• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romain

Reaction score
Does anyone knows how long the newbie I am will be subject to moderation? Due to the delay my fryday outfit has appeared five pages ago this morning: (feedbacks are welcome :D )

Here is some casual fridaywear :

(Jacket is too short, its my first try for DB ,also pants seems to be too slim at the thighs)

Ps: the pants are longer than they seem to be in 3rd photo.

Last edited:

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score

Casual Friday
7a8cbc5a.jpg

have a good weekend all​

Is that a Brooks Brothers Bag you're carrying? I have a similar BB version.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyway, my experience that night got me thinking about something Vox posted a week or two ago, regarding men having the social connections and obligations that require dressing well. Nobody at the dinner was even dressed a little bit well. Most of the men were wearing jeans, t-shirts, wool stocking caps, sneakers. I didn't feel uncomfortable, but I could have dressed in my more typical daily casual style, say grey flannel trousers, a patterned button down and a v-neck sweater, and I still would have been the only person in the room to make an effort. What's more, I probably would have seemed more elegant, in that context... it got me thinking that this brand of classic men's style is becoming truly archaic.

Yes, it's archaic.

It simply doesn't exist as a common/shared frame of reference as normal/standard dress for a majority of the adult male population in the way it once was. This also is true across the social strata from top to bottom in my opinion, and I routinely deal with a very broad cross-section of the public including seeing them in their homes. What has remained with us to a much greater degree is its cultural baggage, accounting for its (relative) survival within certain social groups. As such, like many an archaic turn of phrase, it retains a more deliberate and symbolic meaning.

This is why I think it's rather daft to talk of some outfits as costume and others as classic menswear. They're all costume today in the subconscious mind of the large majority of the population, even when worn seriously for the most sober and conservative business meeting. A majority of the suited men in the most rarified boardroom only dress like that FOR work and otherwise wear jeans and a T at home (or cords & a button-down collared shirt at most), with some more fashionable stuff picked out by their partners for purely social engagements.

A more useful dividing line IMO is whether your clothes work for your life/needs or not. Some groups of business and social contacts develop a subculture of dressing up a bit because of a combination of expectations, traditions and enjoyment of the role associated with that cultural baggage. If you like clothes, you'll naturally tend to gravitate to those groups, or at least, notice them when you encounter them. Most people posting on SF self-select from these latter groups, and that's why we enjoy the opportunities offered by the board.

Last edited:

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's becoming apparent that I need to press my trousers more often!

-TTO

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, it's archaic.

It simply doesn't exist as a common/shared frame of reference as normal/standard dress for a majority of the adult male population in the way it once was. This also is true across the social strata from top to bottom in my opinion, and I routinely deal with a very broad cross-section of the public including seeing them in their homes. What has remained with us to a much greater degree is its cultural baggage, accounting for its (relative) survival within certain social groups. As such, like many an archaic turn of phrase, it retains a more deliberate and symbolic meaning.

This is why I think it's rather daft to talk of some outfits as costume and others as classic menswear. They're all costume today in the subconscious mind of the large majority of the population, even when worn seriously for the most sober and conservative business meeting. A majority of the suited men in the most rarified boardroom only dress like that FOR work and otherwise wear jeans and a T at home (or cords & a button-down collared shirt at most), with some more fashionable stuff picked out by their partners for purely social engagements.

A more useful dividing line IMO is whether your clothes work for your life/needs or not. Some groups of business and social contacts develop a subculture of dressing up a bit because of a combination of expectations, traditions and enjoyment of the role associated with that cultural baggage. If you like clothes, you'll naturally tend to gravitate to those groups, or at least, notice them when you encounter them. Most people posting on SF self-select from these latter groups, and that's why we enjoy the opportunities offered by the board.
Yes, my clothes do work for me in my life. My style has remained fairly static for many years now, and I dress casually most days, though I'm perceived as being dressed up by those around me. That suits me fine. It's really that I like to dress up and take advantage of any opportunity to do so. While I recognize that all clothing is costume, I think we can all agree that we strive to look comfortable in our clothes, and don't want to be described as "costumey." Again, I can attribute this partly to dining with a group of strangers, but it's a bit awkward to have your clothing garner undue attention. An interesting parallel is that I wore the same suit the previous weekend to an opening party at the Hammer Museum. The event was for the show Now Dig This! which is a survey of African American artists in Los Angeles from 1960-1980. I expected there'd be a lot of well dressed black men at the show, and I was right. In that context, I was well dressed, I got some complements and approving nods here and there, but I was also fairly anonymous. I want more opportunities to be in settings like that, but the truth is that I have very few of them, which is a bummer.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's becoming apparent that I need to press my trousers more often!
-TTO

I think rumpled works well too. Do you have any wire rimmed glasses? I get the feeling those would work well on your face, with the beard and your style.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone knows how long the newbie I am will be subject to moderation? Due to the delay my fryday outfit has appeared five pages ago this morning: (feedbacks are welcome
biggrin.gif
)

Looks good to me. Nicely done. Don't know the reason for delay. Maybe they're trying to keep the riff-raff out?
uhoh.gif

I have a feeling J-Dub might be the best dressed man on StyFo.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, my clothes do work for me in my life. My style has remained fairly static for many years now, and I dress casually most days, though I'm perceived as being dressed up by those around me. That suits me fine. It's really that I like to dress up and take advantage of any opportunity to do so.

Very recognizable.

IsteRed

Reaction score

This morning -
Robot pose:
RLPL1.jpg

RLPL3.jpg

RLPL4.jpg

RLPL5.jpg

RLPL6.jpg

RLPL7.jpg

Suit: RLPL DB
Shirt: Charvet
Tie: Shoes and Shirt Maastricht
Shoes: Borrelli/Sutor
I know that gorge is super high...not much I could do with it though =/
I want to get my fitment down before I jump into the bespoke pool. Suggestions?

I just love this high gorges...

ctp120

Reaction score

This morning -
Robot pose:
RLPL1.jpg

RLPL3.jpg

RLPL4.jpg

RLPL5.jpg

RLPL6.jpg

RLPL7.jpg

Suit: RLPL DB
Shirt: Charvet
Tie: Shoes and Shirt Maastricht
Shoes: Borrelli/Sutor
I know that gorge is super high...not much I could do with it though =/
I want to get my fitment down before I jump into the bespoke pool. Suggestions?

WADR to the OP, this is a perfect example of striped cloth revealing significant alterations and/or balance problems with RTW.

Edit: Looks like moving the anchoring button a bit would help significantly, but that would narrow the overlap and perhaps cause other issues. I'd be interested to hear one of the resident tailors comment on how/if this is easily fixed.

Last edited:

ianGP

Reaction score

LOL, actually it is pretty high - any higher and it would be on top of his shoulder. Nice fit all round though.

Yes about the gorge.
This is a sharp looking fit overall - quite sharp.
I would suggest that the jacket could be upwards of a full inch shorter - the current proportion does flatter your torso but at the expense of making your legs look a little stubby. I'm not proposing that you wear the current very short jacket look, by the way.
The very Republican tie is sort of appealing in a quirky way. I assume you realize that by wearing it you are 'drawing a line in the sand' with everybody you meet before you even get a chance to know them, and they you? Is your employment that strictly partisan?
-G

IMO, this was the snazziest post of the week and is worthy of a re-post. Absolutely dashing.

If I could better articulate the fit and personal stance I would like to have, this would be it. Very nice.

Thank you very much guys! It is definitely a significant improvement to the previous fit I had recently posted!
@G - I agree about flattering the torso with a longer jacket - I just don't have enough of me to flatter both my torso and my legs(I'm 5'4)so I have to pick one :( Unless you know of a trick or two. Also, I work for a financial institution so no political affiliation, I just have to be somewhat conservative business dress....most days :) I can get away and push the envelope every now and then though. I didn't realize that is what I could portray....I just thought it was a nice color combo.

WADR to the OP, this is a perfect example of striped cloth revealing significant alterations and/or balance problems with RTW.
Edit: Looks like moving the anchoring button a bit would help significantly, but that would narrow the overlap and perhaps cause other issues. I'd be interested to hear one of the resident tailors comment on how/if this is easily fixed.

Yep, Will Fields of Field English Tailors in DC had to do so much slicing and dicing to get it to fit me. He had to do a basted fitting, raise the armholes and a bunch of other stuff. I have one of those weird bodies that just doesn't work with RTW. Bespoke is in the near future but I want to get a good grasp of fitment before I go jumping on the deep end of the pool.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm through with hacking pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members