• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hire Me

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in the cases where your hypothesis is not the case, the politics are nearly insurmountable. an electrician who becomes chief foreman can make 250+, but the dicks he has to suck along the way make it unpleasant/next to impossible.

Originally Posted by Bradford
FYI - the people who didn't go to college may have better-paying jobs initially, but with rare exceptions the cap on what they will ever earn is much lower than for someone with a college degree.

That being said, I agree that a bachelor's degree has basically become worth about as much as a high school degree used to. I highly recommend going back as soon as possible for an advanced degree of some sort. You need it to get the good jobs and move up to top-level management eventually. Don't be like me and wait nearly 20-years to go back to school.

tc6

Reaction score
Believe it or not, an Econ professor at Rutgers told me the same thing. He told me that a degree in Economics would put me in the same boat qualifications wise as a Finance major. He said the advantage of an econ degree was that I would have a better understand of life. Then I spoke to a person I know who has done VERY well(I'm talking $2-3 million dollar bonuses) and he strongly insisted I stick with finance, as some of the major concepts behind a finance degree are necessary to get anywhere in the field.
Basically, I'm gonna cover my a$$ and get do a double major in Finance and Accounting. I'm also gonna plan to go to any and every networking event at Rutgers. I've been told by many that networking is key. Some of my older friends who have 3.0 GPAs landed the better internships and jobs than those with the 3.9 GPA because they networked more. My sister's friend is bringing in about $80K a year 2 years after graduation, while my sister is still trying to find a job.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this too.

Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
life just sucks in general.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tc6
Believe it or not, an Econ professor at Rutgers told me the same thing. He told me that a degree in Economics would put me in the same boat qualifications wise as a Finance major. He said the advantage of an econ degree was that I would have a better understand of life. Then I spoke to a person I know who has done VERY well(I'm talking $2-3 million dollar bonuses) and he strongly insisted I stick with finance, as some of the major concepts behind a finance degree are necessary to get anywhere in the field. Basically, I'm gonna cover my a$$ and get do a double major in Finance and Accounting. I'm also gonna plan to go to any and every networking event at Rutgers. I've been told by many that networking is key. Some of my older friends who have 3.0 GPAs landed the better internships and jobs than those with the 3.9 GPA because they networked more. My sister's friend is bringing in about $80K a year 2 years after graduation, while my sister is still trying to find a job.
I would definitely do the Finance and Accounting route. I wish I did that. The understanding life thing is bullshit. The fact is that companies come to Rutgers to recruit from the Business school for most positions. Financial Analyst positions for instance go to Finance and Accounting majors. Economics majors, not so much. I couldn't even find an internship worthwhile with a 3.5 GPA, while kids in the Business school got pretty good internships with worse GPAs and worse qualifications in general. I also probably could have networked more. I'll be attending the career fair next week, and hopefully just not getting laughed at. I've even thought about going back and actually getting another Bachelors in Accounting in the Business school. Sort of like a re-do.
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
life just sucks in general.
Yes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i am talking to the university i am supposed to teach at about setting up some kind of pre-grad, 4-6 week work preparedness/professional training program. i constantly get advertising majors with no fundamental skills and no idea how to behave/perform in a working environment.

Yes, but some of us with experience, and high GPA's still can't get jobs!
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

enjoiii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tc6
Believe it or not, an Econ professor at Rutgers told me the same thing. He told me that a degree in Economics would put me in the same boat qualifications wise as a Finance major. He said the advantage of an econ degree was that I would have a better understand of life. Then I spoke to a person I know who has done VERY well(I'm talking $2-3 million dollar bonuses) and he strongly insisted I stick with finance, as some of the major concepts behind a finance degree are necessary to get anywhere in the field.
Basically, I'm gonna cover my a$$ and get do a double major in Finance and Accounting. I'm also gonna plan to go to any and every networking event at Rutgers. I've been told by many that networking is key. Some of my older friends who have 3.0 GPAs landed the better internships and jobs than those with the 3.9 GPA because they networked more. My sister's friend is bringing in about $80K a year 2 years after graduation, while my sister is still trying to find a job.

I've thought about going for a double major in accounting and finance but I think I'm gonna just stick with accounting and do the honor's program. My dad is a chartered accountant so I've got connections at all the firms in the Big 4, which definitely should be very helpful when I graduate.

Completely agree with what everyone has been saying about liberal art's major's coming out with no marketable skills and not having a clue what they want to do.

pokey07

Reaction score
I think a lot of those going to college would be better off getting degrees in accounting, engineering, nursing, etc. and colleges should make students aware of the REAL job prospects of liberal arts majors. Now if I want to go back to pursue accounting, I'm putting myself 30k more in debt (totaling to about 60k...).

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enjoiii
Completely agree with what everyone has been saying about liberal art's major's coming out with no marketable skills and not having a clue what they want to do.

I just came out of school with a liberal arts degree essentially (Poli Sci) and just landed a job in Finance/Banking. What got me the job? Networking.
smile.gif

Marbles29

Reaction score
The whole networking thing seems pretty arbitrary. The predominant hiring qualification is whom one knows. Merit plays an increasingly token role.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i am talking to the university i am supposed to teach at about setting up some kind of pre-grad, 4-6 week work preparedness/professional training program. i constantly get advertising majors with no fundamental skills and no idea how to behave/perform in a working environment.

That is a brilliant idea - they need to have this at every school.

Originally Posted by Bradford
FYI - the people who didn't go to college may have better-paying jobs initially, but with rare exceptions the cap on what they will ever earn is much lower than for someone with a college degree.

That being said, I agree that a bachelor's degree has basically become worth about as much as a high school degree used to. I highly recommend going back as soon as possible for an advanced degree of some sort. You need it to get the good jobs and move up to top-level management eventually. Don't be like me and wait nearly 20-years to go back to school.

Yup

Originally Posted by tc6

Zubin, have you ever considered starting your own business? If you have some savings, and aren't heading anywhere leading to success you should consider it. Think about what interests you have, the types of business connections you have and what type of business you think you could run well. I'm planning on going into business for myself before 30 unless I'm making insane amounts of money working for someone else.

This isn't by any means easy or necessarily smart. Trying to start a business when you can't even land a normal job or barely know how **** works isn't always the best idea.

Originally Posted by pokey07
My whole college career was full of misinformation. For the amount you pay, they really have to work on the college advising departments, at least at the school I was attending. The worst was me listening to an Economics professor and majoring in that rather than go into the business school (also Rutgers Business school). I haven't been able to find a big boy's job since graduation, but I have been working a job that pays less than minimum wage lol.

Some of the absolute worst advice I got came from very respected professors.

Originally Posted by tc6

Economics is only good if you graduate on top of your class from one of the most prestigious schools, and have the soft skills to land one of the few good jobs available to that very select group of people. In other words, don't do it.

I would definitely do the Finance and Accounting route. I wish I did that. The understanding life thing is bullshit. The fact is that companies come to Rutgers to recruit from the Business school for most positions. Financial Analyst positions for instance go to Finance and Accounting majors. Economics majors, not so much. I couldn't even find an internship worthwhile with a 3.5 GPA, while kids in the Business school got pretty good internships with worse GPAs and worse qualifications in general.

I also probably could have networked more. I'll be attending the career fair next week, and hopefully just not getting laughed at.

I've even thought about going back and actually getting another Bachelors in Accounting in the Business school. Sort of like a re-do.

Yes.

Ya'll know my opinion on this. Accounting, accounting, accounting, and this comes from a finance undergrad. Do accounting above all, and maybe do a finance minor if you really want to. You can get pretty much any finance job with an accounting degree, but you can't get most of the jobs that require accounting with just a finance degree.

Originally Posted by enjoiii
I've thought about going for a double major in accounting and finance but I think I'm gonna just stick with accounting and do the honor's program. My dad is a chartered accountant so I've got connections at all the firms in the Big 4, which definitely should be very helpful when I graduate.

See above. Definitely accounting above finance, and definitely do the honors program. Maybe take a class or two in finance if you are interested. If you really love it, start working on your CFA but AFTER you get your CPA.

Originally Posted by Marbles29
The whole networking thing seems pretty arbitrary. The predominant hiring qualification is whom one knows. Merit plays an increasingly token role.

Ehhh, it depends. Networking is great, but sometimes overrated, especially for new grads. The absolute best way to get a real job out of undergrad is still with the established feeder programs through on-campus recruiting. Which means GPA and Major matter.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Ya'll know my opinion on this. Accounting, accounting, accounting, and this comes from a finance undergrad. Do accounting above all, and maybe do a finance minor if you really want to. You can get pretty much any finance job with an accounting degree, but you can't get most of the jobs that require accounting with just a finance degree.

Where were you when I started college?! I have to go back to school if I want to do the Accounting route, but my predicament is that I already have 30k worth of debt from undergrad. The one program I'm looking at is another 30k... I'm not sure that it's the best decision for me to go 60k in debt for an Accounting degree.

tc6

Reaction score
Flambeur,

You seem like you're pretty knowledgable on the subject of Finance and Accounting. Do you have any advice for us Undergrads? Obviously, aiming for the highest GPA, networking and getting an internship is required, but what else would you recommend to find a good job after graduation? Are their any particular types of internships to seek?

If you don't mind answering, where did you go to school and what type of job position are you in now, and at which company?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where were you when I started college?! I have to go back to school if I want to do the Accounting route, but my predicament is that I already have 30k worth of debt from undergrad. The one program I'm looking at is another 30k... I'm not sure that it's the best decision for me to go 60k in debt for an Accounting degree.

Well, I made the same mistakes as you did.

Anyway, look at it this way. What's your earning potential now? $60K in debt is not outrageous if you have a secure career. If you go back for Masters in Accounting program at a reputable school, and get good grades, you most likely will be able to get a decent starting salary, and you will have a pretty secure career unless you manage to ******* up. I've seen CPAs working corporate jobs hit six figures well before 30yo.

Originally Posted by tc6
Flambeur,

You seem like you're pretty knowledgable on the subject of Finance and Accounting. Do you have any advice for us Undergrads? Obviously, aiming for the highest GPA, networking and getting an internship is required, but what else would you recommend to find a good job after graduation? Are their any particular types of internships to seek?

If you don't mind answering, where did you go to school and what type of job position are you in now, and at which company?

Go to a big well-known company that has a good development program. If you are in Accounting or something, go to Big4, if you are in finance, go to a good finance rotation program

There was just a big thread about school and careers that I started several weeks ago. There are many more answers there.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junglemike