• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.deJong

Reaction score
Ecstatic, inbreeding and all that.
Indeed! And don't forget that he was also a little 'mad'.

He had some nice daughters though, who were also not that bright. But again you cannot blame them.
The environment they lived in was really strange. You should read more about them. Really interesting story.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy holidays. Last tie of the school year.

13C5F64F-A377-45ED-B1E7-50D1A0944481.jpeg

1E4D3890-F338-4C7E-B1F1-862E0835C8B3.jpeg

A5930367-4B7D-480A-AEB1-28653DE12FB3.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question and a thought:
Q: How high is the rise on your trousers?
T: though I am a staunch advocate for properly fitting trousers, I find the break of these too aggressive. To me, it evokes memories of ill fitting, overly baggy trousers that are so prevalent amongst the pudgy and middle aged. I'd much prefer slightly less break and a slightly (and I do mean slightly) tapered leg opening.
Starting late today for the last day in the office this year.

Details:

Jacket: Chester Barrie, hand taylored cashmere
Shirt: Tyrwhitt
Tie and ps: Shibumi
Trousers: Pini Parma
Socks. Pantherella
Shoes: AE McGraw cordovan
Braces: Albert Thurston

View attachment 1301879 View attachment 1301880 View attachment 1301881 View attachment 1301882 View attachment 1301883 View attachment 1301884
Really like this tie. Is this Shibumi's navy/grey grenadine?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T: though I am a staunch advocate for properly fitting trousers, I find the break of these too aggressive. To me, it evokes memories of ill fitting, overly baggy trousers that are so prevalent amongst the pudgy and middle aged. I'd much prefer slightly less break and a slightly (and I do mean slightly) tapered

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T: though I am a staunch advocate for properly fitting trousers, I find the break of these too aggressive. To me, it evokes memories of ill fitting, overly baggy trousers that are so prevalent amongst the pudgy and middle aged. I'd much prefer slightly less break and a slightly (and I do mean slightly) tapered leg opening.

Hi Eric,

Watch the video of the fit on my YouTube channel. You might change your mind.

Static pictures don’t capture the full essence of these trousers. They need to be seen in motion to appreciate the choice of proportions.

Alan Bee[/QUOTE]

psb

Reaction score

yes, that is exactly the tie you mentioned.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

Watch the video of the fit on my YouTube channel. You might change your mind.

Static pictures don’t capture the full essence of these trousers. They need to be seen in motion to appreciate the choice of proportions.

Alan Bee

I get the rationale. Still not a static look I like, as I know I'd find myself constantly fidgeting with my waistband to reduce the break whilst not moving.
[/QUOTE]
yes, that is exactly the tie you mentioned.
Cheers. I really like Shibumi's grenadines, and have been meaning to add the block stripes.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the rationale. Still not a static look I like, as I know I'd find myself constantly fidgeting with my waistband to reduce the break whilst not moving.

Cheers. I really like Shibumi's grenadines, and have been meaning to add the block stripes.
[/QUOTE]

@ericgereghty

Eric, fortunately IRL we don’t have to maintain static poses for WAYWRN fit posts all day long ?

Full cut trousers demand a fuller break and larger hem opening to drape properly when in motion.

Alan Bee

psb

Reaction score
View attachment 1302275

Hi, I really like it
But I think he would win with another type of shoe, personally put a garnet brogue derby.
Are you happy with the Pini pants?
Greetings.
Thank you for your recommendations @giuseppe. I am fully contended with the Pini trousers, fabrics and shape are perfect for me. Best regards.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: @Alan Bee (mistakenly edited out the quoted reply)

Again, I get your rationale. I just don’t agree, at least not to the degree you prefer. For my money, a slightly lessened break/increased taper would give you the best of both worlds. I do a fair amount of public speaking/presenting (sadly, often without the benefit of a dais), and pants cut with such volume would absolutely distract me, much the same way GQ-esque cropped pants would when they ride up to damn near my calves whilst in motion.

We’re not in disagreement. I just find your adherence to the “rule” above a touch too extreme.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the Diehl Marcus & Company Holiday Soiree in East Hollywood (two blocks south of the Vermont/Sunset Red Line subway station) last night.

(This may be the first picture ever posted in this thread with someone waring a fez.)

IMG_3436.jpeg

Dunn & Company Harris Tweed jacket and vest, Brooks Brothers British-American Chamber Of Commerce Christmas tie, L L Bean yellow OCBD shirt, Jim Thompson pocket square, Orvis corduroy trousers, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

For fans of "Piece-Of-A-Person" pictures, a pieces of three persons picture from last night.

IMG_3440.jpeg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FallanHowards-01.jpg
FallanHowards-03.jpg
FallanHowards-04.jpg
FallanHowards-05.jpg

Suit: Fallan & Harvey
Shirt: Zegna Couture
Tie: Howard's
PS: Berg & Berg
Shoes: Lobb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads