• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epicure

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback @Andy_00. I hadn't really thought of the gorge in relation to the button stance, but you make a good point. Having said that, I actually requested a lower gorge, but it wasn't possible. Few MTM outfits will do that kind of modification, as far as I can tell. The button stance actually sits at my natural waist, but I agree it does appear quite low in the photos. The effect could maybe have been mitigated somewhat by a longer jacket (which I also asked for), but I agree that the combination of these things is not optimal.
I agree with @Andy_00 with one qualification. The gorge is not only too high relatively speaking, it is simply too high regardless of the other stylistic features mentioned. Very much IMHO, of course. An exceptionally high gorge just looks odd and wrong to my eyes, no matter what.

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First MTM suit by a tailoring outfit in Helsinki. They have a good reputation but I've been quite unimpressed with their work. The initial measuring struck me as a little slapdash and the process overall was long and frustrating. The first pass did not fit well at all and they never really addressed my concerns in subsequent rounds of alterations. After five attempts and few improvements, I gave up and took it to my local tailor instead. Thankfully she nailed it. I'm very happy with the result, even if it took several months longer than expected. Curious what you guys think.

View attachment 904759 View attachment 904760 View attachment 904761

@Michael81 If you're going to go for full-cut trousers (which I love BTW - drapes superbly down your long legs), then the jacket should be a tad fuller and just sooooooo slightly longer.

The suit looks good but a fuller jacket would transform the look incredibly. Very nice choice of cloth BTW and paired very well with accessories.

Alan

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Andy_00 with one qualification. The gorge is not only too high relatively speaking, it is simply too high regardless of the other stylistic features mentioned. Very much IMHO, of course. An exceptionally high gorge just looks odd and wrong to my eyes, no matter what.

Agreed. It's not my preference either, but it wasn't possible to change it.

Epicure

Reaction score
Agreed. It's not my preference either, but it wasn't possible to change it.
Understood. I've had recent problems similar to this with MTM ventures of my own. It can be quite painful when one has taken great care to explain one's preferences only to have the outcome fall short of what was in the mind's eye, even if only a little short. While not executed exactly as you have hoped, as others have pointed out, it's still a very wearable suit. Better luck next time!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather is back to a normal range of temperatures here in NYC, and the roads are clear enough to brave them in proper shoes, so I'm back in a suit.

Suit & shirt - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Tie & braces - Lewin
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Pocket Square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Zegna
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

IMG_7135.JPG

IMG_7130.JPG
IMG_7131.JPG
IMG_7132.JPG
IMG_7133.JPG
IMG_7134.JPG

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbour, Musto, Kiton & Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

7EBE4449-C0D4-462C-8FB8-A7E3C9BF90E1.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wore this Saturday night, for a coronation ball. Was able to snap a quick picture.

So far, have had two wears since around mid-December. Also, Mr. V., are you able to spot that barely discernible makeup smudge (I am just neurotic about such things).

DSC00103.JPG

post-jpg.905377

post-jpg.905376

Last edited:

blekit

Reaction score
During my second order I decided to bring my first suit to the tailor to make some alterations. The sleeves were lengthen just a bit, the jacket was taken in in the waist and the buttons were brought closer together. I am quite satisfied with the final effect, but I would like to know your opinion.

Also, maiden voyage for the burgundy oxfords.

tumblr_p2bz8pQsIl1wo50r1o1_1280.jpg

received_1837980079575243~2.jpg

received_1837979972908587~2.jpg

* suit by Krupa & Rzeszutko
* Tyrwhitt
* tie from Embassy of Elegance
* ps from Poszetka
* Yanko shoes

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily