pictures in online men's wear groups, wearing my Vineyard Vines Christmas tie at the Vineyard Vines store in Century City.

View attachment 1867744
I thought LA was famous for its smog? Is it a seasonal thing or have efforts to clean up the environment somehow found a level of success? I’m going to have to re-evaluate my understanding of ‘sky blue’!

Professor_3

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about having a pocket on your dress shirts? A lot of my ready to wear shirts have them but i deviated away from that with my MTM dress shirts. But this pic is interesting to me because it almost looks like something is missing and I’m wondering if it’s a pocket. I wonder if a monogram on the left 12th rib would change my opinion…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads